Dengue Fever News & Updates

fred
Posted
Posted
One of the most important things you can do besides getting rid of the breeding grounds for mosquitoes is to keep clean! 

Build a fish pond!!  

Since we have had ours the mozzy population in our area is definitely less which if you think about it makes sense.

They search out clean water and lay larvae which is then eaten by fish..

We also have a stagnant area of the pond which originally had literally thousands of mozzy larvae.. I killed them with chemicals and changed the water.. Since then this area is full of tadpoles..

Not a single wriggler in there..

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Would just like to add, if noone already mentioned it.... Keep an eye out for a skin rash, that along with any other symptoms should definitely merit a visit to the hospital, mate of mine got it last year & was out of action for a few weeks.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I had dengue a while back... No hospital as I'm not going there unless there is blood.  Me and 1 brother-in-law got it after a trip to Adventure Park on Bohol.  We did do a magical smoke treatment for the rash and it seemed to help.  I was sick, sick for 1 week, then sick for 2 more weeks, then recovering for 3 weeks.  That stuff really took me down; I never went through anything like that before.  I am a healthy sort that never imagined it could take so long to get over it.

Skeeter tips:

1. Bathe. After a shower the little buggers will not like you as much. 

2. Put liquid alcohol on.  It is a little less toxic than putting on the skeeter poison.  After all it poisons both you and them, just hopefully not enough to kill you. 

3.  If you use the poison you should wash it off with soap when the exposure has passed.  Especially for you hard core chemical users that like DEET.

That is all.  :cheersty:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Our daughter is currently in ICU at a hospital in Bacolod with Stage 2 dengue. This is the 2nd time that she got it. Not good.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Best wishes & health for your daughter.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Our daughter is currently in ICU at a hospital in Bacolod with Stage 2 dengue. This is the 2nd time that she got it. Not good.

:unsure: Thoughts and prayers with you... hope she is resting well by now. :bedtime2:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Update: Her blood platelets went down to 6, normal is 150. She looked bad. Her doctor gave her 24 hours to live. So far, 10 days in the hospital. We all stay there too, my wife in the bed with our girl, me on a cot, her sister and 2 cousins on the floor. She has now bounced back to normal platelets but has pneumonia and is on oxygen and IV antibiotics. Bruises everywhere. Not good news about how much Philhealth covers. Their website is different from the truth.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Update: Her blood platelets went down to 6, normal is 150. She looked bad. Her doctor gave her 24 hours to live. So far, 10 days in the hospital. We all stay there too, my wife in the bed with our girl, me on a cot, her sister and 2 cousins on the floor. She has now bounced back to normal platelets but has pneumonia and is on oxygen and IV antibiotics. Bruises everywhere. Not good news about how much Philhealth covers. Their website is different from the truth.

Hello JPBago,

On behave of my fellow expats we wish that you and your family gain more strength and patience

as your daughter gains more strength in courage.  We sincerely hope for her quick recovery.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We had some good flooding last week - our yard was about 9 inches deep.  The road was knee high on a foreigner.  now we have stagnant water ALL over the place, and mosquitoes are abundant!  We are considering getting mosquito netting for the bed.  The mosquito repelling incense only does so much good.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

We had some good flooding last week - our yard was about 9 inches deep.  The road was knee high on a foreigner.  now we have stagnant water ALL over the place, and mosquitoes are abundant!  We are considering getting mosquito netting for the bed.  The mosquito repelling incense only does so much good.

Mosquitoes and other insect bites are the only thing I cannot tolerate in the Philippines.  Same thing in Florida!

They have some really big ones.  I had to resort of getting my afternoon delights, rather than at night where the

mosquitoes zero in on my naked butt......he, he.  

I get no respect sometimes -- Jake

• Like 3