Foreigners On The Street

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Misleading title: What's your protocol for passing by other foreigners in the Philippines?When first in Asia, I tried to smile and say hi when passing by another foreigner, but the other person often had already tucked their head down to ignore me and kept walking, lol. So I tried to do the same after that, figuring I looked like a newbie when I tried to greet other foreigners. I would tuck my head down or gaze straight ahead with lazer like focus, right beside but not AT the other foreigner's head. Then he would attempt a hello, but I'd be caught off guard without enough time for an appropriate response, and might stammer out a, "Bley!" (Bye, Hey, Hello)I've heard foreigners talk about how only newbies are lame enough to think we should all say hi just because we're a different skin color than the locals. Then I've heard others say it's lame to not say hi, since we're all foreigners in a strange land and should support each other, even with just a simple acknowledgement or greeting. So what do you do? It's a lot easier to initiate the hello when they're uglier than you; tall, good looking people, with style are intimidating! kiddin... or maybe they are. I try to give a nod, a "hey", or something, but sometimes am left hanging. I'm never disappointed I tried, however, especially if they respond in kind.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

I think it's that people are different. I'm fairly out going and was suprised on my first visit the number of 'hellos!' that were rejected. Now I find that sometimes could end up having a chat for a number of minutes with other blokes.Maybe some people can't be bothered to talk, are reserved and private.Then again , could it be the lack of communication is embarrassment at maybe being considered an old pedo by some....hehehe...come in traveler! lol!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Depends on the size of the city, too, I think. In a larger city with lots of foreigners, it's a lot easier to be "normal" and not wave to every foreigner you see on the street. In smaller places though, you HAVE to at least acknowledge them!

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I smack them on the back of the head and then run away ....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just because another foreigner looks similar to you does not mean his language is English or perhaps not his first language.I think it was my second trip when I approached a foreigner with his Filipina woman to ask him where I could buy some beer( yes important question for me),he could not answer me as his language was not English but his Filipina sent me in the correct direction.emostrongbow.gif most important

Travis
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think it's that people are different. I'm fairly out going and was suprised on my first visit the number of 'hellos!' that were rejected. Now I find that sometimes could end up having a chat for a number of minutes with other blokes.Maybe some people can't be bothered to talk, are reserved and private.Then again , could it be the lack of communication is  embarrassment at maybe being considered an old pedo by some....hehehe...come in traveler! lol!
yes Roy my take on this is that many of them might be hiding from xwives child support or from the law as we often read in the news here of them getting caught but not often enough for my likeing & many of them are probably pedos so they are only interested in young girls & not meeting fellow foreignerss coz we give them competition. I have watched many of these pedos hitting on young girls in mcdo jollyb & other fast food places kids hang out.   Edited by Mr. Lee
last sentence removed

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)

Being visible in public places is hardly hiding, from whatever misdeed your bitter imagination races with.And being competition to them....competing as another pedo?

Edited by roy2cebu

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
I smack them on the back of the head and then run away ....
LOL ---------- Love it.Tom in Texas

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
... many of them are probably pedos so they are only interested in young girls... I have watched many of these pedos hitting on young girls in mcdo jollyb & other fast food places kids hang out.
Isn't it humorous how so many public-figure "family-values homophobes" turn out to be active homosexuals? whistling.gif......... and why are you sitting around "mcdo jollyb & other fast food places kids hang out"....... watching "pedos".......?? omg.gifHmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... inquiring minds want to know 3_12_31[1].gif.........(or in my case, just bored and interested in seeing how far out this limb you will climb)catmilk.gifTom in Texas

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Just because another foreigner looks similar to you does not mean his language is English or perhaps not his first language.I think it was my second trip when I approached a foreigner with his Filipina woman to ask him where I could buy some beer( yes important question for me),he could not answer me as his language was not English but his Filipina sent me in the correct direction.emostrongbow.gif most important
Very true, indeed, especially in the Philippines. Maybe just a nod?