Does A Forum Name, Avatar Or Title

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have been told often when people met me in person, that they did not think I would look as I do. Some people thought I was Chinese or Korean because of my forum name and yet others thought I would be very old and very fat because of some of the avatars I have used, so I wonder just how many people form opinions of people based on either their avatar, their title or their forum name? and if they do, then I wonder if those opinions might affect how they interact with myself or other members?Just to clarify, when I joined this forum the name Lee (my actual name) was already taken so I was going to use a different forum name but Tom (Boss Man or De Boss) thought it best I continue using the same forum name because quite a few people knew me from other forums by this forum name. I am not sure if that was a good or bad idea, but the name stuck with me and so did all the mistakes I have made over time while learning what I should do, and what I should not do. We are all human and as such we all make mistakes, and I know I have made many along the way, but that is life, and as long as we learn from our mistakes, then those mistakes served a purpose. I also know that way back when, when I joined my first forum, that I was intimidated by the title admin and especially when the admin of that forum attacked me and what I wrote, so I wonder if any of the members feel as I did way back when? You should not, and I sure do not want you to.The main thing that I hope to get from this post is to let everyone know that we are all just human, and all alike in some ways, and myself or any of the others on the forum support team NEVER want, or likes to take action against any member, and in fact most members never have had any actions taken against them, yet the few who do seem to hold a grudge because in their own minds they could never be wrong about anything, so therefore we have to be wrong. No one likes rules, I know I do not, but rules prevent havoc on the forum, so just enjoy and have fun but always try to keep others feeling in mind when doing so, and we all can get along fine, and we all should never let a title, forum name or avatar affect how you interact with another member.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

LOL... I thought you were a wealthy Chinese-Ameri-Filipino based on your name, probably good at golf! With all that talk of condos and splitting time between the two places, I caught myself more than once envious of you, thinking, "Why wasn't I born Chinese?" In an older post where your wife wrote about meeting you, I think I was as surprised as she was by your appearance as a white guy. Traveler's avatar is pretty funny because that's exactly how I imagine him, though it's a chicken or the egg thing about which image or impression influenced the other. I love UZI's avatar/forum name, and wish I saw his posts more often, but he seems to have wandered to other pastures. I either love what he says and agree or love what he says and disagree, but he's a good guy to keep things interesting. Inspector's avatar and forum name suit him as a witty investigator you could write a play around with wit, humor, and sensibility. My avatar seems to represent me quite well, even though I took it out of frustration from the inability to find anything else I liked in the right size to be accepted. I'm a lot younger than most active participants, probably more naive concerning life, and eager to share my naivety. BTW, if none of you have watched Spongebob, it's like The Simpsons Light. A lot of fascinatingly mature jokes, wrapped up in a package that kids love. Great show when you accept the annoying exterior.

Edited by ekimswish

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Avatars are just what they are! Avatars, are just an extension of one's self to reflect an image of what we think of ourselves or deceive others as a prank or whim and mean nothing by it most of the time and others just hide behind them just to be anonymous! That's all! "Different Strokes for Different Folks!"

Travis
Posted
Posted
LOL... I thought you were a wealthy Chinese-Ameri-Filipino based on your name, probably good at golf! With all that talk of condos and splitting time between the two places, I caught myself more than once envious of you, thinking, "Why wasn't I born Chinese?" In an older post where your wife wrote about meeting you, I think I was as surprised as she was by your appearance as a white guy. Traveler's avatar is pretty funny because that's exactly how I imagine him, though it's a chicken or the egg thing about which image or impression influenced the other. I love UZI's avatar/forum name, and wish I saw his posts more often, but he seems to have wandered to other pastures. I either love what he says and agree or love what he says and disagree, but he's a good guy to keep things interesting. Inspector's avatar and forum name suit him as a witty investigator you could write a play around with wit, humor, and sensibility. My avatar seems to represent me quite well, even though I took it out of frustration from the inability to find anything else I liked in the right size to be accepted. I'm a lot younger than most active participants, probably more naive concerning life, and eager to share my naivety. BTW, if none of you have watched Spongebob, it's like The Simpsons Light. A lot of fascinatingly mature jokes, wrapped up in a package that kids love. Great show when you accept the annoying exterior.
actually it looks just like me & that was why I picked it :( :23_11_62[1]: SugarwareZ-005.gif :lol:

