My Latest Driving Experience

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

At this moment the wife and I are in Cotabato Province in Mindanao. We arrived December 31 in Davao and rented a car. I had a good experience with the same rental company the year before. I have read the stories on the forum about driving here. Driving here can be a challenge. I tend to be over cautious about overtaking anyone or anything. Crazy is trying to pass a bus! Let them pass!About an hour into the drive, we came upon a long stretch of road going into the Sta. Cruz area. A 3 axle truck was going way below the 50kph posted limit. Other cars passed him, so when clear, I made my move. About half way into passing, the truck suddenly moved into my lane. It tapped my passenger side mirror. Of course my reaction was to brake and move to the left. Unfortunately for us, we slid off the road into a ditch. The car rolled over. Turned Turtle as they say.The wife and I were fine, no injuries of any kind. Seat belts were worn and I am happy we were wearing them. This whole incident occurred at what I consider low speeds. I am not sure why the truck moved into our lane. We did not see anything in front of him. It was a big truck so maybe someone was close to the road walking. The driver of the truck did not stop. Several people did stop to help including two Philippine Army Police. Now my biggest concern was how all this would play out with me being a foreigner and all. I must say I was very impressed by the PNP Traffic Investigator. At the Sta. Cruz Police Station, the entire staff was friendly and professional. Fortunately there were no other injuries or vehicles damaged. Next we have to deal with the rental car company. They were concerned with our safety as well. The car has comprehensive insurance so this should be interesting to see how it works here. The wife and I keep thinking of how we could have avoided this accident. Everyone is of the same opinion, it was an accident. No use trying to blame yourself or others. What a way to start the New Year! Hey, at least we are alive and not injured!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
At this moment the wife and I are in Cotabato Province in Mindanao. We arrived December 31 in Davao and rented a car. I had a good experience with the same rental company the year before. I have read the stories on the forum about driving here. Driving here can be a challenge. I tend to be over cautious about overtaking anyone or anything. Crazy is trying to pass a bus! Let them pass!About an hour into the drive, we came upon a long stretch of road going into the Sta. Cruz area. A 3 axle truck was going way below the 50kph posted limit. Other cars passed him, so when clear, I made my move. About half way into passing, the truck suddenly moved into my lane. It tapped my passenger side mirror. Of course my reaction was to brake and move to the left. Unfortunately for us, we slid off the road into a ditch. The car rolled over. Turned Turtle as they say.The wife and I were fine, no injuries of any kind. Seat belts were worn and I am happy we were wearing them. This whole incident occurred at what I consider low speeds. I am not sure why the truck moved into our lane. We did not see anything in front of him. It was a big truck so maybe someone was close to the road walking. The driver of the truck did not stop. Several people did stop to help including two Philippine Army Police. Now my biggest concern was how all this would play out with me being a foreigner and all. I must say I was very impressed by the PNP Traffic Investigator. At the Sta. Cruz Police Station, the entire staff was friendly and professional. Fortunately there were no other injuries or vehicles damaged. Next we have to deal with the rental car company. They were concerned with our safety as well. The car has comprehensive insurance so this should be interesting to see how it works here. The wife and I keep thinking of how we could have avoided this accident. Everyone is of the same opinion, it was an accident. No use trying to blame yourself or others. What a way to start the New Year! Hey, at least we are alive and not injured!
Wow, what a terrible way to start the new year but at least you both did not get hurt and neither did anyone else. Please come back and fill us in when you find out more about the details of the rental etc. I wonder if the truck driver knew you were a kano? Could he have seen your face in the mirror and did it on purpose? I hate to think that but there are a lot of people in many parts of the PHL that would just as soon see us dead.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
... I wonder if the truck driver knew you were a kano? Could he have seen your face in the mirror and did it on purpose? I hate to think that but there are a lot of people in many parts of the PHL that would just as soon see us dead.
The accident seems as if it was one of those frustrating and dangerous occurrences that happen daily in the Philippines. The above comment, Mr Lee, struck me as fear mongering. I see no evidence in the opener's story that even slightly implies that he was targeted.The local lads do their best to avoid accidents like this by leaning on a very loud horn when passing. I suspect the opener was not doing that? The locals drive like they are shocked to find anyone else sharing the road with them. They drive all over without a care towards others. That seems to be why the culture of the 'horn' developed here.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
... I wonder if the truck driver knew you were a kano? Could he have seen your face in the mirror and did it on purpose? I hate to think that but there are a lot of people in many parts of the PHL that would just as soon see us dead.
The accident seems as if it was one of those frustrating and dangerous occurrences that happen daily in the Philippines. The above comment, Mr Lee, struck me as fear mongering. I see no evidence in the opener's story that even slightly implies that he was targeted.The local lads do their best to avoid accidents like this by leaning on a very loud horn when passing. I suspect the opener was not doing that? The locals drive like they are shocked to find anyone else sharing the road with them. They drive all over without a care towards others. That seems to be why the culture of the 'horn' developed here.
Sorry Dave, I do not consider my comment to be that at all and especially after I have met some people in in the Philippines such as a Muslim cleric who spoke to me of hate of all Americans with dagger shooting from his eyes towards me as we spoke. He did shake my hand when we were done and ended with " I guess not all Americans are bad, and you seem different" which told me that he still hated Americans and as long as you are a round eye in the Philippines, then you are probably thought of to be an American. I would not put it past someone to try to run us off the road on purpose and thus my question to the OP, did he think the guy saw his face in his mirror as he tried to pass him. Dave, I am not sure how many places in the PHL you have driven besides Cebu? but I have been to many parts of Mindanao and quite a few parts of Luzon and I can tell you that we are not liked by all Filipinos and even hated by quite a few, but thankfully the majority love us. Edited by Mr. Lee
add

