Throw Away Ticket

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
An important thing to remember though if you book the "throw away ticket" in advance dates you can actually get at least 30% of it refunded. It's what I normally do with Cebu Pacific tickets as you can sort most issues out over the internet.
Way back when, I wasn't familiar about the follow-on ticket rule and I too bought a refundable Air Cebu Pacific one-way ticket to somewhere and it wasn't a throw-away ticket at a cost of $289 for two. But, when it came time to refund the ticket, it took 6 months for the travel agent where I bought the tickets, to refund just a portion of the ticket and I never claimed the P1,200 travel tax because I had to go to the Office of Tourism in person to sign for it. Since I didn't like driving into Manila, I told them they can have the P1,200 travel tax. No more Air Cebu Pacific tickets for me thank you unless I intend to use them if there's a next time!And later on, I found out that Clark Field in Angeles City had opened and started two "no frills" flights with Flying Tigers and Asia Air which tickets were around $35 to $50 (nonrefundable)per person to quite a few East Asian countries! Now that's what I call cheap "throw-away tickets"! For sure, a ferry boat to China or any island outside of international waters where one can get their passports stamped with the BB one (1)year permit is cheaper! How about a sail boat cruise? But not in pirate infested waters? Sounds fun though eh! Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 3 months later...
Search
Posted
Posted

I would like to confirm my understanding. If I arrive without a visa (USA citizen), I need to have a ticket leaving the country. http://immigration.g...id=16&Itemid=80

Nationals from countries listed below are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination.
At one time. I thought that one had to have a ticket out of the country within 21 days. Currently, I believe that the onward ticket needs to show one is leaving within 59 days.http://immigration.g...258&Itemid=103.
Visa upon arrival to no visa required temporary visitorsMEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. MCL--08--003 Pursuant to Section 18 of Memorandum Circular No. MCL-005 and in the interest of public service, and effective immediately, no visa required temporary visitor arriving in the Philippines who wishes to stay here for more than Twenty-one (21) but less than (59) may apply for a visa upon arrival at the airport of entry instead of securing a visa waiver in the Bureau's main office or any of its field offices upon payment of $50.00 visa fee plus P500.00 Express Fee and P10.00 Legal Research Fee. The Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division is hereby instructed to inform all Bureau personnel and all relevant government agencies to proper dissimination of the memorandum circular.
If I have a ticket for a flight 4 months after arrival, will that be sufficient for both airline and immigration? Search

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would like to confirm my understanding. If I arrive without a visa (USA citizen), I need to have a ticket leaving the country. http://immigration.g...id=16&Itemid=80
Nationals from countries listed below are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination.
At one time. I thought that one had to have a ticket out of the country within 21 days. Currently, I believe that the onward ticket needs to show one is leaving within 59 days.http://immigration.g...258&Itemid=103.
Visa upon arrival to no visa required temporary visitorsMEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. MCL--08--003 Pursuant to Section 18 of Memorandum Circular No. MCL-005 and in the interest of public service, and effective immediately, no visa required temporary visitor arriving in the Philippines who wishes to stay here for more than Twenty-one (21) but less than (59) may apply for a visa upon arrival at the airport of entry instead of securing a visa waiver in the Bureau's main office or any of its field offices upon payment of $50.00 visa fee plus P500.00 Express Fee and P10.00 Legal Research Fee. The Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division is hereby instructed to inform all Bureau personnel and all relevant government agencies to proper dissimination of the memorandum circular.
If I have a ticket for a flight 4 months after arrival, will that be sufficient for both airline and immigration? Search
In my experience,as long as you have an onward ticket to some where you wont have any problem. Only once was I asked by the airline staff about the date of my return ticket and I explained to them the 21 day waiver and extensions and they said, well you know more about it than us and that was the end of it.As for immigration; never have I had to show the onward ticket as its the airlines responsibility to make sure you have one .

