The Cars We Drove In The 50's & 60's

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

While this is not a youtube, it is a neat video copulation compilation of cars of yesteryear. This is a trip down memory lane for me, so I thought some of you might also enjoy it. I remember 1/4 mile drag racing and a car club I belonged to called "The Brothers" whose plate read "If I don't get you then my brother will" and the fastest car had the title of Big Brother. It was neat back in those days for many of us from the US, and I often wondered if people from other countries listened to our music of that time, and what they thought of it? and what type of cars they drove? So guys if you come from a country besides the US, could you please tell me if any of the songs of our times were played in your country? and what people thought of them? and what type of cars were popular in your country during that time? Did your country go through a hot rod time, like we did in the US? Someone did an awesome job putting this together and with sound to boot. At the very end of the video you'll hear the song ' Thunder Road ' sung by the star of the movie for which it was the theme! Not uncommon except this is the one and only song ever recorded, for publication, sung by Robert Mitchum!Cars we drove in the 50's and 60's. Click on line below http://cruzintheaven...CarsWeDrove.htm

Edited by Mr. Lee
fix error in spelling due to brain fart :)

Jake
Posted
Posted

Immediately brought back some nostalgic and fun memories. Remember those drive-ins with actual speakers on the post and all the back seat adventures? A lot of windows steamed up back in those days. My favorite song was "Little Deuce Coupe" bythe Beach Boys. Good vibrations Lee, thank you sir -- JakePS -- I didn't know cars copulate....."it is a neat video copulation of cars of yesteryear"

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Immediately brought back some nostalgic and fun memories. Remember those drive-ins with actual speakers on the post and all the back seat adventures? A lot of windows steamed up back in those days. My favorite song was "Little Deuce Coupe" bythe Beach Boys. Good vibrations Lee, thank you sir -- JakePS -- I didn't know cars copulate....."it is a neat video copulation of cars of yesteryear"
As I am sure you all know it was supposed to be compilation but either the spell checker, my poor typing or my pea brain screwed up somewhere along the line SugarwareZ-034.gif or maybe I was thinking of all my back and front seat adventures in some of my cars back in those days, yup parking was fun in the driveins or in the parks. devil.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I don't think any of us was old enough to drive in the 50s or early 60s unless you're now in your 70s! Those 50 and 60 cars trickled down into the mid 60s when I was in high school when my hormones was just beginning to sizzle when cars, girls, Motown and Americana music was in on the West coast! The music I can identify with was The Four Tops, Mary Wells, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gay, Fats Domino, Martha and The Vandellas, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Connie Francis, Bobby Rydel, The Beach Boys and lots of others that just don't come to mind at the moment! My first hand me down vehicle from my father was a 1957 Chevrolet Belair 2 door hard top, what a nice muscle car to drive when I just graduated from high school in 1966, a year later, Nov 1st, 1967 I joined the military, the U.S. Air Force that is to avoid the draft during the Vietnam Crisis! My high school years just came and went at a bat of an eye and I was on my own to discover the world at age 18, that's when the real fun began, because my first military overseas tour was in the Philippines at Clark Air Base in Aug of 1968!

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

in the early 70s, in olongapo, some of the locals had AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS. bebot umali had a gto, and a mach,1. opoy lim had his roadrunner and superbird, bobby tan had a buick gran sport, stage 2. there were a few amc javilins, and a ford pinto with a 302.cid stuffed in it. i have a 69 merc. cyclone gt. and my dad had his boattail riviera, with a 455cid. wildcat engine. as for car clubs? i dont think so, everyone would just show up and drink beer, eat balut, and see who could piss into the wind longer. and music? well thatsanother story. as long as it was american rock and roll, and rebelious,it was the tunes in GAPO.there was another side of olongapo where the disco duck thing happened, but we stayed out of there.im pretty sure those old muscle cars are still hybernating under cover,in someones garage waiting to raise hell again some day.:) tanks ej.

