American Shot Dead In Angeles

sjp52
Posted
Posted

95 foreigners killed since 2009 From January 2009, to mid-June 2010, 95 foreigners have been killed during their trip in the Philippines. From January 2009, to mid-June 2010, 95 foreigners have been killed during their trip in the Philippines. According to police reports, Indian nationals are the most affected with 29 victims followed by Korean (15 victims) and American nationals (14 victims). Officials also recorded the killing of nine Germans, eight Japanese nationals, six British, four Chinese, three Canadian, three Australian, two French, two Finnish, and one Norwegian, Dutch, Taiwanese, Pakistan, Iranian, Malaysian, Spanish, Slovenian and Swiss national. Due to terrorist attacks and insurgents activities, most Western embassies advise their citizens against all travel to Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago. There is a high threat of terrorism throughout the country and travelers must be aware that attacks could be indiscriminate and may target places frequented by foreigners. Kidnapping threat remains high especially in the Sulu archipelago where a Swiss national has been abducted in April 2010. As street crimes may target tourists, it is recommended to keep a low profile while travelling to Philippines. You may see our "security abroad" factsheet for further advices.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Starting to rethink that gun survey on an earlier post.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys for doing the research. And now the 2009 analysis -- given the fact that USA has murder rate of 6.1 per capita (per 100,000 people), does that mean that based on current population of say 300 million, the actual murders reported for the year 2009 is 6.1 x 3000 = 18,300 victims? Whereas, the murders in the Philippines is 4.31 x 900 = 3,879 victims (90 million divided by 100,000 x 4.31). Is my math out in left field??Respectfully -- Jake

No name
Posted
Posted
I hear of a lot of murders of foreigners in the PI but I don't hear about the scams as much. I mean, I hear of scamming families and affairs, but compared to Thailand, pretty ordinary stuff. One thing I heard from Thailand is a guy went home with a bar girl to her place, was told to wait for her in a room, and after a while they sent in a young girl. He was confused and then the girl started screaming. In a second there were neighbors and relatives, and not far behind, the police. He had to pay them off or go to jail for a long time. Whether that story was told honestly or not, I don't know. But it does sound like something that could happen to work over the foreigner.
90% of these stories come from web masters trying to find something sensational to write about. It does happen but I think its way less common than people try to talk about. Same story gets told about the Philippines in various combinations.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Another....
American shot dead in Philippines22:06 AEST Tue Sep 21 2010Gunmen fatally shot an American man and a Filipino woman in the southern Philippines for unknown reasons, police say.Two assailants opened fire on a passenger minibus in southern Iligan city's Mahayahay village on Monday, police said on Tuesday.The American and a Filipino woman were killed and another Filipino woman was wounded.Police identified the American as 41-year-old Steven Kindy from Michigan. Daraba says Kindy was shot six times.Kindy's Filipino girlfriend was unhurt in the attack.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Well we seem to see some things that this guy had in common with others who have been shot. One he owned a business, two, he was on a jeepney and three, he was in the company of a 17 year old so possibly one or more could have been contributing factors.American, pal slain in Iligan  ILIGAN CITY, Philippines – An American and his Filipina companion were gunned down while another female companion was wounded in a passenger jeepney here the Tuesday night, police said. Senior Superintendent Bernard Reamon, city police chief, identified the fatalities as Steven Kindy, 41, who owned an Internet café, and Pauline Cameon, 17, and the wounded as Merlyn Obial, 20.  Police said Kindy and his companions were bound for the Taboan Fair, set up for the city’s upcoming fiesta celebration, in Barangay Tubod when two men boarded the passenger jeepney and shot them with a caliber .45 pistol. Police said Kindy was completing his documents to extend his stay in the country. This story here

