Philippine Social Security Entitlement

andre007
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave I was surprised and amazed to see an SSS story here on this forum and thought I would chime in on my SSS story part of my life so far. The father must have had an annulment because their law states survivor-ship goes to Spouse if married, dependent children, parents the anyone other designated such as an additional benefit.

This is a partial of an epic novel I will write one day regarding my last 5 months of my life and also give a reason why I placed an advertisement for a ya-ya.

My girlfriend gave birth to twin boys last November 25th and shortly thereafter the mother of my twins died..( Ill fast forward and skip the middle details for my other story)

There was a 3way custody battle with myself the Lola and Lolo and I should simply put grandmother and grandfather. I ended up with the children by law. In the mist of all of this the grandmother and grandfather were both attempting to collect on their daughters SSS. I was even advised and asked not to claim. I told them I have have no idea what it was and I did not care.

Well curiosity got the best of me because when you would tell a person not to do something there is a reason. I went online and searched the SSS and i found out regarding benefit claims and as I mentioned above it goes like this:

1, Souse if married

2. Dependent children

3. grandparents

4 Designated beneficiaries etc.

Well that simply means because I am the biological father and sole custodian means anything collected and claimed had to be claimed by me. This did not set well with both grandparents when they found this out. They even tried to get me to sign my rights over.

I went to SSS to obtain more information and the grandmother was there with all the paperwork by coincidence. She take me to the intake taker and she was advised I am the only person who can claim and it id for use of the babies not anybody else. I asked her how much was there and she told me P16,000. Till his day I have not claimed the benefits because I have to get a few forms notarized and I am just so busy with the babies.

There is more to this story but the moral of this little excerpt is do not count those chickens before they hatch...lol

Edited by andre007
  • Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Andre, I wish to offer my belated condolences as well as congratulate you on your twins... As the father of (grown) twins and the grandfather of another pair of twins (payback for one of my twins?), I have a good idea of just how busy you are! Having twins does not mean twice the time or twice the cost - it means at least 3x and often 4 times the cost and time! You are doing the right thing in doing what you can for your sons - if you ever get the time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some information on our SSS:

Any Filipino, at least 18 year old with an earning either as self-employed or employed can become a member. In any case that a new member will die after paying her first contribution he/she is already entiitled of a burial benefit, current is 20K pesos upon presentation of the death certificate and expenses of burial (funeral).

If a member dies with less than 36 months contributions, his/her beneficiary will receive a one time lump-sum benefit determine by SSS office. If upon death monthly contribution exceeded 36 months, the beneficiary/ies shall be entitled with a monthly pension. Children should not be over 21 years old. If the wife/husband will remarry montly pension will be cut-off but the children will still have until age 21.

For a member to enjoy a monthly pension upon reaching age 60 years old, he/she needs to have a 120 months contributions.

In case of member's disability due to accident or serious illness, any member could also avail of early disability pension.

A government employee who had a GSIS pension upon retirement can also avail of SSS benefits upon retirement provided he/she applied and paid for the monthly contributions. Meaning he/she can have both benefits upon reaching the age of 60 years. (and all of the above mentioned benefits.) But a self employed individual could not apply for a GSIS membership because this is only for government employees. There are many government employees who are not aware of this and end up regretting.

SSS also will pay part of hospitals bills except for maternity expenses. (This is to cover expenses while a member is incapacitated to work and earn)

So far this is what I knew about as based on my personal and friend's experiences and conversations from former classsmates working in SSS office. Any additional or corrrection as to detail will be gladly welcome and accepted.

Edited by daisy
  • Like 4

daisy
Posted
Posted

Addditional:

A SSS member is a member forever....example if you happen to have a SSS number and paid only one time and forget about it....that person is still entitled for a burial benefit base on the current SSS burial rate.

I happened to help a neighbor in my hometown years ago and that widow was very happy because she never expect that she can still claim it. She just shared to me that her husband when he was till young, had worked as a conductor in a Bus company for 3 months and so I told her, I will give it a try and I asked for her husband's full name and birthday. I didn't asked anything except for the refund of my expenses in getting the birth and death certifcates. Yes I still had to be the one doing it because the old woman didn't know anything about it. I accompanied her and one of her children to CDO when she picked up her check two days after I submitted the complete requirements.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Any Filipino, at least 18 year old with an earning either as self-employed or employed can become a member. In any case that a new member will die after paying her first contribution he/she is already entiitled of a burial benefit,

current is 20K pesos upon presentation of the death certificate and expenses of burial (funeral). If a member dies with less than 36 months contributions,

his/her beneficiary will receive a one time lump-sum benefit determine by SSS office.

If upon death monthly contribution exceeded 36 months, the beneficiary/ies shall be entitled with a monthly pension.

Children should not be over 21 years old. If the wife/husband will remarry montly pension will be cut-off but the children will still have until age 21.

For a member to enjoy a monthly pension upon reaching age 60 years old, he/she needs to have a 120 months contributions.

this is another way that one can help the "family" so that they slightly more assistance when needed,

We can make these contributions on their behalf

at any SSS office, SM service center,Bayan bill pay(?) and some banks,

all that is needed, is the name, SSS #,address and the form(RS-5,) this is another way that the we can help the "family" or even our spouse long after we have gone

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Till his day I have not claimed the benefits because I have to get a few forms notarized and I am just so busy with the babies.

Andre007.

any update on your status?

how was your interaction w/the SSS personal?

and of course how is the twins?

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

seems that Philippine SSS has a new entitlement

paying for education

Perhaps this can be used by some of the FM to help the "extended" family when they ""need""money for higher education

The Social Security System (SSS) has widened the field of eligible members for SSS educational loans to help more workers and beneficiaries borrow enrollment funds for college, technical and vocational courses for the upcoming second semester that will start in November.

SSS Assistant Vice President for Lending and Asset Management Ma. Luz Generoso said members with a basic monthly income of P15,000 or below now qualify for the Educational Assistance Loan Program or "Educ-Assist."

The cap on monthly income was previously pegged at P12,000.

"Members just need to submit an employer’s certification of monthly income or a copy of their latest pay slip or pay envelope as part of the requirements. We expect a fresh batch of applicants for Educ-Assist loans in time for second semester enrollment," she said.

To qualify, members must have at least a total of 36 monthly premiums, three of which should be within 12 months prior to application. Interested borrowers must also have up-to-date SSS loan payments, or a maximum of three unpaid amortizations for those with overdue loans.

Generoso said the maximum loanable amount per semester or trimester is P15,000 for college degrees and P7,500 for voc-tech courses. The loan may be used for tuition and miscellaneous expenses of members, their legal spouse or children, while siblings of unmarried members can also be loan beneficiaries.

https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/index2.jsp?secid=3304&cat=6&pg=null

SSS offers bigger Educ-Assist loans,
eases eligibility terms

More college and vocational-technical (voc-tech) course students can expect to meet their financial requirements for enrollment as

the Social Security System (SSS) further liberalized the guidelines of its educational loan facility called the SSS Educational Assistance Loan Program or "Educ-Assist".

"Members can now borrow up to P20,000 per semester or trimester,

up from the previous limit of P15,000 for college degrees.

For voc-tech courses, we likewise increased the maximum loanable amount to P10,000 from the previous cap of P7,500 per semester or trimester," he noted.

https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/index2.jsp?secid=4165&cat=6&pg=null

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm really happy to hear that you and the twins are doing well!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2