Balikbayan Visa Privilege

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those who are married to Filipina's or Filipinos, or returning Filipino citizens, upon entry to the Philippines you are given a stamp in your passport BB which means balikbayan visa and you can stay a year at a time without any other visas. Be sure to ask the immigration person upon arrival for it and have a marriage license if both last names are not the same, or just to be safe.Edited to make Paul happy, Balikbayan Visa Privilege.

Edited by Mr. Lee

paul
Posted
Posted

Hi Lee,Unfortunately, this is a mistake that many people make. A Balikbayan "stamp" is not a visa, but a privilege for those entering the country (returning balikbayans or those married to Filipino Nationals), thus allowing them a one-year stay without having to pay any fees while doing so.HTH

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee,Unfortunately, this is a mistake that many people make. A Balikbayan "stamp" is not a visa, but a privilege for those entering the country (returning balikbayans or those married to Filipino Nationals), thus allowing them a one-year stay without having to pay any fees while doing so.HTH
Paul, I know that it is not really a visa, per say but the govt themselves call it a Balikbayan Visa Privilege. Here is the link. (I hope this is OK for me to post? I would sure hate to get banned :as-if: )http://us.rpembassy.net/?p=8

paul
Posted
Posted

Hi Lee,But, that isn't what you stated:

For those who are married to Filipina's or Filipinos, or returning Filipino citizens, upon entry to the Philippines you are given a stamp in your passport BB which means balikbayan visa and you can stay a year at a time without any other visas. Be sure to ask the immigration person upon arrival for it and have a marriage license if both last names are not the same, or just to be safe.
I just wanted to make the correction, as it is a common mistake made when people post information regarding the various visas offered by the Philippines.No harm, no foul, man.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Paul, I think we are talking semantics here. Balikbayan visa privildege is a visa since no other visa is needed for people who are married to returning Filipino's. Definition of visa http://www.thefreedictionary.com/visa An official authorization appended to a passport, permitting entry into and travel within a particular country or region 1. To endorse or ratify (a passport).2. To give a visa to. visa Nounan official stamp in a passport permitting its holder to travel into or through the country of the government issuing it [Latin: things seen] Appended http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appended 1 : attach , affix 2 : to add as a supplement

paul
Posted
Posted

Here ya go: http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9174.htmlSpecifically look at section 3, item C, on Chan Robles Virtual Law Library:

Visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one (1) year for foreign passport holders, with the exception of restricted nationals;
Here is the image of a Balikbayan Stamp, from my friend Jim Sibbick's website, http://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.compost-8-1222187609_thumb.jpgInformation regarding it is on this page: http://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.co...sa_examples.htm
Returning Filipinos, their spouse and children are entitled to a Balikbayan stamp which allows them to stay 1 year without a visa. This is a picture of a passport with the balikbayan stamp. You can read the original Republican Act 6768 and the amended Republican Act 9174 regarding the Balikbayan programme
- By Jim SibbickThe next time you enter the Philippines, ask any Bureau of Immigration officer if the Balikbayan Privilege is a visa. They will tell you, "No."--------------------So, if you can't see it now, we will have to just agree to disagree. :as-if:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Paul, I was just trying to do what I always have done on your forum, and that is help readers, :as-if: what they call it is so unimportant to me, as long as I and others get it stamped in our passport and can stay a year at a time upon entry without paying all those fees. As I said before, it is really a matter of semantics what you want to call it. I will eventually get an ACR or whatever once we move to the Philippines if necessary but we still plan on taking trips outside the PI often, so I may never need anything but the BB. BTW, thanks for helping me up my post count here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

paul
Posted
Posted

It is always okay to help others, Lee. We just have to provide others we help, with correct information. :as-if: No worries. Post counts don't mean anything, other than a person posts a lot. :P

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

or provides info people can use. Correct info is a matter or interpretation. The info I provided was correct and nitpicking the name does not change the info. Balikbayan Visa or Balikbayan Visa privilege, 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I have been asked at the immigration counter in the airports upon arrival into the Philippines by the authorities both men and women on numerous occasions if we wanted a Balikbayan Visa, so I guess you better go to all the airports and teach all of the personel that they are calling it the wrong name also.BTW, I was joking about post count Paul, did you not see the 3 laughing faces, I guess you do not understand sarcasm, as my last post in the mod section on your forum when I resigned as a moderator, was also sarcasm. or why else would I have said "adios" and I thought you knew me well enough by now to know that.I have posted info on this forum to help get it going and I would hope that others will do the same to help Tom.

paul
Posted
Posted

Dude, that is why I replied with smileys. Don't take things so personally on a forum. :P