Living Without A Bathtub

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

One of the things I really miss in the Philippines is a bath tub. Some expat homes have them and a few hotels have them but I don't often get a chance to soak in the tub. I can compromise by going to the local pool or having a short time visit to a hotel I know has a tub, but it does not compare to soaking in my own tub.So I have a plan to build a small, basic one or two bedroom house in a rural area. Of course I can install a bathtub but I am wondering if it is worth it. Instead of that I am thinking of having a cement, hillbilly hot tub built in the back yard. Basically an onsite built concrete structure, about the size of a two man tub, that will hold 2 adults, or 6 local kids and 2 hound dogs. I am thinking it will be cheap to build. I am planning on solar heated water, hillbilly style, (if you have to ask what that means, just leave your garden hose stretched out on the driveway during the heat of the day and then spray yourself carefully. I mean that because you will find that water in the hose to be VERY hot).The unit would be small enough that it would not take an enormous amount of water so no need for fancy pool chemicals and recycling equipment, just fill it, use it, empty it, like a bathtub. I envision a privacy fence around it but very little else.Anyone want to comment on pros or cons that come to mind?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It seems a good plan to me. A fence to keep out children or critters is a good idea or maybe a nipa type enclosure? Frankly I was a little doubtful reading “HOT TUB”. I’ve yet to experience rainy season. We all know it never really gets cool or cold but I could see with the rain and wind blowing it would be fun to have a soak.Flat screen, small fridge and.....

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Frankly I was a little doubtful reading “HOT TUB”. I’ve yet to experience rainy season. We all know it never really gets cool or cold but I could see with the rain and wind blowing it would be fun to have a soak.Flat screen, small fridge and.....
I suppose I am just preconditioned to relaxing in a hot tub. When I get out the surrounding air feels cooler to my super heated body. Not sure how much I would use it but if all else fails I could fill it with cool water and add ice for a COLD TUB SugarwareZ-037.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Frankly I was a little doubtful reading “HOT TUB”. I’ve yet to experience rainy season. We all know it never really gets cool or cold but I could see with the rain and wind blowing it would be fun to have a soak.Flat screen, small fridge and.....
I suppose I am just preconditioned to relaxing in a hot tub. When I get out the surrounding air feels cooler to my super heated body. Not sure how much I would use it but if all else fails I could fill it with cool water and add ice for a COLD TUB SugarwareZ-037.gif
EXACTLY what I was thinking!ice_bath.jpg

Jake
Posted
Posted
EXACTLY what I was thinking!ice_bath.jpg
My immediate thoughts seeing that photo was two "objects" shrinking like a black hole.And the "middle object" reversing itself completely back into the body for some warmth.I think it's a novel idea to have a bath tub. However, you probably need to have it fully enclosed (locked) if you decide to have it outside. Personally, I prefer the nearest beach body surfing and watching the ladies with a good pair of binoculars.....he, he.Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Bath tubs seems to be a luxury item in the Philippines! To your average Filipino, it's a waste of time and most places, the water pressure is so low, it would take hours to fill a bath tub! Also depending on where one lives and where the water source is coming from is of importance concerning the bacteria levels present in the water! You take your chances with the quality of water in the Philippines for bathing weather it comes from an under ground well or municipal city water! The question is, "is the water completely safe"? We live in a new subdivision of almost 11 yrs old and we fortunately have our own water treatment plant, a real big difference (we can actually smell the chlorine or fluoride in the water). Other places we lived, one can smell and taste the water of rust, sewage and whatever else after seasonal floods or from neighbors tapped into one another's water lines not knowing if their water lines are exposed to other hidden contaminates like a nearby pig farm who's waste are draining into the under ground well supply! Think about it! Is your water source safe 100%?

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
...The question is, "is the water completely safe"? ...
Yes... his "hot or cold tub" water supply will be completely safe.......... but his bill to the bottled water supplier will be huge.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Bath tubs seems to be a luxury item in the Philippines! To your average Filipino, it's a waste of time and most places, the water pressure is so low, it would take hours to fill a bath tub! Also depending on where one lives and where the water source is coming from is of importance concerning the bacteria levels present in the water! You take your chances with the quality of water in the Philippines for bathing weather it comes from an under ground well or municipal city water! The question is, "is the water completely safe"? We live in a new subdivision of almost 11 yrs old and we fortunately have our own water treatment plant, a real big difference (we can actually smell the chlorine or fluoride in the water). Other places we lived, one can smell and taste the water of rust, sewage and whatever else after seasonal floods or from neighbors tapped into one another's water lines not knowing if their water lines are exposed to other hidden contaminates like a nearby pig farm who's waste are draining into the under ground well supply! Think about it! Is your water source safe 100%?
That's a very good point. All kinds of microscopic heebee jeebees in the water supply.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So now my fantasy of a hillbilly hot tub is starting to take a plunge, I am thinking of ways to maintain and check the water quality.When living in a rural area I suspect there are 3 water sources other than MCWD available. There are streams and wells and rain runoff that might be filtered and used in my hot tub.Now as for testing the water, and online search for Home water testing kit yields a lot of interesting possibilities. There seem to be 'test strips' available to dip in the water and immediately know if it is safe to bathe in. So, where to buy them in the Philippines? Anyone tried that? Are they too expensive to be practical? Are they reliable? I'm just putting the questions out there in case anyone else has done it or researched it. I am a bit lazy but will eventually do the research myself before putting in any kind of tub.By the way, thanks for the heads up guys, it had not occurred to me that the water I shower in may not be fit to bathe in but it makes sense . . in fact it gives me another topic of concern.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifI've only taken a bath in a bath tub or jacuzzi maybe 5 times in my lifetime! So, It's no big deal if I don't ever get into one ever again! I'm more into swimming in swimming pools or in the clean and warm oceans of Hawaii! But in the Philippines, it all depends where, but for sure never here along the entire coast of Zambales of Northern Central Luzon, it's nasty! Just too much sh&t being dumped in the ocean along their coastline! It's sad, but true! Take my word for it, because while driving up and down the coast of Zambales, one can observe every channels, water ways and rivers just flowing out into the ocean of whatever awful things one can see in the water, foaming yellow bubbles, debri, dead animals and God only knows! It's almost as dirty as Manila Bay, at least there they have warning signs posted not to swim there! SugarwareZ-034.gif