Is It Really Cheaper To Live In The Phils

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Never been to Australia, just seen pictures and TV shows! So, I don't know how their apples compare with the Philippine apples! BTW, is Australia a 3rd world country? I don't think so! Maybe out in the bush outbacks eh! No pun intended, because I really don't know!
Australia a third world country,lolNot sure what TV shows you watch but Australia is very similar to the US, Our economy is in better shape than the US.Our city's are just like yours.The bush outbacks as you call them are just like your out back Texas as Ive seen Texas on TV. So for example if you were downtown Florida (not sure where you came from) and I blind folded you,put you on a plane,after landing In my City Brisbane, removing the blind fold you would probably think you were still in Florida. If you drove about an hour from where I live to the Gold Coast as its called, I would take you to the suburb called Miami which is on the beach , why is it called that? Just to add, never been to the US but seen lots on TV and no Australia is not a third world country.We even use a knife and fork,the spoon if for desert. biggrin.gif
But Jim was comparing an Australian City to Cebu City and not the U.S.!! I know Australia isn't a 3rd world country (just kidding) from what I've seen on TV.!
I'm very familiar with Australia because I saw all 3 Crocodile Dundee movies. Nothing like Florida aka Puerto Rico. They all carry big knives and wrestle crocs. And speak English.
lolfunny thing that,I met a member last year and he had good knowledge of crocodile dundee movies and gave me the impression that he thought Australia was like that. 1%20(103).gif

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

$1,000 a month ,that is about what the vice president of the Phillipines makes, if you can live on $1,000 a month in your country more than likely you can live in the Phillipines, having said that, my wife son and i live on less, we make more but we are simple people, we have a lot more than most fillipinos, we raise our own pigs ,chickens,and have some coconut, we are also money lenders on a small scale, we have a 40 sq meter house, air condition in the bed rooms, our utility bills this month, Water P460 ,electricP890, Pldt P900 food P8,000 soap and other house hold things P 5,000 that comes to about P15,000 we also help my wifes parents, not a monthy check but set them up in a small business, also her two brother have trycycle cab for their income, it is better to do this than to hand out money every month, it helps us and helps them.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Never been to Australia, just seen pictures and TV shows! So, I don't know how their apples compare with the Philippine apples! BTW, is Australia a 3rd world country? I don't think so! Maybe out in the bush outbacks eh! No pun intended, because I really don't know!
Australia a third world country,lolNot sure what TV shows you watch but Australia is very similar to the US, Our economy is in better shape than the US.Our city's are just like yours.The bush outbacks as you call them are just like your out back Texas as Ive seen Texas on TV. So for example if you were downtown Florida (not sure where you came from) and I blind folded you,put you on a plane,after landing In my City Brisbane, removing the blind fold you would probably think you were still in Florida. If you drove about an hour from where I live to the Gold Coast as its called, I would take you to the suburb called Miami which is on the beach , why is it called that? Just to add, never been to the US but seen lots on TV and no Australia is not a third world country.We even use a knife and fork,the spoon if for desert. biggrin.gif
But Jim was comparing an Australian City to Cebu City and not the U.S.!! I know Australia isn't a 3rd world country (just kidding) from what I've seen on TV.!
I'm very familiar with Australia because I saw all 3 Crocodile Dundee movies. Nothing like Florida aka Puerto Rico. They all carry big knives and wrestle crocs. And speak English.
So tell me just what kinda "English" do they speak in Australia?:SugarwareZ-037:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
$1,000 a month ,that is about what the vice president of the Phillipines makes, if you can live on $1,000 a month in your country more than likely you can live in the Phillipines, having said that, my wife son and i live on less, we make more but we are simple people, we have a lot more than most fillipinos, we raise our own pigs ,chickens,and have some coconut, we are also money lenders on a small scale, we have a 40 sq meter house, air condition in the bed rooms, our utility bills this month, Water P460 ,electricP890, Pldt P900 food P8,000 soap and other house hold things P 5,000 that comes to about P15,000 we also help my wifes parents, not a monthy check but set them up in a small business, also her two brother have trycycle cab for their income, it is better to do this than to hand out money every month, it helps us and helps them.
I respect the fact you make due with that budget and you are wise and kind enough to help your family capitalize their own businesses. I am curious about your money lending business. From what I know that can be a very dangerous activity to say the least.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

