Why Did You Come To The Philippines?

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Some could say, to avoid this :541:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

What do "City Slickers" know anyway? I'm from the suburbs of California and the Philippines! Anyways, we'd all be lucky to live in our 80s, but that's the plan, live to a ripe old age before we all kick the bucket, it's inevitable! We're going to enjoy every minute we have left! And why not in the Philippines? It ain't all that bad or why would any one of us be here in the first place! 23_11_60[2].gif:lol::cheersty::551::bash:

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I can't listen to the video on this computer (deleted the sound software?) but I watched that movie a year ago and remember somewhat what the scene's about. It's fair to say that that's what I'm avoiding by moving to the Philippines. My wife and I obviously have the choice to move to Canada and work several jobs, make a low~mid middle class living. Maybe with some luck and hard work, we could be upper-middle class one day. But that's not what I want. I've always wanted an exotic lifestyle, near the beach, the palm trees, the monkeys, different language and culture, etc. I knew that starting a business in the Philippines would be a million times cheaper than in Canada, but the only problem was what the hell could we start to support ourselves with? Earlier this year, we started to raise pigs as a means of extra income to support our step-children in PI, so I could take a pay-cut and teach English in Taiwan, which I love, rather than in Korea. As we learned more about the business, we realized that it could actually support not just the kids, but all of us, if we did it right, and with a little luck. So in 2.5 weeks, we'll move full time to the Pinnes, and throw our lot in with the pigs. It's not going to be easy at first. We're going to have to live a very modest lifestyle the first few months. But I hope that once we get a consistent schedule under our belts, life in my fairy-taled exotic location could become a reality. I'm not asking for much: just a little slice of the pie. I see there's lots of money in the Philippines, and lots more to be made. The reason most are still poor is because they don't have the start-up capital, or the education / right mind-set to run a business. But there's no shortage of nice shopping malls and SUV's on the road, so that tells me there's opportunity. If we fail, we'll give Canada a shot. Live the lower middle class dream... or upper lower class. Below that is welfare... YEAH!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

We go for the sun, the fun, the kind people, the happy smiles, our mostly fantastic family which includes the wonderful ladies that we have unofficially adopted and who we are honored to call our daughters, the wonderful friends we have made along the way, and most of all to keep my wife happy.   :bash:

No name
Posted
Posted

I came for what many come for:1. The lower cost of living. (It really is cheaper if you don't insist on Western standards)2. If I found a loving woman then that would be icing on the cake. If not, I'd just go with a little fire from the candles..... I found the loving woman though. And a ... awww never mind.Thinks were going not so well for me. I could have stayed in Memphis, alone and broke or I could explore. I choose to explore.It has been a long time since I made such a good decision. I hope it remains that way. Life changes, have to change with it.I have always thought it gets harder to do that as we get older and that's why there are so many bitter older people. Well that and all the crap life deals us piles up on us over time. I surely am more jaded than I once was. I really don't want to see that continue. For most of us, it does though.80? It will be a miracle if I see 58 :bash:

Jake
Posted
Posted
I can't listen to the video on this computer (deleted the sound software?) but I watched that movie a year ago and remember somewhat what the scene's about. It's fair to say that that's what I'm avoiding by moving to the Philippines. My wife and I obviously have the choice to move to Canada and work several jobs, make a low~mid middle class living. Maybe with some luck and hard work, we could be upper-middle class one day. But that's not what I want. I've always wanted an exotic lifestyle, near the beach, the palm trees, the monkeys, different language and culture, etc. I knew that starting a business in the Philippines would be a million times cheaper than in Canada, but the only problem was what the hell could we start to support ourselves with? Earlier this year, we started to raise pigs as a means of extra income to support our step-children in PI, so I could take a pay-cut and teach English in Taiwan, which I love, rather than in Korea. As we learned more about the business, we realized that it could actually support not just the kids, but all of us, if we did it right, and with a little luck. So in 2.5 weeks, we'll move full time to the Pinnes, and throw our lot in with the pigs. It's not going to be easy at first. We're going to have to live a very modest lifestyle the first few months. But I hope that once we get a consistent schedule under our belts, life in my fairy-taled exotic location could become a reality. I'm not asking for much: just a little slice of the pie. I see there's lots of money in the Philippines, and lots more to be made. The reason most are still poor is because they don't have the start-up capital, or the education / right mind-set to run a business. But there's no shortage of nice shopping malls and SUV's on the road, so that tells me there's opportunity. If we fail, we'll give Canada a shot. Live the lower middle class dream... or upper lower class. Below that is welfare... YEAH!
Hello Ekimswish,At the ripe old age of 28, I must commend you for setting some realistic goals and having the smarts to keep other options open. I share your fantasy of my native land. One could imagine having your lovely companion by your side, while watching the tropical sunset as well as the sunrise. If I may borrow a quote from Flirtilizer: "Life changes, have to change with it" is a healthy attitude for any of us in our golden years to have the adventurous heart to finally find peace and happiness. There are other expat communities around the world but I strongly believe the Philippines offers a tropical paradise like no others. Long live the "brown sugar".......! Mabuhay -- Jake

Travis
Posted
Posted

coz people & other forums told me it was very cheap to live they lied coz it is only cheap if a person wants to live in a smaller room & eat local food or be out in the boonies & not live a western lifestyle. I am back in the good ol USA renting a room from a friend for now for $200 a month which included all but food so it is way less expensive here to live this way

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

I doubt if people lied...maybe you misinterpreted the info. Did you not try an experimental stay at first to research it and work it out in your own mind? Without doing that you didn't do yourself any favours...may have well listened to..the streets of London are paved with gold.How could you expect a western lifestyle in an eastern country?Hope all goes well for you in the future.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I lived in the Philippines in the late 60s when I was only 19 yrs old and in the military and the dollar exchange rate back then was only P4.80 to the dollar! So, if the dollar exchange rate in a few months from now were to drop to P25 to P33 to the dollar, do you think I would be discouraged? Does anyone think that it would be cheaper to live anywhere else besides the Philippines? Maybe in other 3rd world countries like Thailand, China, Vietnam, Laos or Panama and etc! My wife and I are presently here in Northern California on vacation for 2 months! We can't wait to get back to our home in the Philippines for the obvious reason, it's too darn expensive here! And talk about gas prices and traffic! Nope, won't have it! We're going to live out the rest of our lives here in the Philippines! We've now been living here for 12 years and it's just getting better except for the freak'n yearly calamities due to Mother Nature, just crossing our fingers it will continuously by pass our area year after year, but so far so good!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We visit friends and family once a year more or less. Every time we near departure my wife and I wish for more time.Ten twelve years ago we were all for living in Cebu once I retired. We have even looked at lots and homes for sale. That has changed. We are not so sure now, perhaps live in the States and visit Philippines for several months a year? I have a few more years until freedom from the 9-5.Living in the Philippines or any foreign country is not for everyone. The dream can become a nightmare for some guys. Traveler had a rough time of it. I think one needs to give it a try in order to truly know if it’s a good fit or not.