Jake
Posted
Posted

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/2-1971-1973-buick-riviera.jpg&imgrefurl=http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1971-1973-buick-riviera.htm/printable&usg=__HMkVxm3TAQT18QUjN0FDougn8So=&h=215&w=400&sz=23&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=BI-LKnSgjap3rM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=209&ei=lUNDTYu3H432tgPcyYmjCg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dboattail%2Briviera%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D635%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=766&vpy=382&dur=8223&hovh=164&hovw=306&tx=148&ty=97&oei=lUNDTYu3H432tgPcyYmjCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

in the early 70s, in olongapo, some of the locals had AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS. bebot umali had a gto, and a mach,1. opoy lim had his roadrunner and superbird, bobby tan had a buick gran sport, stage 2. there were a few amc javilins, and a ford pinto with a 302.cid stuffed in it. i have a 69 merc. cyclone gt. and my dad had his boattail riviera, with a 455cid. wildcat engine. as for car clubs? i dont think so, everyone would just show up and drink beer, eat balut, and see who could piss into the wind longer. and music? well thatsanother story. as long as it was american rock and roll, and rebelious,it was the tunes in GAPO.there was another side of olongapo where the disco duck thing happened, but we stayed out of there.im pretty sure those old muscle cars are still hybernating under cover,in someones garage waiting to raise hell again some day.:yes: tanks ej.
Hey EJ,Your father must have been a cool dude of PO City. I wonder if you guys ran around with the Gordons back in those days?Love that car -- http://www.google.co...1t:429,r:13,s:0Jake

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

hey jake. actually the GORDON clan have been running olongapo for many years now.our family stayed away from political people. as for dads RIV. its long gone now. last i heard he had a buick electra 225. when he passed on. everything that came in and out of subic, passed thru his office, NSD.term 1010. i used to watch them unload POV,s from APL. SEALAND and CHINA BEAR LINES. ships,anyway my car , the 69 mercury CYCLONE GT. is still in the house garage where i left it. what ive been told ,was that nobody ever touched it or even took off the cover, since i left in 75. so i am eager to get home next month and find out if the battery is still good...:yes: wosautos121.gifwosautos121.gif tanks ej.

Jake
Posted
Posted
hey jake. actually the GORDON clan have been running olongapo for many years now.our family stayed away from political people. as for dads RIV. its long gone now. last i heard he had a buick electra 225. when he passed on. everything that came in and out of subic, passed thru his office, NSD.term 1010. i used to watch them unload POV,s from APL. SEALAND and CHINA BEAR LINES. ships,anyway my car , the 69 mercury CYCLONE GT. is still in the house garage where i left it. what ive been told ,was that nobody ever touched it or even took off the cover, since i left in 75. so i am eager to get home next month and find out if the battery is still good...:SugarwareZ-034: wosautos121.gifwosautos121.gif tanks ej.
Dang EJ, a 69 Mercury Cyclone GT? Where the hell did you guys drag race? Was it the airstrip at Cubi PT?I hope your baby is still in good shape. I wouldn't mind riding shot gun with you.Take care -- Jake

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

well im tender years my first car was a 79 camero z28 i pampered that thing and it was in bad shape but like a good nurse i tried to help it get back on its feet ( or wheels LOL ) but it was to no avail :( had to sell it but best friend had a 76 custom corvette and boy did we get looks driving around :SugarwareZ-034: especial by the cops we even had a cop pull us over just to get a better look at it and as he was leaving he said nice car guys , i have fond memories of my fathers car when i was a kid , it was a 71-72 NOVA SS canery yellow with 2 black stripes on the hood boy was a a beautiful car we used to own a 67 chevelle as well at one time but it was too far gone to fix up ! im not too fond of the newer cars these days but i have to admit i really like the look of the new camero and dodge charger with a hemi in it !! :) ( my friends car ) as for the music that we lisented to at the time it was what ever was trendy but acdc for sure !!! :) i have to stop now im getting teary eyed hahahaOldUgly&Cranky

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the mid 70s, I restored two identical 1966 Ford Mustangs with 289 c.i. engines with automatic transmissions, they were both in mint condition! I had to sell them both since it was only a hobby of mine to buy, restore and resell for profit, at least a 100% to 300% profit due to the nature of their authenticity and the serial numbers all matched on the vehicles which some can go for from $15,000 to $30,000 depending on body styles and year! post-682-0-91096400-1296290751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fil/AmArt