Sugar Ray Leonard (Inspector?)

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

This is for you Inspecta....I've been trying to get familiar with old boxing matches over the last couple years and seen some great fights on Youtube and torrent sites, so last night I saw Leonard Vs Hagler finally. I've already seen both Sugar VS Duran fights. This was an amazing fight. I heard before I watched it that a lot of people feel Ray stole the first few rounds and Marvin couldn't dig himself out of the hole, so that was what I was expecting: early for Ray; late for Marv. I understand it too, except I don't think Marv gave the early rounds away. I can see Ray winning them, but they were competitive, and if a judge likes an aggressive fighter, they would go to Marvelous. He clearly landed more shots, but Ray stole the spotlight on OCCASSION. Anyways, halfway through the fight and into the 9th I'm thinking this is clearly a Hagler fight, even though it's close, but in the championship rounds I couldn't believe my eyes. Sugar was sticking his chin out repeatedly, taking shots and slipping shots and doing it again. When the pressure got to much, he would flurry back, and so would Haggler. It was an amazing fight. Beautiful! Both guys fought their butts off, and it came down to style: quantity verses quality. But Ray was a true entertainer, like Anderson Silva with Manny's zeal. Anyways, as the boxer you are, and a guy who can appreciate the era.... whaddaya think? I loved that fight. NO respect lost for Hagler, and it only solidified the respect people give Ray. When you think he's running, he's pounding.... Straight right after straight right, with no guard up. Crazy. I'm drunk... that's clear. I hope this doesn't annoy anyone too much.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
This is for you Inspecta....I've been trying to get familiar with old boxing matches over the last couple years and seen some great fights on Youtube and torrent sites, so last night I saw Leonard Vs Hagler finally. I've already seen both Sugar VS Duran fights. This was an amazing fight. I heard before I watched it that a lot of people feel Ray stole the first few rounds and Marvin couldn't dig himself out of the hole, so that was what I was expecting: early for Ray; late for Marv. I understand it too, except I don't think Marv gave the early rounds away. I can see Ray winning them, but they were competitive, and if a judge likes an aggressive fighter, they would go to Marvelous. He clearly landed more shots, but Ray stole the spotlight on OCCASSION. Anyways, halfway through the fight and into the 9th I'm thinking this is clearly a Hagler fight, even though it's close, but in the championship rounds I couldn't believe my eyes. Sugar was sticking his chin out repeatedly, taking shots and slipping shots and doing it again. When the pressure got to much, he would flurry back, and so would Haggler. It was an amazing fight. Beautiful! Both guys fought their butts off, and it came down to style: quantity verses quality. But Ray was a true entertainer, like Anderson Silva with Manny's zeal. Anyways, as the boxer you are, and a guy who can appreciate the era.... whaddaya think? I loved that fight. NO respect lost for Hagler, and it only solidified the respect people give Ray. When you think he's running, he's pounding.... Straight right after straight right, with no guard up. Crazy. I'm drunk... that's clear. I hope this doesn't annoy anyone too much.
Well, I'm a bit old...um, older, and would not call myself a "boxer"...hahaha, my GF could kick my ass if she wanted. Well, only because I never hit a woman...but we have wrestled a bit, and she pinned me easily...oh, I wanted her to. :dance:Damn...anyway, the best fights I thought Leonard had was the classic Hearns, and the best Hagler, also vs Hearns, simply for what I call the greatest round ever in boxing.
Enjoy! Battle of the will! :yes:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the clip and bringing back memories of that great 1st round, arguably the best ever. That was the golden age of boxing. I always respected Hagler, he was out-slicked in the Leonard fight, Leonard got a bunch of concessions like a bigger ring so he could run away as needed. He was so disgusted after the decision he quit boxing, moved to Italy and became an actor. Got rich and got out, good for him.

oldutot
Posted
Posted
I think the next UFC fight will be epic. Andersen Silva vs. Vitor Belfort, Vitor can throw a punch.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I think the next UFC fight will be epic. Andersen Silva vs. Vitor Belfort, Vitor can throw a punch.
That card is stacked! Superbowl weekend too! :SugarwareZ-034:

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I wasn't able to pay attention to the UFC lately because of the Philippines (busy and slow internet), but can get back into it now. I watched Leonard vs Hearns first fight just now. I've tried to watch it a lot of times before, but never got passed the early rounds. Something always came up. As someone not living in the magic of the moment, and already knew the result, a lot of the fight was boring! lol... I can imagine if you were there at the time, it would've been much more intriguing. Still, Leonard did nothing for most of the fight, except for the sixth and seventh rounds, and then came out on fire in rounds 13 and 14. He's like a master poker player, waiting and waiting and studying his opposnent, trying to throw him off a bit, and then pounces like a ton of bricks. The best was when he hit Hearns with a left that sent him back, and Leonard raised his arms in victory before going in for the kill. I couldn't believe this guy. I wish I was there in the moment.

