American Shot Dead In Angeles

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I'm not paranoid. I'm simply an introvert. Always have been..
Hi Mik, I had an idea what introvert meant but wanted to get the full meaning. So I looked it upan introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people. Introverts are more concerned with the inner world of the mind. They enjoy thinking, exploring their thoughts and feelings. Being introspective, though, does not mean that an introvert never has conversations. However, those conversations are generally about ideas and concepts, not about what they consider the trivial matters of social small talk.Interesting, That sounds like me a little

Inspector
Posted
Posted
You chances of dying at home by violence are far greater than dying in the Philippines by violence.
Depends upon if you are living in a trailer park vs suburban middle class america. Depends also, upon if you a drug dealer,gang member vs choir boy. In NYC, I can blend in and avoid the hot spots. In Manila, I can avoid the hot spots after learning them all, but can never "blend in".

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I'm not paranoid. I'm simply an introvert. Always have been..
Was not a direct quote towards you being one, although after rereading it, it might sound as such and my apologies if you took it as such...just myself saying I am not a paranoid type person. I too am introverted as I age....:th_signs083:

Mik
Posted
Posted
[Hi Mik, I had an idea what introvert meant but wanted to get the full meaning. So I looked it upan introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people. Introverts are more concerned with the inner world of the mind. They enjoy thinking, exploring their thoughts and feelings. Being introspective, though, does not mean that an introvert never has conversations. However, those conversations are generally about ideas and concepts, not about what they consider the trivial matters of social small talk.Interesting, That sounds like me a little
That's me, 100%. I go to the mall once a month. I pick a weekday so it's not crowded. I still try to hurry out of there. It is tiring for me being around a lot of people. The compound is 2000 sqm and our side is 1200 sqm. I've got room to move around. I walk the compound every morning for 30 minutes and later after breakfast I chase the basketball for 15 minutes. Staying home is low stress. Some people think that's boring, but I have plenty to keep busy (I don't watch TV either). I don't live in a subdivision, but many of the neighbors around here are distant relatives (of my wife) and are pretty good people. It's safe here. Although there's been 2 murders in this barangay in the last 4 or 5 years that I heard of. I just try to live quietly and be a good neighbor and mind my own business (I don't have a business)..

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I hear of a lot of murders of foreigners in the PI but I don't hear about the scams as much. I mean, I hear of scamming families and affairs, but compared to Thailand, pretty ordinary stuff. One thing I heard from Thailand is a guy went home with a bar girl to her place, was told to wait for her in a room, and after a while they sent in a young girl. He was confused and then the girl started screaming. In a second there were neighbors and relatives, and not far behind, the police. He had to pay them off or go to jail for a long time. Whether that story was told honestly or not, I don't know. But it does sound like something that could happen to work over the foreigner. Other things I've heard about from Thailand were bar girls (or other?) drugging the customer and then stealing all of their stuff. My friend went home with a bar girl and then woke up missing his wallet. She was still there and helped him go to the police station to file the report. He guesses she let a friend in during the night. Anyways... in the Philippines things seem a lot more straight forward: robbed at gun point and maybe shot, or pressured to give to family for phantom problems. note: I'm just talking about the bad people here, not all Filipinos or Thai.

Jake
Posted
Posted

As a Filipino with an American accent (dollar speaking), I have the luxury of blending in, as long as I keep my mouth shut. But when I see an injustice before my eyes, I tend to speak my mind. For example, many years ago in Subic City, I witnessed a fat drunken slob trying to tip over a tricycle. Nobody said anything or try to help the tricycle driver. I jumped on his case by saying (actually shouting) -- WTF, knock it off! Thank god, he quickly turned around and staggered away. I would assume hewould be a marked man among the tricycle drivers.I mentioned before that most local violent incidents become national news in the Philippines and therefore are perceived as a national problem, especially when foreigners are involved and getting the front page. I currently live in southern Californiaand would not ordinarily get news about the daily violent crimes happening in Washington DC, the national murder capital. Maybe someone could research violent crimes per capita in the Philippines vs USA. Respectfully -- Jake

sjp52
Posted
Posted

TEN WORST COUNTRIES FOR MURDER (LATE-1990s) COUNTRYPER 100,000 (1) Columbia 84.4 (2) El Salvador50.2 (3) Puerto Rico 41.8 (4) Brazil 32.5 (5) Albania 28.2 (6) Venezuela 25.0 (7) Russian Federation 18.0 (8) Ecuador 15.9 (9) Mexico 15.3 (10) Panama 14.4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Media is reporting murders in other places.Today in Inquierer about an American national and a Filipino shot in Iligan CIty http://newsinfo.inqu...-in-Iligan-CityAmerican, Filipino shot dead in Iligan City By Karen Boncocan INQUIRER.net First Posted 17:43:00 09/21/2010 Filed Under: Crime, Murder MANILA, Philippines—An American national and a Filipino were shot dead Monday in Iligan City, police said. US national Steve Kindy and Filipinos Paulrafe Cameon and Merlyn Obial of Garner's Internet Cafi! were on board a jeepney in the vicinity of Mahayhay village when they were shot by unidentified assailants. They were rushed to the nearest hospital. But Kindy and Cameon were declared dead on arrival while Obial was recovering from gunshot wounds, police said. Authorities were still investigating the motive for the shooting.And another one in Angeles.....http://newsinfo.inqu...in-Angeles-CityBritish national shot dead in Angeles City By Karen Boncocan INQUIRER.net First Posted 23:23:00 09/21/2010 Filed Under: Crime MANILA, Philippines -- A British national was shot dead by two unidentified suspects in Pulung Maragul village, Angeles City on Tuesday, according to police reports. The victim, identified as Bruce Anthony Jones, was driving a gray Mitsubishi Lancer sedan along Don Jose Street with his wife Maricel Aramay Jones when they were shot by the assailants on board a motorcycle. Jones died of gunshot wounds while his wife was brought to a hospital, police said. An investigation is underway to determine the suspects' motive in shooting the couple, provincial police said.Time for me to stop reading the news. I think my life if much better off not knowing.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
TEN WORST COUNTRIES FOR MURDER (LATE-1990s) COUNTRYPER 100,000 (1) Columbia 84.4 (2) El Salvador50.2 (3) Puerto Rico 41.8 (4) Brazil 32.5 (5) Albania 28.2 (6) Venezuela 25.0 (7) Russian Federation 18.0 (8) Ecuador 15.9 (9) Mexico 15.3 (10) Panama 14.4
A lot of these murders are due to drugs. As I said, murder rates in the USA are a bit tricky, since the vest majority are gang related, drug related and social status related. If you are not a crip, nor a drug dealer, and have the money for two cars and a house in a middle class suburb, you are less likely to murdered.