What Do I Miss Most?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I miss a good big "American breakfast" at the (IHOP) International House of Pancakes up and down the coast of California! AddEmoticons04230.gif We have a local Filipino "House of Pancakes" just across the street from where we live and also in most SM malls, but it's nowhere close to my favorite IHOP restaurant! SugarwareZ-034.gifI also miss fresh home made biscuits with gravy and (SOS) "Sh&t On A Shingle" aka "chipped cream beef on toast" when I was in the military many yrs ago! I've found those best, in some of the hole in the wall trucker's stops along Hwy 101 and Inter State 5 up and down the coast of California!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Some of the things that I often miss while in the Cebu or Mindanao is, a good hamburger, a good hot dog with real cooked onions, some decent steak (french) fries, a good steak, good baby back ribs and especially a good salad bar. They do have some of those in Manila at Outback Steak House and they have some decent of those in Cebu but IMO no where near as good as in the states. Oh and I forgot, Carvel ice creme and ice creme cakes, mmmmmmm good. 7_4_17[1].gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
I miss a good big "American breakfast" at the (IHOP) International House of Pancakes up and down the coast of California! AddEmoticons04230.gif We have a local Filipino "House of Pancakes" just across the street from where we live and also in most SM malls, but it's nowhere close to my favorite IHOP restaurant! SugarwareZ-034.gifI also miss fresh home made biscuits with gravy and (SOS) "Sh&t On A Shingle" aka "chipped cream beef on toast" when I was in the military many yrs ago! I've found those best, in some of the hole in the wall trucker's stops along Hwy 101 and Inter State 5 up and down the coast of California!
I had the pleasure of finally meeting Art, his wife Jho, brother Ray and Marie at our local IHOP in southern California last summer.Excellent breakfast and good times talking about our early FOB (fresh of the boat) days in the 50's and 60's. Boy, we've come a long way my friend. Now, I'm waiting to join my SS buddy soon, so that we could pig out on lechon, pusit adobo, Magnolia ice cream and cold pitchers of MoJo's.Ooh yeah -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

th_thholysheep.gifEven though I'm Filipino, I'm not crazy about all of the Filipino cuisine that's here to be had! I only have a few favorite Filipino dishes that I like, kare-kare, Filipino style BBQ spare ribs and chicken. I'm more of a meat and potatoes, seafood type of person and killer Texas style BBQs! I do enjoy Thai food though, I love Phat Thai and Lad Na stir fried noodles with either beef or shrimp, but there's none around here where we live! Luckily my wife knows how to make it in her imitation kind of way and it's close!

acman
Posted
Posted

The main thing i miss when in mindanao is my Dr peppers! lol

• 3 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
The main thing i miss when in mindanao is my Dr peppers! lol
there is Dr Peppers here in the phil. you must look for them, used to have some at Pricesmart now known as S&R membership shopping.also landmark has had them in the past,yes Dr.Peppers,, if I had a choice between having a Dr Pepper or having XXX. i would chose Dr Pepper,,, thats bad but I too miss my Dr.Pepper. :th_goodidea:

Keg
Posted
Posted

its no ihop but seattle best at ayalla is as close to ihop u can get around here

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I miss a good USDA thick, tender and juicy steak of any kind (baby back ribs will do it also) with a sweet 1to2 lb Main lobster! Cheese fondue, sour dough bread and a Caesar salad with blue cheese dressing! 551.gifth_thbarbaque.gifemostrongbow.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
I miss a good USDA thick, tender and juicy steak of any kind (baby back ribs will do it also) with a sweet 1to2 lb Main lobster! Cheese fondue, sour dough bread and a Caesar salad with blue cheese dressing! 551.gifth_thbarbaque.gifemostrongbow.gif
Well, still stuck in SoCal -- I would like to list some delectable food items from the Philippines:BBQ Mystery Meat on a stick (taste much better when 3 sheets to the wind)Special Halo-Halo (crush ice with sugary fruits and ice cream) Adobong Pusit, Chicken or PorkHot Pandesal with imported butterSeafood salad Kilawin (semi cooked in vinegar, sliced garlic, onions, tomatoes)Magnolia Ice Cream, Ube flavorLechon over a fire pit with roasted pig skin oozing with heart stopping fatCold San Magoo and cold pitchers of MoJoRespectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
deleted my inappropriate comments

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe that I was reincarnated into a Filipino without the Filipino taste buds and in my previous life, I was your typical Western American "pizza, meat and potato kind of guy" and a "fast food junky" in my youth! SugarwareZ-034.gifwt-hell.gifwhy-me.gifmocking.gif I didn't want to be a Filipino! I don't like balut, rice or fish heads! Yak! So, I turn into a Fil/Am having both worlds without the taste buds of your average Filipino! 7_4_17[1].gifmocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro