What Are Forums Good For

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

My reason to use the forumIs to get a better understanding of what are the other problems and issues that people have so at least I can understand (relate too)on how to deal/cope with my own,So in this instance , the forum is a way to solve,understand issues to that you/I can live a more peaceful life or allowing oneself to cope , :cheersty:

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wish the internet and forums had been around when i first began my association with the Philippines, it might of saved me from doing some dumb things. Since 1986 i have learned one hell of a lot and i am still learning.I have benefitted from this forum and i hope i can also share some of my knowledge to help others.Not everyone thinks the same, so we all need to express our own POV for if we all agreed on everything..................it'd be pretty dull wouldn't it.This is not my first forum but it is certainly THE BEST and i have no intention of going anywhere else, unless i get evicted ofcourse. :oI am not real computer savy but it's funny how you get to know if someone is fairdinkum or not simply by what they write. I've been on previous forums where there are just so many smart arse people who pretend they know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING.Some of them, i'm sure just google a subject and copy it out as if it's their words.I don't see that happening here. I don't have the time to give just yet but probably when we get settled in RP i might just annoy the crap out of ya :cheersty:

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 4

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was young and taking my first steps out into the world, I didn't use forums...why? Well because they didn't exist. Perhaps the world wasn't as bad then as I never got into any trouble. That could have been due to the fact that I wasn't caught hehehe. Now at my prime age of 50, I consider a GOOD forum indispensable when venturing out into unknown territory that is known to be dangerous in places. Why get ripped off when someone can alert you to the latest scams. The list goes on and onThanks guys for being and continuing to be a great help and source of information.Cheers,Fred

Edited by wandibushman
  • Like 5

Garpo
Posted
Posted

While at times it seems that forums are there only for people to argue, disagree, and be rude to each other, most of the time they are a great asset and have proved very helpful to me before, during, and after my move to the Philippines. Once we understand that it is a place for many different opinions and personalities then we can understand the problems that can and do happen on every forum. How those problems are dealt with is what separates the good forums from the bad.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. . . I've been on previous forums where there are just so many smart arse people who pretend they know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING.Some of them, i'm sure just google a subject and copy it out as if it's their words.I don't see that happening here.
That is part of what bothers me about some people. Often those who 'pretend' to know everything about everything are what we used to call a Jack of all trades and a master of none. They have lots to contribute on every subject but should learn to shut up when expert opinions are called for.Some of the people who copy and paste from Google need to learn that the rest of us are not stupid and we can all do the same search, copy, paste that they just did. Others use Google as a tool. Perhaps they had an experience that is best described or verified from a web page that they need to search for and then copy and paste from. I wish there were more of that kind because often I read people's opinions stated as facts with nothing to back them up. I sometimes wonder if these people are merely legends in their own minds when there is nothing to back up their statements.
  • Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Copying and pasting from any website isn't all bad, especially all of these immigration rules, laws, Republic Acts, memorandums and or revisions that seem to be out of date and the most current ones will surely help those not in the know as to not provide old or bad information that may affect someone's decision making on important matters concerning immigration or whatever! So, when one makes a statement of fact, it's usually good to back it up with a reliable source or link to give it some creditably! There's tons of information on the internet and doing an extensive search for the current and up to date info or version is sometimes a difficult task to do! So be careful whatever info anyone copys and paste within their post, make sure it's the most current and up to date info! There are sometimes so many "know it alls" on forums that they think their words, comments and or remarks are finite or without errors!

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Copying and pasting from any website isn't all bad, especially all of these immigration rules, laws, Republic Acts, memorandums and or revisions that seem to be out of date and the most current ones will surely help those not in the know as to not provide old or bad information that may affect someone's decision making on important matters concerning immigration or whatever! So, when one makes a statement of fact, it's usually good to back it up with a reliable source or link to give it some creditably! There's tons of information on the internet and doing an extensive search for the current and up to date info or version is sometimes a difficult task to do! So be careful whatever info anyone copys and paste within their post, make sure it's the most current and up to date info! There are sometimes so many "know it alls" on forums that they think their words, comments and or remarks are finite or without errors!
I got no problem with the "copy and paste" info you're talking about Art.You have helped me several times with info you've put up about Balikbayan stamp rules and i thank you for it.Actually i wish i could do things like that myself sometimes but i'm a bit of a computer dummy and don't know how to do it!What really annoys me are the people that will google a particular subject (lets say someone has asked a gardening question for example).They find out all they can fast from the internet and then type out the phrases as if it's comming from their own head and not from mr google. All of a sudden these arseholes are now gardening experts.Is it really possible for one guy to know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING....... i doubt it. Thankfully i see no evidence of that on this forum but i do see a core group of genuine knowedgeable people who are willing to help, teach and learn from eachother and for me, that's what a good forum is all about. :541: Edited by Bundy
  • Like 4

Mugs
Posted
Posted

to learn from.

• Like 1