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
In my experience,as long as you have an onward ticket to some where you wont have any problem. Only once was I asked by the airline staff about the date of my return ticket and I explained to them the 21 day waiver and extensions and they said, well you know more about it than us and that was the end of it.As for immigration; never have I had to show the onward ticket as its the airlines responsibility to make sure you have one .
Things are never the same in the Philippines. Two people talking to two different immigration officials are going to get two different answers.My experience is that I have ALWAYS had to show the onward ticket to immigration at the airport in Mactan, (having entered the country there 4 times now I have had to show that exit ticket 4 times). The first 2 times I had an exit ticket 59 days after arrival with no problem. The 3rd time they questioned it and offered to sell me a visa, (I have heard of others buying the 'airport visa' only to find out later it was illegal so I declined it). The 4th time I made sure my exit visa was for 20 days later, (an airline ticket on PA from Manila to KK for 1,000 P on special), and they smiled and told me to have a nice day.Oh yes, I have always entered the country via Hong Kong to Cebu on Cebu Pacific and that airline has ALWAYS asked me to produce my exit ticket.My experience seems to be the extreme but there you have it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Things are never the same in the Philippines. Two people talking to two different immigration officials are going to get two different answers.My experience is that I have ALWAYS had to show the onward ticket to immigration at the airport in Mactan, (having entered the country there 4 times now I have had to show that exit ticket 4 times). The first 2 times I had an exit ticket 59 days after arrival with no problem. The 3rd time they questioned it and offered to sell me a visa, (I have heard of others buying the 'airport visa' only to find out later it was illegal so I declined it). The 4th time I made sure my exit visa was for 20 days later, (an airline ticket on PA from Manila to KK for 1,000 P on special), and they smiled and told me to have a nice day.Oh yes, I have always entered the country via Hong Kong to Cebu on Cebu Pacific and that airline has ALWAYS asked me to produce my exit ticket.My experience seems to be the extreme but there you have it.
Could it be that maybe you have paper tickets where I have E-tickets which maybe show on the computer system?I mean if I had to show immigration anything its really just a print out of my itinerary as I dont have an onward ticket until I check in for the flight out. .I fly with Singapore airlines to Singapore then by their subsidy Silk Air to Cebu and vise versa.Perhaps you should take that guilty look of your face before flying, lol, just joking. biggrin.gifI believe there is no such thing as an Airport Visa these days.

Search
Posted
Posted (edited)
Perhaps you should take that guilty look of your face before flying, lol, just joking. biggrin.gifI believe there is no such thing as an Airport Visa these days.
I must have a guilty face, also. I was asked about my onward flight by immigration. It has only happened once by immigration but always by Cebu Pacific. Do you think that MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. MCL--08--003 Visa upon arrival to no visa required temporary visitors has been superseded or do they just not bother to issue a visa at the airport anymore? Edited by Search

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Perhaps you should take that guilty look of your face before flying, lol, just joking. biggrin.gifI believe there is no such thing as an Airport Visa these days.
I must have a guilty face, also. I was asked about my onward flight by immigration. It has only happened once by immigration but always by Cebu Pacific. Do you think that MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. MCL--08--003 Visa upon arrival to no visa required temporary visitors has been superseded or do they just not bother to issue a visa at the airport anymore?
OK your flying with a Philippines owned carrier which seems to ask from the posts here,anyway can I ask you if you fly with paper tickets issued at a travel agent or E-tickets printed from your computer;,just curious to know if there is a difference as far as immigration is concerned.As for the airport issued visa, I thought I had read it some where but maybe I mistook it for the over stays that wanted to pay up at the airport.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I always travel with etickets these days. I thought everyone did. I just show them a printout and they are happy. Can it be forged? Probably but then these guys look at dozens of them a day and they may just check you out if it looks suspicious.Every one of my exit tickets have cost me 1,000 Pesos or less, all in. I search well in advance for specials and buy the ticket knowing full well I will never use it or apply for a refund.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I must have a guilty face, also. I was asked about my onward flight by immigration. It has only happened once by immigration but always by Cebu Pacific. Do you think that MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. MCL--08--003 Visa upon arrival to no visa required temporary visitors has been superseded or do they just not bother to issue a visa at the airport anymore?
The memorandum says 'may apply for a visa' one at the airport, but it does not say you will get it there. Sounds like Philippine double talk. Anyway, I searched for the news item I read some time ago but can't find it. The article referred to the BI deciding NOT to issue visas at the Mactan airport because the crooks there were taking the graft that the downtown crooks were used to getting. Of course that is paraphrased and of course my memory is probably faulty. I only remember the article because I thought it was funny.