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
I have been told often when people met me in person, that they did not think I would look as I do. Some people thought I was Chinese or Korean because of my forum name and yet others thought I would be very old and very fat because of some of the avatars I have used, so I wonder just how many people form opinions of people based on either their avatar, their title or their forum name? and if they do, then I wonder if those opinions might affect how they interact with myself or other members?Just to clarify, when I joined this forum the name Lee (my actual name) was already taken so I was going to use a different forum name but Tom (Boss Man or De Boss) thought it best I continue using the same forum name because quite a few people knew me from other forums by this forum name. I am not sure if that was a good or bad idea, but the name stuck with me and so did all the mistakes I have made over time while learning what I should do, and what I should not do. We are all human and as such we all make mistakes, and I know I have made many along the way, but that is life, and as long as we learn from our mistakes, then those mistakes served a purpose. I also know that way back when, when I joined my first forum, that I was intimidated by the title admin and especially when the admin of that forum attacked me and what I wrote, so I wonder if any of the members feel as I did way back when? You should not, and I sure do not want you to.The main thing that I hope to get from this post is to let everyone know that we are all just human, and all alike in some ways, and myself or any of the others on the forum support team NEVER want, or likes to take action against any member, and in fact most members never have had any actions taken against them, yet the few who do seem to hold a grudge because in their own minds they could never be wrong about anything, so therefore we have to be wrong. No one likes rules, I know I do not, but rules prevent havoc on the forum, so just enjoy and have fun but always try to keep others feeling in mind when doing so, and we all can get along fine, and we all should never let a title, forum name or avatar affect how you interact with another member.
When I first saw your user name a few years back on the other forum I thought you may be asian.  And based on the garfield avatar that you use from time to time I thought you were grumpy and hated mornings  :lol:   I think most people chose avatars that reflect their personality or chose something that they like or enjoy.  So I think yours definitely throws people off track.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
When I first saw your user name a few years back on the other forum I thought you may be asian.  And based on the garfield avatar that you use from time to time I thought you were grumpy and hated mornings  :lol:   I think most people chose avatars that reflect their personality or chose something that they like or enjoy.  So I think yours definitely throws people off track.
So are you saying I am not grumpy :lol: and not Asian :lol: I better go look in the mirror again. :lol: Yup names and avatars sometimes do give people the wrong impression of members and I am asleep until my second or third cup of coffee.   :lol:  I hope my new avatar is not as misleading?  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have been told often when people met me in person, that they did not think I would look as I do. Some people thought I was Chinese or Korean because of my forum name and yet others thought I would be very old and very fat because of some of the avatars I have used, so I wonder just how many people form opinions of people based on either their avatar, their title or their forum name? and if they do, then I wonder if those opinions might affect how they interact with myself or other members?Just to clarify, when I joined this forum the name Lee (my actual name) was already taken so I was going to use a different forum name but Tom (Boss Man or De Boss) thought it best I continue using the same forum name because quite a few people knew me from other forums by this forum name. I am not sure if that was a good or bad idea, but the name stuck with me and so did all the mistakes I have made over time while learning what I should do, and what I should not do. We are all human and as such we all make mistakes, and I know I have made many along the way, but that is life, and as long as we learn from our mistakes, then those mistakes served a purpose. I also know that way back when, when I joined my first forum, that I was intimidated by the title admin and especially when the admin of that forum attacked me and what I wrote, so I wonder if any of the members feel as I did way back when? You should not, and I sure do not want you to.The main thing that I hope to get from this post is to let everyone know that we are all just human, and all alike in some ways, and myself or any of the others on the forum support team NEVER want, or likes to take action against any member, and in fact most members never have had any actions taken against them, yet the few who do seem to hold a grudge because in their own minds they could never be wrong about anything, so therefore we have to be wrong. No one likes rules, I know I do not, but rules prevent havoc on the forum, so just enjoy and have fun but always try to keep others feeling in mind when doing so, and we all can get along fine, and we all should never let a title, forum name or avatar affect how you interact with another member.
When I first saw your user name a few years back on the other forum I thought you may be asian. And based on the garfield avatar that you use from time to time I thought you were grumpy and hated mornings :lol: I think most people chose avatars that reflect their personality or chose something that they like or enjoy. So I think yours definitely throws people off track.
hmmMaybe the duck avatar I use now reflects how I look,lol :lol:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Looks just like you :lol: but more important it reflects you kind, carefree and laid back personality. :lol: 

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
So are you saying I am not grumpy :lol: and not Asian :lol: I better go look in the mirror again. :lol: Yup names and avatars sometimes do give people the wrong impression of members and I am asleep until my second or third cup of coffee.    :lol:  I hope my new avatar is not as misleading?  
Nope you're not old or grumpy.  Your new avatar says "Retired and enjoying it"  Can't wait to be in that boat myself! 

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
Looks just like you :lol: but more important it reflects you kind, carefree and laid back personality. :lol: 
The duck just needs a beer in his hand  :lol: :lol: