Majic Jack

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I use Magic Jack in the US and in the Philippines and it works great. Is is 100%, no but it is pretty good and I have found it to be more reliable and better sound quality than Yahoo or Skype and getting a years service for less than the price of one month of service of another VOIP provider, you cannot go wrong if you are going to use it for personal use, unless they go out of business. One great thing I love about it is that I forward all my phones to it when I leave the US and then they ring in the Philippines for free and people have no way of knowing where we are calling them from since the caller id comes up Florida because I picked a Florida number. Earlier this year while in Cebu I made literally hundreds of phone calls and many of my friends used our MJ to call Canada, Hawaii and all over the USA and it was all free. I also found it great when I had a problem with my return ticket and had to contact the US airline as well as when I had to talk to a bank in the US about an issue. I would say that one out of maybe 20 to 30 calls, I have to redial because of an echo or what seemed like a bad connection, but who cares when it cost so little to start with. I even renewed online at mymagicjack dot com and got 4 years for $59.99 which is less than $15 a month but I am gambling that they will not go out of business.Some people say it is a rip off and I say, for the cost of a meal out, I get a year of service and I have already gotten my monies worth if they go out of business tomorrow, but I sure hope they don't.

• 8 months later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Update on Magic Jack. It is getting better as time goes on. Almost every call that I have made or received on it, has been prefect and they are now selling them in Radio Shack too for $39.99. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=3382475Also, they are now offering 5 year renewal for $59.99, basically the cost of a good dinner out and you end up with a US phone line and unlimited calls for 6 years and do not have to worry about any bills until that time runs out.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I got mine at Radio Shack. I have been using it a couple of months and it has worked very well. Occasionally I have to redial because they can't hear me but not often enough for it to be a problem. Can't beat it in my opinion. It has saved me double the inital cost in Phone cards already and I can talk every day now. SugarwareZ-003.gif

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

Lee,Is Magic jack able to make calls to Australia and UK or is it just for calls to US?Paul

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee,Is Magic jack able to make calls to Australia and UK or is it just for calls to US?Paul
Yes and no. The calls to other countries can be made but you have to prepay some money to sort of put it in their bank and then use the long distance service that they offer. Australia is 18 cents and the UK is 23 cents because the calls are going through US numbers, but you can call anywhere in the US, Canada, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Hawaii for free. Sorry but I know that those will probably not help you. Anyon interested can go to MagicJack.com and look at frequently asked questions and all the answers would be there. Here is their rate chart for international calls http://www.ymaxcorp.com/clec_rates.html

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
It also depends on where the Magic Jack is set up. If it was set up in Australia you could call there for free. You can call any other magic jack for free also

