Foreigners Can Own Condos But Not Land

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Foreigners can own condos in their own name but they cannot own land so it often ends up in their Filipina wife's or gf names. I think putting anything in your wife or gf's name might be a bad move until you really know them for years and even then, families can get into it and cause problems. With that said, our condos are in both our names and I trust my wife 100% and she handles the bills and money in the Philippines and I usually deal with the stuff in the US.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Good points Lee ...... also in the list of foreign owned dwellings is townhouses as you do not own the property just the house as in the condo's ....... townhouses might be better for those that don't like anything above 2 stories .... although I have seen 3 story townhouses ........Also leasing land might be a good way to go as I believe I read where one can lease for 50 years ..... but if you have kids involved and want to leave them something that won't work ...... at my age and Julie's 50 years is more than enough and as kids are not involved ......... a caution when leasing is being sure the lease will be valid should the property change hands such as the death of the previous owner ..... a lawyer should be consulted but just remember things are subject to change here in the Phils ......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Good points Lee ...... also in the list of foreign owned dwellings is townhouses as you do not own the property just the house as in the condo's ....... townhouses might be better for those that don't like anything above 2 stories .... although I have seen 3 story townhouses ........Also leasing land might be a good way to go as I believe I read where one can lease for 50 years ..... but if you have kids involved and want to leave them something that won't work ...... at my age and Julie's 50 years is more than enough and as kids are not involved ......... a caution when leasing is being sure the lease will be valid should the property change hands such as the death of the previous owner ..... a lawyer should be consulted but just remember things are subject to change here in the Phils ......
Condos are definitely not for everyone and a lot of people have to have a yard with a place to plant a garden and room for a dog or chickens or both, so condo living is not the way to go for them, but the security in a condo is another great point for us round eyes and our wife's family or anyone else not being able to surprise visit us is another. :as-if: Another point to think of is that I want to leave something for my wife when I am gone and with the condos, she will always have something to live in or rent out to others for income. Of course there are other ways such as insurance etc.I also looked at townhouses but climbing the stairs everyday was not for me now and I know it is only going to get harder as I get older. One we looked at was beautiful but the master BR or largest room was on the top floor and the CR was on the floor below. SugarwareZ-002.gif I could just see me getting up in the middle of the night SugarwareZ-046.gif and trying to walk down the stairs to the CR. SugarwareZ-002.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Another point to think of is that I want to leave something for my wife when I am gone and with the condos, she will always have something to live in or rent out to others for income. Of course there are other ways such as insurance etc.I also looked at townhouses but climbing the stairs everyday was not for me now and I know it is only going to get harder as I get older. One we looked at was beautiful but the master BR or largest room was on the top floor and the CR was on the floor below. SugarwareZ-002.gif I could just see me getting up in the middle of the night SugarwareZ-046.gif and trying to walk down the stairs to the CR. SugarwareZ-002.gifCan't you just open a window? :as-if: Tom

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yes Tom, I could have just opened a window on those nights when I woke up with a woody but on other nights some of it might have ended up on my wall :as-if: :lol: but on the nights I woke up with a woody, it might have ended up a few houses away. :lol:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

on those nights when I woke up with a woodyHummmmmm .... that should not be a problem ...... I mean once every 6 months is no BIG deal ......... SugarwareZ-007.gifSugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Hey I can go back to the other forum to get abused. :as-if: :lol: :lol:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK ...... tell me what it is like ....... SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

No Lee, I'm quite happy to abuse you hrer SugarwareZ-011.gif