Yet Another Example Of Bad Driving.....!

UZI
Posted
Posted

On my way to Gaisano in Tabunok today a car casually wandered from the right lane to the left in front of me. No signal except for an arm hanging from his open window to give a lazy wave. Par for the course but a few yards later he turned sharply from the left lane, across the right into a side street. Again no signal. Bloody bad drivers.So....this happens every day - yes? So why post this. Well he was an EXPAT.I would guess he is also one who complains at how bad Pinoy drivers are. I know of one, who drives like he owns the road, always in the left lane holding everyone up while driving at 30/40 kph. Doesn't care. When he is stopped at security at SM he gets out VERY slowly to open the trunk, even though he is holding up other drivers, just to annoy the guards, who are only doing their job. He brags about this too. Spent a large part of his life in America, so where does he get the attitude from? Here or there? wosautos121.gifAnyone else know of bad foreign drivers? Uzi

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

The foreigners I know in Korea that drive are pretty bad drivers, but only because of local conditions, they say. Still, the Koreans I ride with are much worse. I got used to driving my scooter in Taipei like the Tazmanian Devil, and took the habits back to Canada with me. After a day of being honked at constantly, I adapted back to Canadian driving habits.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

LOL!!!!Wait until you see me driving!!!! There is no filipino who will ever come in my car for any ride further than the gate of my subdivision.Driving in PI rules the law of the jungle, i practice as such and 8 years now not even the slightest accident.No rule, i forgot all of them, at least my nerves do not brake down as it did before. Everytime i drive i think as "payback time" hehehehehehe

Inspector
Posted
Posted
LOL!!!!Wait until you see me driving!!!! There is no filipino who will ever come in my car for any ride further than the gate of my subdivision.Driving in PI rules the law of the jungle, i practice as such and 8 years now not even the slightest accident.No rule, i forgot all of them, at least my nerves do not brake down as it did before. Everytime i drive i think as "payback time" hehehehehehe
:lol:I totally agree here...driving the way of the conditions you are in are a MUST. This goes for the United States as well....try driving like an old lady going to church on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway during rush hour, or somebody from Minnesota driving on a LA freeway. Same goes the other way, a New York driver blasting the highways in rural Ohio will be cursed out as much as that rural driver going the speed limit on a New York freeway, putting his blinker on expecting to be "allowed" in a lane, only to have the driver push up and not allow him in....forever. Drivers in New York are not the most polite, and blinkers are hardly ever used. Use one and you are labeled quickly as a "foreigner"...and will not get a break, unless it's your car. You simply MUST fit into the local culture ways, and this goes for driving. While in New York, drive like an aggressive arsehole, and while in the Philippines, drive as the locals do. You can't change Rome.. When I drive in the Philippines, I drive well (Pi standards of horrible) simply because of my New York style style driving, although I will say that driving in the Philippines has a new set of rules that does take some getting used to, the jeepneys making u turns when they wish, trikes in the left lane with 30 people and a sala set, little bikes lane splitting.... and people walking within inches of traffic the most glaring difference. The sticking out to stop cross traffic was hard to adjust at first, but I was amazed at how they stop...shocking at first, knowing if I did that in New York, I would be in a fistfight once a day....or a revenge road rage cutoff. In the USA and other parts of the world, that is called cutting you off, and can get you shot and killed in LA for doing that at worst, an automatic finger gesture at the least. I just close the windows, put on the AC, crank some music, and think of the scene as a video game....as it seems to be, and a VERY hard one at times. Hmmm...now there is an idea for a PS3 game...Manila Madness....how many obstacles can you come up with? :SugarwareZ-037:

love2winalot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hiya: Before when i was driving, after a while my Wife hit me in the head, and said that, 'I was having to much fun". Back in 1985 i got sent from Korea, to the AUSA Conference in washington DC. 8 of us, and 1 Korean soldier of the year. We rented a car and drove out to the statue of Liberty. The Korean was looking around, out the window, turning around in the Car, and finially ask, "Why is everyone driving so slow'?:SugarwareZ-037:

Edited by love2winalot

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Hey :wt-hell:!!!!!!! I'm retired!!!! So, what's the freaking rush???? I hate those whiners behind the wheel that constantly complain about other drivers! What do you expect? This is the Philippines and driving habits hasn't really changed!!! Just have to grin and bare it!!! There's just more vehicles nowadays on the roads and a lot of crazy drivers behind the wheel! I only drive my old 1979 Toyota just to do our grocery shopping once a week on the average, I leave those other days vacant for those other crazy drivers to kill themselves to make more room for everyone else that are more responsible when behind the wheel! :AddEmoticons04230: SugarwareZ-004.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hiya: Before when i was driving, after a while my Wife hit me in the head, and said that, 'I was having to much fun". Back in 1985 i got sent from Korea, to the AUSA Conference in washington DC. 8 of us, and 1 Korean soldier of the year. We rented a car and drove out to the statue of Liberty. The Korean was looking around, out the window, turning around in the Car, and finially ask, "Why is everyone driving so slow'?:wt-hell:
I hope I'm not prying too much into your background but I had a feeling that you are a veteran. The "AUSA" which is the Association of US Army sparked my interest. Soldier of the Year is a very prestigious award -- well done sir!Getting back on topic, thank god I was drunk in the back seat of a Korean taxi zig-zagging at warp speed. Everythingwas a blur and thank god I held my lunch throughout the whole experience.Jake

• 1 month later...
Magyar
Posted
Posted

I must have a death wish -- I rode scooters and motorcycles all over Palawan, Cebu and Bohol and never had an incident. Make no mistake, it is an adventure! I don't just mean the other drivers but also the roads. The pavement can end without warning or most of the road can be closed off with just a tree limb. If you are not paying attention, you can end up in big ditch.I have learned that there is only one traffic law: the law of physics -- the bigger guy has the right-of-way. Trucks and buses go anywhere they want, everyone yields to them.Coming from the USA, it was a joy not to be harassed by cops. The speed limits seem to be advisory in nature, nobody pays any attention, as are many of the other road signs. I found the drivers in most places to be courteous, or maybe they just saw the cazy pariner coming and let me get by.At one point I needed to re-tighten the connection to the scooter's battery so the starter would work. I did not have any tools. I walked up to a truck driver parked nearby and asked him for a screwdriver. He loaned it to me and then he came over and fixed my battery cable. I love the Philippines!

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I have learned that there is only one traffic law: the law of physics -- the bigger guy has the right-of-way.
Words to live by - literally. Great advice. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
gapotwo
Posted
Posted

back in the day in olongapo, my best driving manners was when i was THREE SHEETS IN DA WIND :tiphat: watch out when im sober wosautos121.gif . does the PH. even have a DUI. law????