No Kids Below 10 On Motorbikes:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Wow, this could be a big change for many, no one under 10 on a motorcycle.  :yes: I say it is about time because I always shuddered when I saw a family of four or five on a bike or when I see a baby between the man and the woman, but is such a law constitutional? How can they prevent people from risking their children's lives? Enforcement of these laws may have far reaching consequences.The whole story here  CEBU, Philippines – This time it will be for real - the police will strictly implement Republic Act 10054 better known as the Helmet Law.Aside from requiring those riding a motorcycle to wear a crash helmet, children below ten years old will not also be allowed to ride motorcycles.

Retired Alf
Posted
Posted
Wow, this could be a big change for many, no one under 10 on a motorcycle. :yes: I say it is about time because I always shuddered when I saw a family of four or five on a bike or when I see a baby between the man and the woman, but is such a law constitutional? How can they prevent people from risking their children's lives? Enforcement of these laws may have far reaching consequences.The whole story here CEBU, Philippines – This time it will be for real - the police will strictly implement Republic Act 10054 better known as the Helmet Law.Aside from requiring those riding a motorcycle to wear a crash helmet, children below ten years old will not also be allowed to ride motorcycles.
To me it sounds like a fair and reasonable law to protect the lives of children.Not sure why you ask how they can prevent people from risking their children's lives when the law is designed to do this. Every country has driving laws such as seat belts so why is putting a limit on motor bikes different?The problem for many is how are they going to move the children around when need be?many use a motor bike to get the kids to school so what will happen now?

No name
Posted
Posted

Hmmm I went to Cebu City the other day and noticed most are not wearing a helmet between here and there.There was a crackdown on it about this time last year. Nothing much changed.Aww yes for the city. They have been tougher there.I cringe too when I see the children on a bike, I cringe when I think about getting one and then thinking of Jessie's pretty face on the pavement. I'm holding out for a multicab.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Wow, this could be a big change for many, no one under 10 on a motorcycle. :yes: I say it is about time because I always shuddered when I saw a family of four or five on a bike or when I see a baby between the man and the woman, but is such a law constitutional? How can they prevent people from risking their children's lives? Enforcement of these laws may have far reaching consequences.The whole story here  CEBU, Philippines – This time it will be for real - the police will strictly implement Republic Act 10054 better known as the Helmet Law.Aside from requiring those riding a motorcycle to wear a crash helmet, children below ten years old will not also be allowed to ride motorcycles.
To me it sounds like a fair and reasonable law to protect the lives of children.Not sure why you ask how they can prevent people from risking their children's lives when the law is designed to do this. Every country has driving laws such as seat belts so why is putting a limit on motor bikes different?The problem for many is how are they going to move the children around when need be?many use a motor bike to get the kids to school so what will happen now?
Enforcement of this law will become a life changing experience for many hard working Filipinos who drop their children off at school on their way to work or who bring their children or child with them when they go shopping or while doing errands. While it always upset me to see babies on bikes in between a man and a woman, stopping kids below 10 years old is just unreasonable IMO and IMO will put an unfair burden on many families. There always has to be a balance between safety and fairness, and many things we see done in the Philippines would not be considered safe, so are they going to out law all those. For instance kids riding on Jeepneys or climbing trees or using machetes etc, etc, where will they draw the line on safety. Just crossing the streets in many places in the Philippines can be a life threatening experience even for adults, yet they rarely enforce those laws and I myself almost got run over by a motorcycle who decided to go up on the sidewalk. Enforce the current traffic laws and IMO laws such as this one would be unnecessary. People do not stop for stop signs, stay in their lanes and often ride up on sidewalks and nothing seems to be done, so first IMO they need to stop that behavior and then see about adding new laws.

