Australia Flooding

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The flooding in many parts of the world seem unreal to me but they are in fact happening. HERE is a news story with some videos in it showing the flooding happening in parts of Australia. My heart goes out to all those who are impacted by flood and to the many who have lost their homes and it seems quite a few who have lost their lives.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The flooding in many parts of the world seem unreal to me but they are in fact happening. HERE is a news story with some videos in it showing the flooding happening in parts of Australia. My heart goes out to all those who are impacted by flood and to the many who have lost their homes and it seems quite a few who have lost their lives.
Just to clarify Lee's post,its not the whole of Australia flooding it is the state of Queensland where I live,on the other side of Australia raging bush fires are burning. 89.gif Most people do not understand the size of Australia.The floods have been going on here for nearly 2 weeks,the flood area is as big as France and Germany combined or bigger than Texas. Whole towns and parts of city's have gone under and the clean up can not begin because the rain keeps coming which it is pouring down right now as I post this.Seven dead is just yesterdays flash flood and many still missing, I think the total of dead in floods over the past week or so would be around 40 now.Where I live in the Capital city of Brisbane is on flood alert as the water is coming down the river and already there are pockets of flooded areas,I am lucky up very high but only a few suburbs away is listed as expected to flood. A bit more on what is happening here. A search and rescue operation has begun in south-east Queensland for scores of people reported missing in devastating flash floods.Seven people are dead after flash floods yesterday hit the Darling Downs town of *Toowoomba* and several smaller townships in the Lockyer Valley.Four people died in Toowoomba, two women and a child have died at *Grantham *and nearby at *Withcott *police say nine people are missing.At least 50 people have sought refuge in a primary school at Grantham.Police say more than 40 people were rescued from rooftops by helicopter overnight.The flood threat is today expected to extend to the state's capital, *Brisbane*.The Defence Force is joining the search for scores of residents missing in the Lockyer Valley, west of Brisbane.The area was devastated yesterday afternoon when flash floods that have been likened to a tsunami swept through the region.Premier Anna Bligh says a major incident room has been set up in Brisbane to coordinate a rescue operation."All possible resources, including ADF resources, will be activated at first light tomorrow to begin further search and rescue," she said."We will be getting out at first light to continue the search for those who have been notified as missing and to continue the rescue efforts for those who have been stranded on rooftops."We've certainly had some unconfirmed reports of further missing people in the Grantham area."Ms Bligh says the latest developments have stretched emergency authorities."We've already called on helicopters from northern New South Wales and they are stationed here ready to take off at first light," she said."The scale of what is unfolding in the Lockyer Valley and again in the south-west will test our resources and we have plenty of offers of help from other states and we'll certainly call on those as we need them."She described the flash flooding at Toowoomba as a freak of nature."Mother nature has unleashed something shocking out of the Toowoomba region," she said."What we have here in Queensland is a very grim and desperate situation."Residents in the Lockyer Valley are still reeling after yesterday's devastating flood.Mayor Steve Jones says everyone is in shock."I think they're all a bit amazed at what's happened and it's really taken them by surprise, but at the end of the day they've got enormous ability to stick together," he said."They've been through many bushfires and that sort of thing and the community spirit is fantastic and they'll make it happen."Police say the Warrego Highway is closed indefinitely at the Toowoomba range and at Glenore Grove in the Lockyer Valley.The highway is also closed at the Gatton bypass.Further west at *Chinchilla* the river is expected to reach seven metres and an evacuation centre has been set up.The weather bureau's Brett Harrison says severe weather conditions are set to continue today.He says more rain is forecast for the *Darling Downs *and further north in the *Sunshine Coast *hinterland."Everything is so saturated at the moment that it doesn't take too much rain to increase the water levels on the ground at the moment, so it's going to continue until we see the upper low weakening and moving away," he said.Threat spreadsThe flood threat is expected to extend to the state's capital today.The Brisbane City Council says more than 200 homes and businesses along the river are at risk.Most of those properties are at *Rocklea*, *Albion*, *Milton* and *Auchenflower*.Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says the flood threat is real and that residents should heed the warning."We are giving you a scenario at the moment that people can actually plan on and make preparations on," he said."We hope it doesn't happen, but if it does and we didn't tell people, then they'd quite rightfully be upset." *Ipswich* Mayor Paul Pisasale says he does not expect the city's CBD will be flooded when the Bremer River peaks at noon.But he says several homes at Karalee could be swamped.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Boss Man,We're sorry to hear about this epic flooding in your area of Brisbane and the massive bush fires on theother side of Australia. Seems like Mother Nature is getting more and more pissed off not only therebut everywhere.Stay safe and dry my friend -- Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hey Boss Man,We're sorry to hear about this epic flooding in your area of Brisbane and the massive bush fires on theother side of Australia. Seems like Mother Nature is getting more and more pissed off not only therebut everywhere.Stay safe and dry my friend -- Jake
And its not over yet, the emergency signal has been activated here in Brisbane meaning hell is about to break loose.A massive storm is about to hit within the next hour, I can hear the thunder now and the rains coming down.Will let you know what happens.wt-hell.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
And its not over yet, the emergency signal has been activated here in Brisbane meaning hell is about to break loose.A massive storm is about to hit within the next hour, I can hear the thunder now and the rains coming down.Will let you know what happens.wt-hell.gif
http://www.ready.gov...akit/index.htmlThe link above is one of many that could assist you and your family plan for any type of disaster. I plan to purchase emergency kits before we take off for the Philippines, including pepper spraycannisters and other defensive weapons to protect against anarchist. Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well it appears now I may be locked in as the criss worsens here, still raining heavy too.Unstoppable tide hits BrisbaneThe Brisbane River has broken its banks with evacuations underway in the heart of the city amid fears Brisbane will see its worst flooding since the 1974 disaster.Ferry services have been shut down and rising floodwaters have cut train services north and west of the city.Some bus services to the north of Brisbane have also been cancelled.Police said roads were clogged with motorists trying to get home and city car parks have opened their boom gates, telling people to get their cars out.Office towers on Eagle Street, right on the river, are being emptied, along with businesses in Fortitude Valley.Floodwaters are creeping into the inner-city suburb of West End, where residents have been told to get to higher ground.Evacuations are also underway on Brisbane's northside at Albion and Bowen Hills.Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman is currently briefing the media.It's feared Brisbane could be about to experience its worst flood since the catastrophic 1974 event, when at least 6700 homes were partially or totally flooded in the Brisbane metropolitan area.The Wivenhoe Dam was subsequently built to protect the city. Inflows into the dam are so vast that authorities have no choice but to continue with controlled releases, exacerbating flooding problems downstream.Heavy rain was bucketing down in the city on Tuesday, with the Brisbane City Council saying 32 suburbs are at risk of flooding.The situation in Brisbane, and west at Ipswich, where evacuations are also underway, will worsen in the next two days with hide tides expected amid more rain and increased releases from Wivenhoe Dam.Premier Anna Bligh said releases from Wivenhoe were being ramped up to cope with the enormous volume of water it's holding back.She said the releases were not optional and must happen to safeguard the integrity of the dam, built to protect Brisbane after the devastating 1974 floods.The flash flooding that has torn through Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley will flow into the dam, and eventually downstream to Brisbane."Releases from Wivenhoe are not optional, there is no discretion here," the premier told reporters on Tuesday.Some residents at Ipswich were also evacuating areas close to the rising Bremer River on Tuesday."I'm told by the experts we are likely to see levels similar to the dreadful 1974 floods," Mayor Paul Pisasale said.The floods of '74 flooded 1800 homes and businesses in Ipswich, and 41 homes were washed away.On Tuesday, the Wivenhoe Dam was at 173 per cent capacity. It can take up to 200 per cent. Somerset Dam, which feeds into Wivenhoe, was at 160 per cent, the SEQ Water Grid said.It said controlled releases from Wivenhoe would need to be increased further on Tuesday."These releases are being made in consultation with the Bureau of Meteorology and local councils and aim to limit downstream impacts where possible," it said."Note, these large releases are necessary for the safe management of the dam."It said water levels in Somerset were expected to continue to rise on Tuesday and areas around Kilcoy were likely to be impacted by the rising dam levels.

