Uk, Aussie Advise Their Citizens Not To Go To Rp

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So what else is new? Seems people are in danger anywhere in the world including in the US and Australia, so why stop their citizens from traveling to the PHL? I have to wonder what is really behind these warnings? What is it that they are not telling us?After the foiled US terror attack, the Australian and British governments yesterday warned its citizens against travelling to the Philippines — where al-Qaeda-linked extremist Muslim groups operate in its southern region—as “imminent” attacks might occur “anytime, anywhere” in the country, including Manila, the capital of the country.In its updated travel advisory, the Australian government said it continues to receive “credible reports indicating terrorists are planning to attack against a range of targets in a variety of locations, including places frequented by foreigners.”“Reliable reports indicate that terrorist attacks may be imminent in Manila, including places frequented by foreigners such as large shopping malls and convention centers,” it said.Other possible targets, Australia said, include markets, embassies, expatriate housing complexes, hostels, guest houses, clubs, hotels, restaurants, fast food outlets, bars, pubs, cinemas, places of worship, public transport including buses and bus terminals, ferries and trains, schools, tourist areas, festivals, outdoor recreation and major sporting events.The complete story HERE

Genius
Posted
Posted

As the UK and Australia, are democratic countries where kidnappings, murder of tourists are not endemic, though obviously it happens, I think, maybe they are just warning people of the reality of coming to the Phillipines. People are in danger all over the world, as you say, but tourists from the UK, USA and Australia are comparitively rich and rarely are they as targeted for crime or murder as in the third world, which the Philipines is clearly a good example of.I think these warnings are reasonable. However, it would not stop me travelling, just keep me aware. Surely, a good thing to advise people of what type of place they are going beyond the pictures of beaches and smiling locals, they see in brochures ?

So what else is new? Seems people are in danger anywhere in the world including in the US and Australia, so why stop their citizens from traveling to the PHL? I have to wonder what is really behind these warnings? What is it that they are not telling us?After the foiled US terror attack, the Australian and British governments yesterday warned its citizens against travelling to the Philippines — where al-Qaeda-linked extremist Muslim groups operate in its southern region—as “imminent” attacks might occur “anytime, anywhere” in the country, including Manila, the capital of the country.In its updated travel advisory, the Australian government said it continues to receive “credible reports indicating terrorists are planning to attack against a range of targets in a variety of locations, including places frequented by foreigners.”“Reliable reports indicate that terrorist attacks may be imminent in Manila, including places frequented by foreigners such as large shopping malls and convention centers,” it said.Other possible targets, Australia said, include markets, embassies, expatriate housing complexes, hostels, guest houses, clubs, hotels, restaurants, fast food outlets, bars, pubs, cinemas, places of worship, public transport including buses and bus terminals, ferries and trains, schools, tourist areas, festivals, outdoor recreation and major sporting events.The complete story HERE

dnunez69
Posted
Posted

Thank you for clearing that up for me Genius. All this time, for some unknown reason, I had believed that the Philippines was a democratic country. I definitely need to do more homework, before deciding to consider the Philippines my retirement home. Since I am of Cuban descent, I think I'll give Cuba another look. It can't be any worse, at the least.

