Financial Considerations

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted

If you had 5 times your current income and/or liquid assets --Would you spend more time... or less time... or the same amount of time in the PH?Do you wish you had more money so that you could enjoy the PH more... or so that you could spend less time in the PH?[Note -- This topic is financial... please do not wander off into other reasons you are in the PH... except as they relate to your PH decisions if you had a 5 fold increase in finances]

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If you had 5 times your current income and/or liquid assets --Would you spend more time... or less time... or the same amount of time in the PH?Do you wish you had more money so that you could enjoy the PH more... or so that you could spend less time in the PH?[Note -- This topic is financial... please do not wander off into other reasons you are in the PH... except as they relate to your PH decisions if you had a 5 fold increase in finances]
I would do just as I am doing but yes I wish I had lots more money so I could better help our family by buying a large tract of land and build a bunch of houses on it for any or all who wished to live on it, and work it, and then also having money to possibly open a homeless feeding shelter of some type with showers, water filters and used clothing to give out to the poor. I personally think a rich person would be a fool to live full time in the PHL unless all they were after was younger women, or they wished to make their wives happy, and myself being married, we go because my wife wishes to be there and because it makes this old man feel good to be flirted and smiled at so often by ladies who unfortunately probably only do it because they see dollar signs on my forehead.  :th_thsmilies-29057:  

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
I would do just as I am doing but yes I wish I had lots more money so I could better help our family by buying a large tract of land and build a bunch of houses on it for any or all who wished to live on it, and work it, and then also having money to possibly open a homeless feeding shelter of some type with showers, water filters and used clothing to give out to the poor. I personally think a rich person would be a fool to live full time in the PHL unless all they were after was younger women, or they wished to make their wives happy, and myself being married, we go because my wife wishes to be there and because it makes this old man feel good to be flirted and smiled at so often by ladies who unfortunately probably only do it because they see dollar signs on my forehead. :th_thsmilies-29057:
Nice answer, Lee... We have similar thoughts on this subject.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Nice answer, Lee... We have similar thoughts on this subject.
Thank you Tom, I wrote it from my heart and I can tell you are the same type of person that I am, yet I forgot to mention that there would be others who I would like to help to make their dreams come true, such as Tom the owner of this forum who wants to move full time to the Philippines and I would have loved to help Traveler stay in Cebu at least until the peso came back in our direction and then there is my neighbor who I just found out is very sick because he is having a very hard time living on his SS alone so he was not eating and luckily one of our other neighbors has loaned his lady some money to try to help him out until his check comes and I loaned him money a few times so far this year but that is just a downhill slide because he will not be able to catch up unless the US gives him a large raise in his SS and at least a rebate to help him survive and the peso turns around for us, so my heart goes out to many who try to help themselves but in this crazy world many find it difficult to get far enough ahead to fulfill their dreams, so I wish I was very rich, but at the same time I know I am at least blessed to be where I am today.  

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Good question. if I had 5x my assets, I would not limit myself to the PI, I would travel to other places in Asia, S. America, Europe until I found the right one for me. There are many great places that are safer with far better infrastructure and less problems then the Philippines. The problem is having the time and money to explore all these places and find the right one, can't do it looking at a web site and only you can know that. Hey, that could be a lifetime endeavor in itself for the remaining 15 or 20 years I have (27 if you believe the Lifetime Estimator, which I don't). So many places, so little time....

Jake
Posted
Posted

Dang Counsel, you're on a roll with these great post starters. To be honest with you, I would probably remain here in southern Californiaenjoying the fruits of my hard earned labor. Like MikeB suggested, I'm with you buddy. There are still many wonderful travel sites, evenin the States and Canada. But I would find a couple months to get back to my native land, using it as a starting point to visit other Asiancountries, including Australia and New Zealand.Respectfully -- Jake

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

More money has no affect on my decision to be here. My status would not change.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you had 5 times your current income and/or liquid assets -- Would you spend more time... or less time... or the same amount of time in the PH?Technically I would spend less time. I live full time in Cebu but 5 X my current budget would enable me to travel more. I would likely vacation for a month or so per year outside the Philippines.Do you wish you had more money so that you could enjoy the PH more... or so that you could spend less time in the PH?More money would enable me to suck more enjoyment out of my life in the Philippines as I would probably get a place on the waterfront and a fancy boat and check out other areas staying in nice hotels. But that is a decadent pleasure and I don't really need it.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Tom,If I had an income 5 times as much, I wouldn't be here now replying to your question on this forum and I wouldn't have met all you nice people! Anyway, ever since my pension doubled 2 yrs ago, we are content and happy the way things are today, but if I ever hit the big prize LOTTO, things will change for sure, but fat chance that ever happening in my lifetime! 1%20(103).gif why-me.gifmocking.gifArtThe "Happy Camper"

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted

Well, to each their own... nice responses. My present plans are, more or less, to split time between Dallas and Cebu... summer at house near Dallas, winter at condo in Cebu. If I had 5X the assets... I would adjust somewhat... Winter at condo in Cebu, spring/summer at condo near Daytona Beach FL, and summer/fall at condo near Monterey CA. Now... where did I put that lotto ticket dreams.gif