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It also depends on where the Magic Jack is set up. If it was set up in Australia you could call there for free. You can call any other magic jack for free also
I think that post is misleading because of its simplicity. When you get a Magic Jack and set it up, you get to pick a number anywhere in the US that they have numbers and anyone with a US number can call it as if they were calling someone in the US, so therefore it would only be a domestic call to the Magic Jack. Most people in the US have long distance domestic calling packages or their cell phones can make domestic calls for free, so yes if someone in the US has something like that or another Magic Jack or if they live near the number you pick, then the call would be free, but it is always free for a Magic Jack to call them if they are in the places I listed above. If a person has a Magic Jack anywhere in the world and you also have a Magic Jack anywhere in the world, then you could call them for free but that of course requires two Magic Jacks. What I do for people within the places that I can call for free with my Magic Jack and that do not have free calling plans themselves, I tell them to call me and ring and then hang up and I will see that they called on the Magic Jack caller id and then call them back for free.I am sorry but this can get a little difficult to explain, so sometimes we have to drag it out in our replies. Paul, if you get two Magic Jacks and set one up in the Philippines on your computer with dsl and the person you wish to call anywhere else in the world gets a Magic Jack and sets it up on their computer with fast access, then you would be able to talk to them for free all the time and as much as you would want to, as long as the fast access provider does not block the VOIP service, such as in China or at some hotels who provide the fast access. Hope that better explains it for you and others. Anyone can go here http://www.magicjack.com/7/faq/ and read all the faq's and know more about it.One other thing I should mention, it will only work on computers with Windows Vista or computers with windows XP originally installed by the factory. It will not work in some computers that have been upgraded to XP or some older computers that were built in the Philippines with older parts and that therefore have USB one ports instead of USB 2 ports. Again confusing but the Philippines takes a lot of scrap computers and puts them together to sell and therefore, if you bought a system in the Philippines years ago, then make sure it has USB 2 ports before buying a Magic Jack because it will not work for you if it does not have the USB 2 ports.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I think that post is misleading because of its simplicity. When you get a Magic Jack and set it up, you get to pick a number anywhere in the US that they have numbers and anyone with a US number can call it as if they were calling someone in the US, so therefore it would only be a domestic call to the Magic Jack. Most people in the US have long distance domestic calling packages or their cell phones can make domestic calls for free, so yes if someone in the US has something like that or another Magic Jack or if they live near the number you pick, then the call would be free, but it is always free for a Magic Jack to call them if they are in the places I listed above. If a person has a Magic Jack anywhere in the world and you also have a Magic Jack anywhere in the world, then you could call them for free but that of course requires two Magic Jacks. What I do for people within the places that I can call for free with my Magic Jack and that do not have free calling plans themselves, I tell them to call me and ring and then hang up and I will see that they called on the Magic Jack caller id and then call them back for free.I am sorry but this can get a little difficult to explain, so sometimes we have to drag it out in our replies. Paul, if you get two Magic Jacks and set one up in the Philippines on your computer with dsl and the person you wish to call anywhere else in the world gets a Magic Jack and sets it up on their computer with fast access, then you would be able to talk to them for free all the time and as much as you would want to, as long as the fast access provider does not block the VOIP service, such as in China or at some hotels who provide the fast access. Hope that better explains it for you and others. Anyone can go here http://www.magicjack.com/7/faq/ and read all the faq's and know more about it.One other thing I should mention, it will only work on computers with Windows Vista or computers with windows XP originally installed by the factory. It will not work in some computers that have been upgraded to XP or some older computers that were built in the Philippines with older parts and that therefore have USB one ports instead of USB 2 ports. Again confusing but the Philippines takes a lot of scrap computers and puts them together to sell and therefore, if you bought a system in the Philippines years ago, then make sure it has USB 2 ports before buying a Magic Jack because it will not work for you if it does not have the USB 2 ports.
Magic Jack is just VOIP is it not? or is it something like Skype?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Magic Jack is just VOIP is it not? or is it something like Skype?
Yes, it is a VOIP but it only cost $40 for a whole year of service and they offer $59.99 for a 5 year renewal, so you get 6 years for basically $100 and you cannot get 3 months of most phone services for that amount. It is also just a little box the size of a zippo cigarette lighter and you can carry it around with you and all you need is any phone to plug into it and plug it into any newer computer with high speed, and you can use a head set like skype if you prefer.The thing I like about it is, it issues you a local phone number within the states and anyone can call you as well as you call them and they do not have to be at their computer like skype and do not even have to have a computer because they can call you from their land line or from a cell phone while on the run. Many of my friends call us in the Philippines while we are there and while they are out running around in their cars because the time zone works out better for them that way. Now as long as they do not go out of business, then we are all set for the next 5 years and if they do, I already got my monies worth IMO and I will not cry but I doubt they will go out of business until they hit the saturation point and are no longer selling, and right now they are selling like hotcake's. They are on infomercial and on regular TV ads and being sold in major stores now, so I do not think they will ever go out of business, but like any other purchase, one has to realize that things can go wrong.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Well I am a simple guy. I am not familiar with the phone system there but you could at least call the local area where the phone was set up for free. I am sure if you went to their website you could get the exact details for the phone use in Australia. :thumbsup: