Birthday And Other Calibrations In Philippines Culture

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Is it true that Filipinos would rather celebrate a birthday more as an event and not so much as time of receiving gifts? What I see is the family would provide a meal with a cake and maybe some simple giveaways with activities for the invited family and friends to enjoy. There is little expectation of gifts for the birthday person it’s more about a group activity. Is this how you see things done in Cebu? This is my take on it but I don't live there.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I will let you know my opinion after January 2. My father-in-law turns 60 that day. The family wants to treat him to a big party. :551:

Jake
Posted
Posted
Is it true that Filipinos would rather celebrate a birthday more as an event and not so much as time of receiving gifts? What I see is the family would provide a meal with a cake and maybe some simple giveaways with activities for the invited family and friends to enjoy. There is little expectation of gifts for the birthday person it’s more about a group activity. Is this how you see things done in Cebu? This is my take on it but I don't live there.
From my personal experience, in most cases it's the event that brings the people together. Giving and receiving gifts are too costly for most folks but one is expected to throw a party anyway, regardless of budget. Unfortunately, these days you need to post a bouncer to keep out uninvited guests. Often times however, inviting an individual means their whole family and close friends to tag along. I allowed it to happena couple times but then my foot went down hard after that.Your wife or girlfriend needs to understand that you are NOT a walking ATM machine. As Softail suggested, sit down with your partner andput everything on the table. Show the current and upcoming bills against what you have. The concept of monthly budgeting is not within the mindset of a typical Filipino and it's a very poor excuse to say: well, that's part of the Filipino culture. How they conveniently forget the other part of that is charity begins at home. Immediate family will always come first.......Respectfully -- Jake

URGIRL
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake, well u wrote (It's a very poor excuse to say: well, that's part of the Filipino culture.)thats how we grow up and how our parents taught.the birth day is on, either no food or with food either will receive gifts or no gifts we use to it. as long us were healthy and we can offer prayer in church, but as adult we don't think much on our b-days but were on more care to our kids b-day plus with taking pics of course cz kids grow so fast its like evidence on how we treat our kids while their young,i remember when i was a kid my parents always celebrate my b-day even how busy they are in work even how cheap their salary in other hand am pleased and so grateful their trying their best to make me happy in simple way i love blowing candles so much, am excited every time my b-day.mmmmmmmm its like family reunion too cz its the time u can see all ur relatives some will brought food but a lot dont care so better to prepare foods to stay away to be talk of the town :551:,so its not about cz the husband foreigner its just we been on it many years.what they thought is just cz married to foreigner they expect more food but if ur wise enough u can find ways to change their way of thinking remember (Where there's a will there's a way) If we have the determination to do something, we can always find the path to do it. :)take care be safe have a nice day........kind regards,Che che

From my personal experience, in most cases it's the event that brings the people together. Giving and receiving gifts are too costly for most folks but one is expected to throw a party anyway, regardless of budget. Unfortunately, these days you need to post a bouncer to keep out uninvited guests. Often times however, inviting an individual means their whole family and close friends to tag along. I allowed it to happena couple times but then my foot went down hard after that.Your wife or girlfriend needs to understand that you are NOT a walking ATM machine. As Softail suggested, sit down with your partner andput everything on the table. Show the current and upcoming bills against what you have. The concept of monthly budgeting is not within the mindset of a typical Filipino and it's a very poor excuse to say: well, that's part of the Filipino culture. How they conveniently forget the other part of that is charity begins at home. Immediate family will always come first.......Respectfully -- Jake

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

So a birthday party for the younger family members is more of a major event? I kinda see that way now that I think about it and Che Che mentioned her experiences. My wife is absolutely ruthless as a gate keeper! Gotta love that woman.:551:

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hi Jake, well u wrote (It's a very poor excuse to say: well, that's part of the Filipino culture.)thats how we grow up and how our parents taught.the birth day is on, either no food or with food either will receive gifts or no gifts we use to it. as long us were healthy and we can offer prayer in church, but as adult we don't think much on our b-days but were on more care to our kids b-day plus with taking pics of course cz kids grow so fast its like evidence on how we treat our kids while their young,i remember when i was a kid my parents always celebrate my b-day even how busy they are in work even how cheap their salary in other hand am pleased and so grateful their trying their best to make me happy in simple way i love blowing candles so much, am excited every time my b-day.mmmmmmmm its like family reunion too cz its the time u can see all ur relatives some will brought food but a lot dont care so better to prepare foods to stay away to be talk of the town :551:,so its not about cz the husband foreigner its just we been on it many years.what they thought is just cz married to foreigner they expect more food but if ur wise enough u can find ways to change their way of thinking remember (Where there's a will there's a way) If we have the determination to do something, we can always find the path to do it. :)take care be safe have a nice day........kind regards,Che che
I'm sorry, sometimes my writing is confusing and not very clear. What I meant that's part of the Filipino culture refers to the monthly budgetingthat is not often practiced by a typical Filipino. The street level loan sharks called 5-6 operators are all too common among friends and relatives.Endless borrowing, live today and not worry about tomorrow (like saving for medical emergencies) are the typical Filipino way.Respectfully -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

My wife just saved me a bunch of money yesterday. Her daughter turned 13 two weeks ago while we were in Korea and had no money to send her, so I bought cake and ice cream yesterday to make up for it. I wanted to take her to the swimming pool with a few friends all of us at the house (maybe 10 people total), but my wife kept shooting it down as too expensive. I'm glad she did, as we're in no position to be spending money right now, even though I insisted we should do it. We didn't do it, but I'm sure she'll thank us for it if we have a comfortable life in the Philippines this year, rather than ditching her to work abroad again because we ran out of money.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
My wife just saved me a bunch of money yesterday. Her daughter turned 13 two weeks ago while we were in Korea and had no money to send her, so I bought cake and ice cream yesterday to make up for it. I wanted to take her to the swimming pool with a few friends all of us at the house (maybe 10 people total), but my wife kept shooting it down as too expensive. I'm glad she did, as we're in no position to be spending money right now, even though I insisted we should do it. We didn't do it, but I'm sure she'll thank us for it if we have a comfortable life in the Philippines this year, rather than ditching her to work abroad again because we ran out of money.
Seems like you have a very good thing going on for you there my friend! :lmao: I hope this next year will be a prosporus one for you and your family.

brock
Posted
Posted

( Endless borrowing, live today and not worry about tomorrow (like saving for medical emergencies) are the typical Filipino way.)Hear Hear Jake.Lets have a party, buy useless things, buy a phone, go out and get drunk, Lets spend all our money today.Dont worry about tomorrow when the rent is due or we have no food, or the kids have an accident and need medical treatment.Now I am probably going to get jumped on by my beautiful and loving wife Che Che, BUT IMHO,It is not culture.....Just Stupidity.Waiting for the flakRegards Brock. :lmao:

URGIRL
Posted
Posted (edited)

TA! 4 the compliment Brock,but take a chill pill,yeah alright u win that thang :) now thats take the micky ta-ta! 4 now :P ..... take care be safe :)

( Endless borrowing, live today and not worry about tomorrow (like saving for medical emergencies) are the typical Filipino way.)Hear Hear Jake.Lets have a party, buy useless things, buy a phone, go out and get drunk, Lets spend all our money today.Dont worry about tomorrow when the rent is due or we have no food, or the kids have an accident and need medical treatment.Now I am probably going to get jumped on by my beautiful and loving wife Che Che, BUT IMHO,It is not culture.....Just Stupidity.Waiting for the flakRegards Brock. :lmao:
Edited by URGIRL