Braddo
Posted
Posted

So far the water is at our door step as I speak depending on how high the tide gets tonight will depend if I get out of bed walking or swimming :(We are by far better off than thousands of other poor soles who have lost everything Mother nature is a beautiful but sometimes hard lady like some mother in laws ( Joking )Thanks every one for your thoughts:cheers:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
So far the water is at our door step as I speak depending on how high the tide gets tonight will depend if I get out of bed walking or swimming :(We are by far better off than thousands of other poor soles who have lost everything Mother nature is a beautiful but sometimes hard lady like some mother in laws ( Joking )Thanks every one for your thoughts:cheers:
What suburb are you mate?I will be spared as I'm up high but for the rest this is going to be worse than the 1974 floods which devastated the city.Wish you luck. cheersty.gif

Braddo
Posted
Posted

Hi Boss Man,We are at Carseldine Nth Side brisbane Beams road just down from Gympie road problem is we have a normally small creek just up the road but with all the water and when combined with a high tide it all banks upJust before Xmas my wifes car was parked in the street and that night heavy rain with a high tide water went up to the doors and into her car took a week to clean and dry outNormally we are fine here but like many suburbs around Brissy at this time no one is really safe from the rising waterHow are you faring out?Take CareBraddo

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hi Boss Man,We are at Carseldine Nth Side brisbane Beams road just down from Gympie road problem is we have a normally small creek just up the road but with all the water and when combined with a high tide it all banks upJust before Xmas my wifes car was parked in the street and that night heavy rain with a high tide water went up to the doors and into her car took a week to clean and dry outNormally we are fine here but like many suburbs around Brissy at this time no one is really safe from the rising waterHow are you faring out?Take CareBraddo
I'm at St Lucia,I expect that I might be locked in by Thursday but as I said, I am up very high so I don't expect any problems except maybe loose power.