Genius
Posted
Posted
Thank you for clearing that up for me Genius. All this time, for some unknown reason, I had believed that the Philippines was a democratic country. I definitely need to do more homework, before deciding to consider the Philippines my retirement home. Since I am of Cuban descent, I think I'll give Cuba another look. It can't be any worse, at the least.
You are very welcome!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
As for the Australian government warnings,its the exact same warnings that have been up since who knows how long.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
dnunez69 the choice is of course yours but from all I have heard, seen and read, the Philippines is safe for retirees who keep a low profile and who do not get into a business that makes lots of money. Most expats that end up killed are those who show a lot of cash such as in money lending businesses, and others who get themselves killed live in the seedier side of life within the Philippines, and yet others who end up victims pick the wrong woman who may become greedy or have a greedy family, so they become worth more dead than alive. If you read this whole forum then you will see many news stories of those killed and the things I mentioned seem to be the key denominator in almost all killings. I myself have walked around the streets of Cebu, Manila and Cagayan de Oro often and sometimes even at night and have never had a problem. I know many others who do the same thing and have never had a problem. Life in any developing nation would probably fall into the same lines and knowing some of the language would help to stay out of trouble because you might here it coming, so I guess if you speak Spanish then you might have a leg up in Cuba but IMO most of the Philippines is safe for us, as long as we do not put ourselves into harms way. The choice is yours but you might wish to give the Philippines a chance by a long visit and you might just fall in love with the country and the people like I have. I wish you the best of luck wherever you choose.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I've been to Cuba once, and not to the resort areas, but to the real deal small town area, outside of Holguin(?) on the east side. Cuba is the one place on earth I can categorically say is more beautiful than any other and where I would absolutely live, if everything were equal.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The Philippines is a democratic country, closely modeled after the US system with Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government. I don't know what that has to do with kidnapping or murder of tourists.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Monkey see monkey do, but there is probably chatter of an upcoming attack and sometimes it is true and other times it is disinformation to hurt the tourist industry of countries, either way the terrorist win if we let them change our plans. My mind is that I can dies in a traffic accident or even crossing the street, so when my time is up it is up and I refuse to allow anyone to dictate to me how to live my life. Now Canada seems to be taking the correct path by warning their citizens to be careful because we all have to be careful in this new often crazy world.More countries warn of RP terror attacks, the whole story HERE  Three more anti-terror war coalition countries, one after the other, warned yesterday of imminent attacks in Metro Manila and throughout the country after Australia and the United Kingdom (UK) issued similar alerts to their citizens the other day. The Aquino administration, however, downplayed the threats.The United States, Canada and New Zealand also warned their citizens that public areas often visited by foreigners in the country, particularly in Metro Manila, such as shopping malls and airports, were potential targets.“Reliable reports indicate that terrorist attacks may be imminent in Manila, including places frequented by foreigners,” the Australian government advisory said.The US State Department said the threat was highest in the southern Philippines where Muslim extremists and communist rebels have for decades caused unrest but it also warned of dangers in Manila.“US citizens travelling, living, and working throughout the Philippines are urged to exercise heightened caution in public gathering places,” the US advisory said.“Terrorist attacks could be indiscriminate and could occur not only in the souther islands but also in other areas, to include Manila,” it said.Citing a similar warning issued earlier by the UK and Australian governments, the US said targeted sites may be public gathering places that are frequented by expatriates and foreign travelers, including American citizens. Canada, for its part, said its citizens should maintain a high level of personal security awareness in the Philippines at all times.

Genius
Posted
Posted

I cannot agree with that. Democratic countries do not systematically exterminate opposition politicians and journalists as a matter of course, have systemically corrupt executives, legislatures and judiciaries. One does not have to go far to provide acres of factual evidence on the murder of politicians throughout the electoral process in the philipines, witness the gun ban during electoral periods, (more observed in the breach than not). the latest egregious example would have to be the ampatuan clan. Amnesty International has repeatedly issued reports on the 100s of journalists murdered and whose cases never are investigated.The Philipines is a fantastic place with beautiful weather, friendly people and lovely scenary and I would never suggest someone not stay or live here, but lets get real about the realities. so that people who have not been can make informed decisions. It is beautiful, inexpensive and a refreshing change for people overly regulated 1st world ecomies but it is not democratic in any meaninful sense of the word, it is third world, it is not a particularly safe country for people with money, which is why locals with money all live in guarded compounds and have guns. Telling the truth does not mean you do not like a place, I find that filipino's often have mental block when foreigners make criticisms of their country, which they have a problem coming to terms with. It is not true to say that if you do not have a business in the phils or partake of the seedier side of life that you ll be ok. Foreigners are targets in the phillipines full stop. Primarily for their perceived wealth I believe just as rich locals are targets too. It is just a question of balance, between the good and the bad. When I read lines, like the philipines is a democracy being stated seriously, I almost feel disbelief at the notion being held, having witnessed the machinations of the countrys politics and the control exercised by the few families in ultimate control of the nation.

The Philippines is a democratic country, closely modeled after the US system with Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government. I don't know what that has to do with kidnapping or murder of tourists.