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Well we seem to see some things that this guy had in common with others who have been shot. One he owned a business, two, he was on a jeepney and three, he was in the company of a 17 year old so possibly one or more could have been contributing factors.American, pal slain in Iligan ILIGAN CITY, Philippines – An American and his Filipina companion were gunned down while another female companion was wounded in a passenger jeepney here the Tuesday night, police said. Senior Superintendent Bernard Reamon, city police chief, identified the fatalities as Steven Kindy, 41, who owned an Internet café, and Pauline Cameon, 17, and the wounded as Merlyn Obial, 20. Police said Kindy and his companions were bound for the Taboan Fair, set up for the city’s upcoming fiesta celebration, in Barangay Tubod when two men boarded the passenger jeepney and shot them with a caliber .45 pistol. Police said Kindy was completing his documents to extend his stay in the country. This story here
Personally I think its wrong to assume something because of what we read or really don't know any of the real facts. Just because it says he was with a 17 year old does not mean anything sinister at all,it maybe we should keep an open mind.The story below of the same case says he..
Smith said Kindy, who had two teenagers — Heather, 18, a Hemlock High School graduate; and Cody, 16 — with his wife Patricia of Thomas Township, first visited the Philippines last winter, fell in love with the people and culture, and he began to empathize with the children of the country. “They’re children who had been orphaned by the violence,” Smith said. “The parents were massacred, and these children are living in the dumps over there.”
So maybe he was a good man and being with a 17 year old might have been simply taking care of a child.The rest of the storyMIDLAND — Orphaned Filipino children living in squalor and digging in garbage for food was one reason Midland native Steven L. Kindy returned to visit the Republic of the Philippines, his aunt said.It proved a fatal decision. Peggy Smith of Lake Ann said her nephew, 41, who had lived in Midland during the last year, was killed Monday during an ambush while riding in a bus in Iligan, a southern city in the Republic of the Philippines.Xinhua News Agency, an Asian media company, reported two gunmen opened fire on the public bus Monday evening. They said Kindy was traveling with two companions, Paulrafe Cameon, who was also killed, and Merlyn Obial, who was shot but survived.Kindy was shot six times, The Associated Press reported.“It’s unbelievable,” Smith said, “Every parent and family’s worst nightmare.”Kindy might have been the target of an anti-American organization, The Associated Press reported.“That’s what we’re fearful of, just that it was a target thing, because he was an American over there,” Kindy’s aunt said. “We just don’t know any real facts right now.”The family is working with authorities to arrange for the return of Kindy’s body before funeral and memorial services will be scheduled.Smith said Kindy, who had two teenagers — Heather, 18, a Hemlock High School graduate; and Cody, 16 — with his wife Patricia of Thomas Township, first visited the Philippines last winter, fell in love with the people and culture, and he began to empathize with the children of the country. “They’re children who had been orphaned by the violence,” Smith said. “The parents were massacred, and these children are living in the dumps over there.”Kindy planned to bring video footage back to the United States to show to charities and churches, hoping the images would spur them to offer assistance to combat the plight of the orphans.He left the U.S. from Chicago in August with an open-ended return trip.“He was a very outgoing, loving, gregarious man and had a very strong faith,” Smith said. “He was very comfortable with himself. He made a difference; he made a difference in all of our lives.”Smith said her nephew grew up in Midland and raised his family in Saginaw.A bit of a comedian, the Bullock Creek High School graduate loved nature, hunting morel mushrooms and playing music, Smith said, and often entertained with his mother, a violinist; and his step-father, also a guitar player, at area senior-living facilities.“He knew there were dangerous areas over there,” Kindy’s aunt said. “But he didn’t let fear run his life.” post-1-047199900 1285231416_thumb.jpghttp://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2010/09/post_78.html

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a good man was gunned down here ....sad. sad.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Personally I think its wrong to assume something because of what we read or really don't know any of the real facts. Just because it says he was with a 17 year old does not mean anything sinister at all,it maybe we should keep an open mind.The story below of the same case says he..
  I am not really assuming anything above, just stating what was published. He was in business and we know of many foreigners who have been killed because of being in business. Next he was on a jeepney which is not the safest form of transportation in an area such as Iligan which has a large Muslim populations and is a city where things have been blown up in the past, and last he was in the company of a 17 year old which in itself might make some of the locals annoyed seeing, even if he was not playing around with her. I feel that many of us do not take into account what the locals think when they see older non Filipinos with young girls. I know that my wife and I have heard conversations in public places between Filipinos when a white guy walks in with a young girl, I know that people have said bad things about me when I was walking with my wife and another lady, so right or wrong people assume the worst. Even in the US when an older man is with a young girl, the worst is often assumed but that will not get a person killed. Mr. Kindy may have been a good man, but being seen as a pedophile in the eyes of some locals can still get a person killed in certain areas, and it is pretty obvious that his killing was a hit since they shot him enough times to make sure he was dead. The thing I wonder is if the 17 year old woman who was with him was killed intentionally and the if the other lady was also shot intentionally, or was the shooter just a lousy shot?