We live sometimes in Marikina City, outside Manila, and sometimes in the Leyte countryside, in a small town. It's absolutely cheaper to live in the countryside. The electricity bill out here in the province is nothing compared to Marikina. In Marikina they were actually being overcharged for a long time, and now are due a large rebate. Still, they pay 3,000 pesos plus every month. Out here in Leyte, you could live on very, very little. But it's not the same life. It's a humble, simple, country life, with lots of friends and family.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
We live sometimes in Marikina City, outside Manila, and sometimes in the Leyte countryside, in a small town. It's absolutely cheaper to live in the countryside. The electricity bill out here in the province is nothing compared to Marikina. In Marikina they were actually being overcharged for a long time, and now are due a large rebate. Still, they pay 3,000 pesos plus every month. Out here in Leyte, you could live on very, very little. But it's not the same life. It's a humble, simple, country life, with lots of friends and family.
I agree.That town for me on Leyte is PalomponElectricity is less than P1000 per month for all the usual electrical conveniences, so long as you only use fans and no aircon.I was supposed to be renting a new place in Palompon right now for me and my GF but she is back to be being my ex GF again and the money went into a very small KTV bar instead. Which is another story all in itself. However, I would have been happy with what was available for about P3000 per month in Palompon. I have an American friend here who lives in a 3 storey, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom apartment, 10 minutes walk to the sea for P5000 per month, plus utilities. He tells me that most months his total expenses including living, food, car and entertainment is P20,000 Regards: Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I agree.That town for me on Leyte is PalomponElectricity is less than P1000 per month for all the usual electrical conveniences, so long as you only use fans and no aircon.I was supposed to be renting a new place in Palompon right now for me and my GF but she is back to be being my ex GF again and the money went into a very small KTV bar instead. Which is another story all in itself. However, I would have been happy with what was available for about P3000 per month in Palompon. I have an American friend here who lives in a 3 storey, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom apartment, 10 minutes walk to the sea for P5000 per month, plus utilities. He tells me that most months his total expenses including living, food, car and entertainment is P20,000 Regards: Jim
Well, your statements and what I've said all along should prove to Travis aka Traveler, that it is possible to live in the Philippines on a $1,000 a month pension! But some people just can't live without air conditioning, hot running water, their morning cup of Star Buck's coffee every morning, beer tab and their imported grocery items!

• 4 weeks later...
roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

I've worked out that it's possible to live a reasonably comfortable life on $300 ozzie dollars per week..(12,000pesos)...all things included. That is excellent when considering that the average Australian family has to pay that per week for their mortgage alone! And many struggle to do that...both working, no family time...ah! love the rat race...

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I've worked out that it's possible to live a reasonably comfortable life on $300 ozzie dollars per week..(12,000pesos)...all things included. That is excellent when considering that the average Australian family has to pay that per week for their mortgage alone! And many struggle to do that...both working, no family time...ah! love the rat race...
th_thholysheep.gifSure! If one is single and just wants to survive here in the Philippines as a tourist! Yeah, you might make it on 300 ozzie dollars per week! With a Filipino wife and child, maybe! My Fil/Am Uncle at the age of 80 who has his Dual Citizenship does it some how with his $700 a month U.S. Social Security pension! Edited by Fil/AmArt

Travis
Posted
Posted

not to be disrespectful to any who have posted but imo there is a big difference between living & existing & living a life of just existing is not what I had in mind for my retirement. I believe it is possible to live on $300 a week but I think $400 or even $500 a week would be closer to the life that I would wish for myself in retirement & allowing for some reserve for emergencies & some to give to a ladies family to keep them of your ladies back