Dengue Fever News & Updates

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

We had some good flooding last week - our yard was about 9 inches deep.  The road was knee high on a foreigner.  now we have stagnant water ALL over the place, and mosquitoes are abundant!  We are considering getting mosquito netting for the bed.  The mosquito repelling incense only does so much good.

As a Surigao Filipina said:

-The flooding goes only up to the knee, so no problem   :dance:

I had to resort of getting my afternoon delights, rather than at night where the mosquitoes zero in on my naked butt

A long time back in school, we had been at a party at countryside through the night too. When we went home by bus, one of the guys sat some odd with only half of his but on the seat, because of a mosquito bite   :)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We had some good flooding last week - our yard was about 9 inches deep.  The road was knee high on a foreigner.  now we have stagnant water ALL over the place, and mosquitoes are abundant!  We are considering getting mosquito netting for the bed.  The mosquito repelling incense only does so much good.

As a Surigao Filipina said:

-The flooding goes only up to the knee, so no problem   :dance:

Yes, but knee on a foreigner is waist high on a Filipino!  Sorry... rude... couldn't resist...  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Update: Her blood platelets went down to 6, normal is 150. She looked bad. Her doctor gave her 24 hours to live. So far, 10 days in the hospital. We all stay there too, my wife in the bed with our girl, me on a cot, her sister and 2 cousins on the floor. She has now bounced back to normal platelets but has pneumonia and is on oxygen and IV antibiotics. Bruises everywhere. Not good news about how much Philhealth covers. Their website is different from the truth.

perhaps  you should take a copy of the article listed below and show them..

however since you not said if it was public/private hospital and if the hospital is "charge" a kano tax.

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/special_package/case_rates.htm

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/10802-philhealth-how-much-they-pay

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/412-a-typical-hospital-bills/

since your dont say where you live, in city?province? perhaps for the rest of the family a

"prepaid health card" in case of a next time,

cant post it now . let me look and update soon

could you share what they did pay or willing to pay so others can be aware of "this pitfall" that philhealth doesnt pay

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Update: Her blood platelets went down to 6, normal is 150. She looked bad. Her doctor gave her 24 hours to live. So far, 10 days in the hospital. We all stay there too, my wife in the bed with our girl, me on a cot, her sister and 2 cousins on the floor. She has now bounced back to normal platelets but has pneumonia and is on oxygen and IV antibiotics. Bruises everywhere. Not good news about how much Philhealth covers. Their website is different from the truth.

Sorry I did not see your posts until now, I hope your daughter has recovered and if you could update us on her condition as I'm sure many here have her in their thoughts.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

perhaps  you should take a copy of the article listed below and show them..

however since you not said if it was public/private hospital and if the hospital is "charge" a kano tax.

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/special_package/case_rates.htm

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/10802-philhealth-how-much-they-pay

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/412-a-typical-hospital-bills/

since your dont say where you live, in city?province? perhaps for the rest of the family a

"prepaid health card" in case of a next time,

cant post it now . let me look and update soon

could you share what they did pay or willing to pay so others can be aware of "this pitfall" that philhealth doesnt pay

We are all home now, she was discharged Friday noon after 11 days. She was in a private hospital, Riverside Medical, a tertiary hospital with 300 beds. Doctor's Hospital was full. Cost was 163,500p and Philhealth paid 11,200p. They peso'd us to death with charges like twice a day a nurse came in to take blood. Charges were for her mask, gloves, syringe, bag of cotton balls,roll of tape etc and she went from room to room with the same mask, gloves, tape, and cotton balls charging 100s of patients over  and over. That is just one of the examples. I am only on page 1 of 7 of the bill. I saw a number of charges for oxygen masks but we never kept any. We only used one.  We were ready to go by 7 AM but the bill wasn't ready so they charged us another 1/2 day.

We are happy to be home. What is this "prepaid health card"? Is it a visa debit card with a $100,000 load?

Look at this link: http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2011/dengue_cmpnsble.php  It says 31,300p in a level 3 hospital which we were in.

The link in the other post says they pay 32,000p for pneumonia but we never got a peso yet for the last 4 days, her platelets were normal but she had pneumonia.

More to follow........

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted
We are all home now, she was discharged Friday noon after 11 days.

SuPeR ConGRaTS on this! ! !  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Good to hear that your little one is doing better now.  I'm sure many of us were holding our breaths waiting to find out.

:thumbsup:  :dance:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

There is more. Round 2. Our other daughter got stage 2 dengue on July 24, just 12 days after our first one came home. We are pros at this now. Straight to Doctor's Hospital (Level 3) but first you need a platelet count below 150. She went from normal to 126-80-45-40 then we got a platelet transfusion, then 60-86-111-200. Five days in the hospital cost 49,000p, Philhealth paid 8,000. The hospitals in Bacolod are full of dengue patients. Our doc had more than 50 in stage 2. Our nephew (on the ex side) was in also( from the other side of Bacolod.) A 22 year old nurse from nearby passed away. She waited too long before being admitted.

This platelet transfusion......first we got 3 guys of same blood type to come in for screening. I had to pay 200p each plus feed them. Two failed so I had to pay them 200p more to go home then I brought in 3 more. Same pay and food. All 3 failed so I brought in 4 more. Same pay and food. In the panic, my wife lost a cell phone. 

Of all 10, 4 passed, 2 sold 500ml and 2 were on standby. The ones that gave blood, I had to pay each 700p more, according to the lab, plus more chicken and rice, 200p more to go home plus a bag of hamburgers as they were so weak they thought they were going to die. Some people call them donors. HaHaHa!

In other topics, I read about being prepared. My advice is to have a list of names of each blood type of each of your loved ones. When the platelets were down to 45, my wife was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
In other topics, I read about being prepared. My advice is to have a list of names of each blood type of each of your loved ones.

That's good advice, the blood donor situation here is downright scary. I hope you have medical insurance besides PhilHealth.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In other topics, I read about being prepared. My advice is to have a list of names of each blood type of each of your loved ones.

That's good advice, the blood donor situation here is downright scary. I hope you have medical insurance besides PhilHealth.

I do not have any other health insurance for my family, only for me from my employer in Canada. What is available? Cocolife is only for employees.

Red Cross does have some blood but you need a backer to get it and for dengue, it has to be from a fresh walk in. Processing is another 4,200p per 500ml.