No name
Posted
Posted

Lee, i agree. Until their wages are such that they have other choices, they have no choice. That's the problem.I don't see how many Filipino could deal with this law. i suppose they will but I don't believe it will be enforced. At least not this part of it.jessie tells me they often ticket tricycle drivers for wearing "slipper" and not "real shoes" in Tacloban.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Maybe there's a business opportunity in here (copyright, me). I was in Taiwan when my wife gave birth to our first daughter. Within days we were riding on the scooter together. She didn't like the idea, but a younger, dumber me thought it was okay as long as I was careful. Still, I took her to a helmet shop to find something for infants, convinced someone had to have thought of it (despite never having seen it), and there was nothing. I thought they'd have a machine in the back they could just mold her head for, but they didn't. I've thought of that since then, since even if Cebu stops it, the rest of SE Asia will continue. Tiny helmets, not actually for infants, but small children between 2 and 10. (copyright, me? :th_signs083:)

No name
Posted
Posted
Maybe there's a business opportunity in here (copyright, me). I was in Taiwan when my wife gave birth to our first daughter. Within days we were riding on the scooter together. She didn't like the idea, but a younger, dumber me thought it was okay as long as I was careful. Still, I took her to a helmet shop to find something for infants, convinced someone had to have thought of it (despite never having seen it), and there was nothing. I thought they'd have a machine in the back they could just mold her head for, but they didn't. I've thought of that since then, since even if Cebu stops it, the rest of SE Asia will continue. Tiny helmets, not actually for infants, but small children between 2 and 10. (copyright, me? :th_signs083:)
I think you're jesting so I will continue it....Since an infant cant hold their head up, i doubt its a good thing to weight it down some more. second.. I don't think targeting Filipino in any market is promising. Unless you offering beer, rhum, or phone credits, there's just not that much demand. Well food but with a Sari Sari store every few feet the competition is a bit tight.third, they are not requiring infants to wear a helmet they are requiring them to not get on a bike in the first place. I promise I wont steal your writing on this. HAHA You need a patent, the copywrite only protects your words, not your design. As for the concept, I can make a different help but since there's no one to buy it, your "secret" is safe with me.I do jest but a lot of time, i see people talking about running a business selling to Filipino. Sure if you can afford a store in SM mall, otherwise, its just not a very promising endeavour too me.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
I think you're jesting so I will continue it....Since an infant cant hold their head up, i doubt its a good thing to weight it down some more. second.. I don't think targeting Filipino in any market is promising. Unless you offering beer, rhum, or phone credits, there's just not that much demand. Well food but with a Sari Sari store every few feet the competition is a bit tight.third, they are not requiring infants to wear a helmet they are requiring them to not get on a bike in the first place. I promise I wont steal your writing on this. HAHA You need a patent, the copywrite only protects your words, not your design. As for the concept, I can make a different help but since there's no one to buy it, your "secret" is safe with me.I do jest but a lot of time, i see people talking about running a business selling to Filipino. Sure if you can afford a store in SM mall, otherwise, its just not a very promising endeavour too me.
This is why I say the dumb things I do... so wiser men can correct my errant ways. Absolutely true... a helmet would do no good for an infant. Cebu's law has nothing to do with helmets. But I believe (patent! lol) a helmet for kids / pre-teens could do good in Taiwan / rest of Asia where there is no age-restricting law. Who's ready to get rich? Not me... just drinking Korean rice wine... My bad...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This is why I say the dumb things I do... so wiser men can correct my errant ways. Absolutely true... a helmet would do no good for an infant. Cebu's law has nothing to do with helmets. But I believe (patent! lol) a helmet for kids / pre-teens could do good in Taiwan / rest of Asia where there is no age-restricting law. Who's ready to get rich? Not me... just drinking Korean rice wine... My bad...
Part of the problem would be the cost of buying say 3 kid size helmets for the family only to find kids grow fast and the helmets would not fit correctly for long,then it will be a case of selling or giving away these used helmets that end up way over there safe shelf life and probably no safer than none.Next idea to float???lol

No name
Posted
Posted
Part of the problem would be the cost of buying say 3 kid size helmets for the family only to find kids grow fast and the helmets would not fit correctly for long,then it will be a case of selling or giving away these used helmets that end up way over there safe shelf life and probably no safer than none.Next idea to float???lol
But Taiwan is not so poor, is it? I don't know much about it since one must have a visa to travel there, I never thought much about it.But they have money so it might work there.Most expats target other expats, they have money. Well some of them. I will, give me time. LOL