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)
I wasn't able to pay attention to the UFC lately because of the Philippines (busy and slow internet), but can get back into it now. I watched Leonard vs Hearns first fight just now. I've tried to watch it a lot of times before, but never got passed the early rounds. Something always came up. As someone not living in the magic of the moment, and already knew the result, a lot of the fight was boring! lol... I can imagine if you were there at the time, it would've been much more intriguing. Still, Leonard did nothing for most of the fight, except for the sixth and seventh rounds, and then came out on fire in rounds 13 and 14. He's like a master poker player, waiting and waiting and studying his opposnent, trying to throw him off a bit, and then pounces like a ton of bricks. The best was when he hit Hearns with a left that sent him back, and Leonard raised his arms in victory before going in for the kill. I couldn't believe this guy. I wish I was there in the moment.
another great fighter back then was Roberto Duran.. the fists of stone Edited by oldutot

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

another great fighter back then was Roberto Duran.. the fists of stoneThe amazing thing is I've heard HBO analysts not only comparing Manny to these guys, but saying they think he could take a Duran or a Leonard. I'm not going to say he couldn't either, but we'll have to see how he does against Mayweather before we have a better idea.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
There was a devastating punch to the liver that completely turned the fight around, I think that's the one you're referring to. Really took Hearn's legs away. I never liked Leonard because I felt he was an Ali imitator and he was a master manipulator just as Ali was. I was in my 30s when all these great fights happened. Shame Manny couldn't have faced the calibre of Leonard, Hearns, Hager, "Manos de Piedra" (Duran).

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
There was a devastating punch to the liver that completely turned the fight around, I think that's the one you're referring to. Really took Hearn's legs away. I never liked Leonard because I felt he was an Ali imitator and he was a master manipulator just as Ali was. I was in my 30s when all these great fights happened. Shame Manny couldn't have faced the calibre of Leonard, Hearns, Hager, "Manos de Piedra" (Duran).
He was attacking the body a lot and then going upstairs. The one I"m talking about is well after the turn, when it was just a matter of time... but i couldn't believe a guy would raise his hands in victory in the middle of a surge... AND THEN DO IT!I can see why peope would hate him for his cockiness. I hate Mayweather's arrogance, but it's not the same. Leonard was a fighter, too.... and Floyd can be, but chooses not to be. One thing I don't doubt on Manny, above all else, is his chin. You see how he gets in these fights with bigger guys, Cotto being the best example, and invites the punishment, only to respond a notch above. Freddie's telling him to stay off the ropes the WHOLE TIME in training camp, and where does he camp out for good portions of the first half of the fight? The ropes. Takes some monster shots, in particular a body blow, upper cut, and claps his gloves together for more. He did the same thing when Margarito almostfloored him with that 6th round liver shot... clapped his gloves together WHILE STILL GETTING HIS LEGS BACK!! He was doing the same thing for years in the lighter weights, taking hard punishment, and then just clapping those gloves for more. It's the same thing I've seen Leonard doing the last few days, taking punishment only to stick his chin out for more! I see the Ali imitator comparison as legit, but in a good way. He could back it up. I guess gotta start watching some Ali fights now. I've always avoided them for whatever reason. Either they're too old and the quality is not good... or they're late in his career when he's struggling. Nevertheless, the show must go on. I really wish there were quality vids of Sugar Ray Robinson. I saw a documentary on him, and the few black and white clips they showed of him in his prime, he was killing people with monster punches. Onto the other Sugar of our modern era, Sugar Rashad Evans! I love him, too. When he was on the Ultimate Fighter season 2, coaches and fighters were hating on him for "showboating".... but I just thought those moves were legit feints that Matt Hughes couldn't comprehend or accept. He was a humble guy between fights at least. I see how people would say he was boring. For a while he was a lot like a lay and pray type of fighter. He got a few nice KO's, and became more of a puncher for a few fights until Machida lit him up. The thing about him having a glass jaw is he also has great recovery time. Machida knocked him out like three times on his feet before he was actually done. He kept waking up and getting knocked out all over again within about 10 seconds. Then he came out against Thiago Alves renewed as a wrestler, but almost gets KO'd again, recovers fast and wins the fight. And again, with Rampage, more of a wrestler, almost gets KO'd by that knee, but recovered and won. He keeps almost getting KO'd, but keeps waking up and winning the fight, aside from that one with Machida. They should have a rematch, now that he's back to wrestling. People hate him, but I love him. Anyways.... it's a good time to be a fight fan.