Corruption Good Or Bad How Has It Affected You?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Corruption is a fact of life in Philippines. In your own dealing how has it affected you?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Corruption enabled me to register the used car I bought when it was discovered that somebody had smuggled it into the country a dozen years ago without paying duty. But, maybe it is the corruption that screwed me out of the money I paid to 'fix' it when it never really needed fixing. I'll never know.As you can see, I picked a fairly neutral example. That is because the number one rule about corruption is you never talk about corruption and the number 2 rule is corruption does not exist. The number 3 rule is: if you disagree see rule 1.

No name
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I don't think people are going to be rushing to talk about their personal experiences with corruption.Olds, you started it. Tell us yours :lol:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Corruption is a fact of life in Philippines. In your own dealing how has it affected you?
Corruption is everywhere in the whole world but many times in the Philippines I have found that it is down to an art.I am not sure if one would call this corruption or not 89.gif but one time when arriving in Manila and going to catch another flight, the security person searched my carryon while a female security person asked me questions. Well the two must have been in cahoots :lol: because when they were done I headed to catch my flight, only to be called back to tell me that I had forgot my pants. ohmy.gif Seems they were good at slight of hand and actually stole a pair on new blue jeans out of my carryon case and I guess when they saw it was too big for any of them, laugh.gif I wear a 36 waist, they called me back. The male handed me back the pants, while the female told me that I should tip the guy for finding my pants, yeah right finding them, sad.gif so rather than start an argument and possible get deported or arrested I gave the guy a US one dollar bill (I had pesos on me) so it would be more trouble than it was worth to him because he would then have to go to a money changer to cash it, in order for them to split it, or maybe they could cut it in half and keep it as a souvenir of how he ripped off a Kano. :lol: I am not sure who got the better part of that deal, me or them. biggrin.gif Next many years ago when leaving from Cagayan de Oro airport (Lumbia) the machines were not working to xray the luggage so they were asking everyone to open each piece of carry on, or buy cashews and they let you pass right through. Definitely gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing all the others that were eating cashews in the waiting area had done the same thing we did. SugarwareZ-034.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yeah, I don't think people are going to be rushing to talk about their personal experiences with corruption.Olds, you started it. Tell us yours :lol:
Fair enough Rusty not much to tell.My wife and I visit once a year or so we don’t live full time in country so our experiences maybe different than those who live in Philippines full time. When Ann and I decided to get married because I was divorced and Protestant that presented a problem getting a Mass wedding and some of the paperwork done in a timely manor. So we fixed the ten day intention to wed posting with the mayor of Talisay for 3000 peso and provided the Archbishop of Cebu City with a 6000 payment to contact “someone” to deal with the fact that I was not Catholic or Divorced. I t seems to me there was something else we needed taken care of but I don’t remember after all these years.Ann and I were provided with a back dated posting at the Mayors office and had a full Mass wedding in the Archbishop of Cebu palace chapel March. Edited by Mr. Lee
Exact date removed

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think this is a good topic but be aware not to post names, dates or anything that could bite you on the bum one day.One could use an example of this happened to some one I know even if it was you as then there is no proof of who you are talking about.We never know who reads forums or who could use something you say against you one day. Policeman.gif

No name
Posted
Posted
Fair enough Rusty not much to tell.My wife and I visit once a year or so we don’t live full time in country so our experiences maybe different than those who live in Philippines full time. When Ann and I decided to get married because I was divorced and Protestant that presented a problem getting a Mass wedding and some of the paperwork done in a timely manor. So we fixed the ten day intention to wed posting with the mayor of Talisay for 3000 peso and provided the Archbishop of Cebu City with a 6000 payment to contact “someone” to deal with the fact that I was not Catholic or Divorced. I t seems to me there was something else we needed taken care of but I don’t remember after all these years.Ann and I were provided with a back dated posting at the Mayors office and had a full Mass wedding in the Archbishop of Cebu palace chapel March.
Great info dude but no way I would admit that not divorced part it reads as still married. :lol: No judgement on my part, just wouldn't admit it. :)

No name
Posted
Posted

I have been charged custom duties that were not due.It happened several times.I started using Johnny Air Cargo to ship things here and no problem since then.That's all I will admit too.Honestly though, I've not seen as much of it as I expected too.Sometimes, I wish they would say, give me P1000 and I'll take care of it. I've seen it though, as simple as getting a place in line at one of the governmental agencies. P1000 got them moved to the front of the line.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Fair enough Rusty not much to tell.My wife and I visit once a year or so we don’t live full time in country so our experiences maybe different than those who live in Philippines full time. When Ann and I decided to get married because I was divorced and Protestant that presented a problem getting a Mass wedding and some of the paperwork done in a timely manor. So we fixed the ten day intention to wed posting with the mayor of Talisay for 3000 peso and provided the Archbishop of Cebu City with a 6000 payment to contact “someone” to deal with the fact that I was not Catholic or Divorced. I t seems to me there was something else we needed taken care of but I don’t remember after all these years.Ann and I were provided with a back dated posting at the Mayors office and had a full Mass wedding in the Archbishop of Cebu palace chapel March.
Great info dude but no way I would admit that not divorced part it reads as still married. :lol: No judgement on my part, just wouldn't admit it. :)
Hmmmm.... you sayin maybe I'm still single? Rusty, you the MAN!

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine has a saying....."I like a corrupt system as long as I can afford to buy my way through it."