Philippine Social Security Entitlement

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Andre, it's stories like yours that tells me I won't regret moving to the Philippines... Thank you!

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Till his day I have not claimed the benefits because I have to get a few forms notarized and I am just so busy with the babies.

Andre007.

any update on your status?

how was your interaction w/the SSS personal?

and of course how is the twins?

I have been off the forum for so long and I happened to notice this and decided to reply. I finally applied for the benefits in February of this year. My interaction with them was great......

As far as Nathan and Michael I am truly blessed. They are the most handsome, smart, playful, loving, happy and most of the time naughty little boys. They have been walking since 9 months old and runiing since 9 1/2 months old so inspite of all what happened they seem normal. I have had many people help me including my ex gf who actually hate me(go figure)..They say it takes a village to raise a child.. I believe that..

Triple LIKE Andre!  Yes indeed.....you are truly blessed.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

was not sure where to post.

here is some additional info on the philippine SSS for those who are thinking of helping the "family"

thanks DEAR PAO for the article

http://manilatimes.net/self-employed-sss-members-can-also-enjoy-retirement-benefits/71437/

Dear PAO,
I just want to inquire regarding SSS retirement benefits.

I am a self-employed member. I just want to know if I am qualified for retirement benefits or is this only exclusive for employees.

Should I pass away, will my live-in partner and relatives get any benefits from SSS? Thank you and more power.
MRZ

Dear MRZ,
Retirement benefit is one of the benefits granted by the Social Security System (SSS) to its qualified members pursuant to Republic Act (R.A.) No. 8282

or otherwise known as the Social Security Law of 1997. This benefit is not only exclusively granted in favor of SSS members who are employed. It is likewise given to self-employed members.

A self-employed member, such as yourself, may avail of the retirement benefit and be granted monthly pension for as long as you live provided that you have paid at least one hundred twenty (120) monthly contributions prior to the semester of your retirement

and that you either (1) reached the age of sixty (60) years and have already ceased to be self-employed,

or (2) reached the age of sixty-five (65) years. You may likewise opt to receive your first eighteen (18) monthly pensions in lump sum discounted at a preferential rate of interest to be determined by the SSS (Section 12-B (a), R.A. No. 8282).

Should the self-employed member fail to pay the required contributions stated above upon reaching sixty (60) years of age,

he or she may be entitled to a lump sum benefit equal to the total contributions he or she has already paid (Section 12-B (b), (R.A.) No. 8282).

If you pass away during the period you are already receiving your retirement benefit,

your primary beneficiaries will be entitled to receive a monthly pension. If you pass away within sixty (60) months from the start of your monthly pension and have no primary beneficiaries,

your secondary beneficiaries will be granted a lump sum benefit equivalent to the total monthly pensions corresponding to the balance of the five-year guaranteed period,

excluding dependents’ pension (Section 12-B (d), R.A. No. 8282).

However, we want to emphasize that the law specifically defines who the beneficiaries are. As provided for under Section 8 (k) in relation to Section 8 (e) of R.A. No. 8282, the term primary beneficiaries shall mean the dependent spouse until he or she remarries, dependent legitimate, legitimated, or legally adopted, and illegitimate child who is unmarried,

not gainfully employed and has not reached twenty-one years (21) of age, or if over twenty-one (21) years of age, he is congenitally or while still a minor has been permanently incapacitated and incapable of self-support, physically or mentally.

On the other hand, the term secondary beneficiaries shall mean the dependent parents of the member.

Accordingly, your live-in partner will not be entitled to receive monthly SSS pension upon your demise given that she does not fall under any of the above classes of beneficiaries.

Insofar as your relatives are concerned, only your qualified dependent legitimate, legitimated, or legally adopted, and illegitimate children, if you have any, or your dependent parents may claim such pension.