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave, I am not sure how many places in the PHL you have driven besides Cebu?
You are right. I have only driven around Cebu and Leyte and my mind tends to fill in the blanks, that is to say I let myself make the assumption that driving in other provinces is similar to here. I expect it to be different in Manila but it did not occur to me that the situation on Mindanao would be as you suggest.Now that you mention it, I have known filipinos in Cebu who come from Muslim areas of Mindanao and they do look at me strangely. Almost with a repressed hostility. It does not make a person feel comfortable but I do my best to accept that their offers of friendship are a genuine attempt to overcome a background of animosity.

Jake
Posted
Posted
The fact that all those involved assisting you and your wife is very refreshing and noteworthy. I could remember my first time behind the wheel, I was quite apprehensive about using the horn. As you may know, it's SOP and you will be considered a pushover if you don't use it. Next time, I will buy the loudest truck horn for those "special occasions".We are grateful that you and family survived unharmed -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

When my wife and I were on vacation in California a few months ago, I didn't do any driving even though there were plenty of vehicles to use in our family! The traffic congestion in California is just too crazy for my taste and people in general just drive too fast for the road conditions or even in the cities! I guess I'm just getting too old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be and it scares the sh&t out of me! Here in the Philippines I drive like " The Little Old Lady from Pasadena"!th_thholysheep.gif

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Picture looks worse than it really is. There was barely enough momentum to roll the car. It was one of those slow motion feelings like sitting on an edge and a fly lands to tip you over. It is sitting in a ditch. Roof did not collapse to much. Airbags did not deploy and it even kept running while upside down! I had to turn it off.I truly believe it was an accident, Most likely I was in that sweet blind spot. My wife also agrees. Poor guy was probably scared afterwards. The police said he stopped at the station to report the accident.

post-635-0-15472200-1293952626_thumb.jpg

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Wow, What a way to start the new year!!! God thanks you are both safe.I do not think it happened to you because you are a kano. Most likely the driver was one of them who take a wheel and the world belongs to them, they are here by millions. I drive at Manila daily and i see them...I am though very interested to see how it will work with the insurance since it was a comprehansive one, you should not be charged for anything.In Mexico at Puerto Vallarta I rented a piece of S*#t VW Golf to go around, a small stone from another car made a punch on my windshield, i had to pay 150$ for it since the comprehensive insurance there covers you only above 1000$ of damage....Here in Philippines, once someone bumped my wife from the back, our car was 6 months old, his insurance paid us for fixing the bumper to their assigned shop, no hassles whatsoever, amazed!!!!Please give us the update with the insurance company.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted
Dave, I am not sure how many places in the PHL you have driven besides Cebu?
You are right. I have only driven around Cebu and Leyte and my mind tends to fill in the blanks, that is to say I let myself make the assumption that driving in other provinces is similar to here. I expect it to be different in Manila but it did not occur to me that the situation on Mindanao would be as you suggest.Now that you mention it, I have known filipinos in Cebu who come from Muslim areas of Mindanao and they do look at me strangely. Almost with a repressed hostility. It does not make a person feel comfortable but I do my best to accept that their offers of friendship are a genuine attempt to overcome a background of animosity.
Dave,I've been in many places with you and everyone looks at you strangely LOL