Filing Federal Taxes

United Army
Posted
Posted

Do you put your PH address on your Federal tax form or a address you have back in the states? Pros and Cons of which address you use?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

We file joint and we have to use a U.S. address when filing electronically through our on-line tax preparer which they set up the payments to IRS automatically if we owe anything, which we usually do now since our tax bracket went up 2 years ago! It's a no hassle process each year doing our taxes on-line which only takes 45 minutes from start to finish as long as we have all the information on hand needed to file.

Edited by Fil/AmArt

United Army
Posted
Posted
We file joint and we have to use a U.S. address when filing electronically through our on-line tax preparer which they set up the payments to IRS automatically if we owe anything, which we usually do now since our tax bracket went up 2 years ago! It's a no hassle process each year doing our taxes on-line which only takes 45 minutes from start to finish as long as we have all the information on hand needed to file.
Yes I do mine on line too and I also use my US address.

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya: I want to know, "How do you get your W-2 forwarded to you in the philippines? The Post office does not forward mail oversea's, so who do you use? Thanks.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hiya: I want to know, "How do you get your W-2 forwarded to you in the philippines? The Post office does not forward mail oversea's, so who do you use? Thanks.
Until they answer, USA BOX is a mail forwarding service that some of our friends use, and others use family or friends addresses to get their mail and then have it scanned and emailed to them.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

All of my U.S. Government pensions have websites and personal email accounts to access everything I need to do with my pay accounts! I can get copies of my yearly 1099R forms on-line for tax purposes and I can make changes on-line on my withholding tax, change of address, direct deposits, change of beneficiaries, medical coverage, elect savings bonds etc, you name it I can do it on-line! That's why I hardly ever get anything in the mail here in the Philippines from the U.S. other than just our local mail.

United Army
Posted
Posted
All of my U.S. Government pensions have websites and personal email accounts to access everything I need to do with my pay accounts! I can get copies of my yearly 1099R forms on-line for tax purposes and I can make changes on-line on my withholding tax, change of address, direct deposits, change of beneficiaries, medical coverage, elect savings bonds etc, you name it I can do it on-line! That's why I hardly ever get anything in the mail here in the Philippines from the U.S. other than just our local mail.
Yes, your correct...I get all my tax info on line and I can print out my 1099R, W-2 or any other docs I need. I file using turbo tax

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
Yes, your correct...I get all my tax info on line and I can print out my 1099R, W-2 or any other docs I need. I file using turbo tax
i may be wrong , but could this not be done at the US EMBASSY in manila??it would be a good excuse for a short trip to manila from time to time,i think they have a SS andIRSoffice there?? can anyone confirm that? tanks ej.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

E.J.,Yes they do, but I avoid having to go to Manila because of the crazy traffic there! In most cases now, you have to get an appointment letter on-line if you don't want to wait in line and possibly not be accommodated at all due time constriction. I only go to Manila as a last resort if there are no other options or if the U.S. Embassy makes it mandatory like to show proof of one's SSD income for verification that you are still alive and kicking which I believe is every 5 years! I had to do that with my Civil Service pension 3 yrs ago and now my SS since I'm now 62, because they will threaten you that they will suspend your direct deposit of your pension or income if you don't appear in person for an interview at the U.S. Embassy at your scheduled appointment that they will mail to your home of residence here in the Philippines if you live here permanently! So, it's important that you update your new mailing address to insure you will receive all of your important mail!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
E.J.,Yes they do, but I avoid having to go to Manila because of the crazy traffic there! In most cases now, you have to get an appointment letter on-line if you don't want to wait in line and possibly not be accommodated at all due time constriction. I only go to Manila as a last resort if there are no other options or if the U.S. Embassy makes it mandatory like to show proof of one's SSD income for verification that you are still alive and kicking which I believe is every 5 years! I had to do that with my Civil Service pension 3 yrs ago and now my SS since I'm now 62, because they will threaten you that they will suspend your direct deposit of your pension or income if you don't appear in person for an interview at the U.S. Embassy at your scheduled appointment that they will mail to your home of residence here in the Philippines if you live here permanently! So, it's important that you update your new mailing address to insure you will receive all of your important mail!
HI art..... manila is really that bad?i have no choice but to go there once a yyear. as the us embassy mla. is my home of records,when in PH.thats were all my family does its business,IRS.SS,etc. old ways i guess, but i have a cousin in magalanes village where i can stay when in MLA. and he can do the driving tanks ej.