Yet Another Example Of Bad Driving.....!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My best guess is that the average foreign retiree has been driving for much longer than the average filipino. It is expected, (hoped for?), that this would make a person better at it.So now you have a choice. Your experience can help you be the biggest a**h*le driver on the road, OR, it can help you to set an example for less experienced drivers. It is unfortunate that my experience seems to be that the majority of expats I know choose the former course of action.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My best guess is that the average foreign retiree has been driving for much longer than the average filipino. It is expected, (hoped for?), that this would make a person better at it.So now you have a choice. Your experience can help you be the biggest a**h*le driver on the road, OR, it can help you to set an example for less experienced drivers. It is unfortunate that my experience seems to be that the majority of expats I know choose the former course of action.
Why do you think that is the case? From my experiences I have to agree with you, but I have often wondered why many expats feel the need to drive worse than a local 89.gif instead of trying to set a good example for everyone? I have heard of way too many expats getting into accidents while living in the PHL, and one would think they would try to be extra careful instead of trying to emulate the locals, and some of the expats I have spoken to seem proud that they drive just like a Filipino (their words).SugarwareZ-037.gif

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . It is unfortunate that my experience seems to be that the majority of expats I know choose the former course of action.
Why do you think that is the case?
I think that many western males see life as a rat RACE in which one must get AHEAD to win. This seems to translate to driving such that many want to be in front of everyone else as they believe it is the winning position.I have been trained, (30 years as a bus driver in my past life), to think of my passengers as customers and all other people on the road as potential customers. I "win" when those around me would vote for me as a safe and comfortable driver.I find it most irritating when I have a carload of western males giving me a bad time because I am letting those other drivers get ahead of me. I have, on occasion, shown them how I can also be the most aggressive SOB on the road, but I am not happy with myself when I bow to that peer pressure.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
. . . It is unfortunate that my experience seems to be that the majority of expats I know choose the former course of action.
Why do you think that is the case?
I think that many western males see life as a rat RACE in which one must get AHEAD to win. This seems to translate to driving such that many want to be in front of everyone else as they believe it is the winning position.I have been trained, (30 years as a bus driver in my past life), to think of my passengers as customers and all other people on the road as potential customers. I "win" when those around me would vote for me as a safe and comfortable driver.I find it most irritating when I have a carload of western males giving me a bad time because I am letting those other drivers get ahead of me. I have, on occasion, shown them how I can also be the most aggressive SOB on the road, but I am not happy with myself when I bow to that peer pressure.
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter and for telling us your way of driving, which I believe to be the correct way. I would show those expats the car door and tell them to use it, if they do not like how I drive. I feel it is more about being taught courtesy and respect for others while growing up and those expats giving you a hard time about your driving translates to me that they were never taught those things or forgot them, and if a person does not have respect for me and my ways, then I would not have respect for them and do not need them in my car. Why should I give them a ride if they will criticize my driving and do not appreciate the ride enough to not do so. It is also my belief that quite a few expats think they are superior to the locals and maybe even everyone around them, and therefore do not respect other drivers or even others of their own or other races, and that may be another reason they feel the need to act up. I try to live by the golden rule because I as you apparently feel it rubs off on some people while I find that with others nothing at all would help, though I must admit that I too fail at times. IMO keep driving the way that makes you happy, and tell those that ride with you that it is your way or they should find other modes of transportation. I feel we do not have to stoop down to others poor way of doing things to make them happy. IMHO people need to learn to play nice and get along with all others on this planet who also wish to play nice or the whole world will get even worse in the future.