Cell Phones That Will Work In The Philippines

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Hey Lee...what would be the best way to get an iphone here?...or better to buy here from Globe? Also, how does the internet work if it can be unlocked, if purchased in the USA and brought here?

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

Cant help much with this topic. I will say I only buy cheap phones. I do agree to buy from a reputable dealer and not a vendor. The reputable dealers have phone for P 1200 to P 1500. I used to try to keep a nice phone, but found out they are easily lost when you are drinking red horse. Plus I always let the pretty little lady who I did not know at all, say, Oh I need to call home, Can i use your phone..... Of course yes, then while she walks off talking, acting like she is not hearing or getting good reception, while her other friend will distract you by talking to you and blocking your vision.... Then she also goes to the CR. Then asking where the girl who borrowed your cell phone is at... OH she will be right back, and you never see either of them again...YES I am a walking , talking, prime example of stupidy in The Philippines......444.gif

• 3 months later...
Yardbird81
Posted
Posted (edited)

If looking for a good-quality basic phone, with quad-band capability, the discount chain Big Lots is selling Motorola Razr V3 GSM phones for $25. These are UNLOCKED phones, ready for the sim chip of your choice. They're packaged as refurbished and are sold by a prepaid company called H2O Wireless. Phone charger will cover 100-240Vac, 50/60Hz ac power range. I put in my T-mobile sim chip and is working with no problems. Got this info from http://www.fatwallet...-deals/1014701/Ed

Edited by Mr. Lee
post with link approved by me

• 5 months later...
gapotwo
Posted
Posted

im in hawaii with SPRINT service, sprint and verizon are on the CDMA system, they do not use sim cards, i just got a android smart phone that will be usless to me in feb. :541: cuz i need to get a unlocked GSM system phone for the PH. so i go to E.BAY , they go for about $400 new all day , so i buy it, a tri band dual sim GSM android phone, with all the bells and wistles, including GPStracking and WIFI capable,and touch screen, then i got to thinking, will globe or smart in the PH.support all these features? or would it just talk and text??DOES ANY ONE KNOW??? this phone habit is getting more expensive than woman and its driving me to drinking :540: :lol: tanks ej.

Travis
Posted
Posted
im in hawaii with SPRINT service, sprint and verizon are on the CDMA system, they do not use sim cards, i just got a android smart phone that will be usless to me in feb. :541: cuz i need to get a unlocked GSM system phone for the PH. so i go to E.BAY , they go for about $400 new all day , so i buy it, a tri band dual sim GSM android phone, with all the bells and wistles, including GPStracking and WIFI capable,and touch screen, then i got to thinking, will globe or smart in the PH.support all these features? or would it just talk and text??DOES ANY ONE KNOW??? this phone habit is getting more expensive than woman and its driving me to drinking :540: :lol: tanks ej.
I know you can use the internet on your cell phone for a daily weekly or monthly fee so wifi works if you find an open wifi but I am sorry that I do not know about the rest

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Altho this is an old posting, hasnt been updated in a while,It still has some valuable information that can be used by the newer members of the forum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
bows00
Posted
Posted

Anybody got an unlocked CDMA iphone 4s (sprint, verizon) to work there on an GSM sim card? I know it is possible. I am planning to do this for my next trip. The Iphone 4s is just fabulous...Another question is do they sell micro SIM cards there? If not, it wouldnt be that much of a problem since I can always get a SIM card cutter for around $10 US.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Bowsoo, now youve got me confused, I had done some research both in Hawaii and the Ph. As far as i know the PH is on a GSM network only,as theUSA uses both GSM and CDMA networks. I am with sprint now (cdma) and the only way i can use a SMART sim card is when i purchased Sprints Blackberry 8830 World phone. Its a cdma phone with gsm roaming capabilitys.(has a sim card slot and a micro SD slot.) otherwise the only phones in the US. capable of that are the unlocked dual and triband phones from AT&T and T MOBIL and maybee the I PHONE . witch use sim cards.Check out E-BAY they have tons of them. The key words are , unlocked gsm triband cellphones. Open the back of your phone and see if it has a sim slot.i dont know much about I PHONES, Im sold on the BLACKBERRY , but Android systems are OK. too' I found out that Blackberry service is spendy in the ph. so i can also use my samsung galaxy gsm phone. tanks ej..

bows00
Posted
Posted

The iPhone 4S is a world phone. It has the capability to do both CDMA and GSM. However, in the US, they are locked to their respective carriers - so if you use Sprint, you are locked into using their CDMA. The good thing is that Sprint and Verizon recognizes the IPhone 4S capabilities and will unlock the GSM Sim card slot for international use only. And once unlocked you can use any international GSM sim card and it will work just fine, but it will not work with any US GSM card, like AT&T. So if you have a either a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4s, they will unlock the GSM sim card slot, as long as you meet certain criteria. For Verizon, you have to have had the an account with them for at least 3 months - and the account has to be in good standings. Then all it takes is just one phone call and they will unlock the GSM Sim card slot for you. As for Sprint, it is a little different. They originally sold the Sprint iPhone 4s with the GSM sim card slot unlocked for international use, but I am not sure of the current status..I know this is confusing. But the bottom line is if you want to use an iPhone 4s with international GSM cards, don't go with AT&t. They will not unlock it. Go with either Verizon or Sprint, then you can use an international GSM card without having to pay someone to unlock the phone for you.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

And currently, there is no software to unlock a US AT&T GSM Sim in the US..for Iphone 4S