Pinay Wife And Social Security Number

4thDan
Posted
Posted

Getting ready to do U.S Federal taxes...quick question...Got married to Filipina last August, 2010...she does not have a US SS number...how do I answer that line in the tax form? She is my legal dependent but don't have a US SS number to satisfy the IRS? Help please...

No name
Posted
Posted
Getting ready to do U.S Federal taxes...quick question...Got married to Filipina last August, 2010...she does not have a US SS number...how do I answer that line in the tax form? She is my legal dependent but don't have a US SS number to satisfy the IRS? Help please...
Are you in the USA with her?If so you should have got ... sorry I forget the exact term a TIN from SS.If she isn't here and you don't have an SSN or the other TIN you get when you file immigration papers I don't think you're going to be able to claim her. It has been a while since I looked at that but I'm pretty sure that you must have an SSN or TIN to claim any dependent now.Geesh though, you have a problem if that is the case. You must file married and you must either file joint or separate and any way you need a TIN.If you don't have that TIN, call SSN if you can get someone on the phone and find out how you can get one for her. Explain she's not in the country if that is the case.Also call the IRS and explain the same.I'll go do some research on it.

No name
Posted
Posted

4thDan
Posted
Posted

I forgot to add that we are living here in Cebu. Not sure how that changes things...but I'm sure that adds to the complications. LOL

Are you in the USA with her?If so you should have got ... sorry I forget the exact term a TIN from SS.If she isn't here and you don't have an SSN or the other TIN you get when you file immigration papers I don't think you're going to be able to claim her. It has been a while since I looked at that but I'm pretty sure that you must have an SSN or TIN to claim any dependent now.Geesh though, you have a problem if that is the case. You must file married and you must either file joint or separate and any way you need a TIN.If you don't have that TIN, call SSN if you can get someone on the phone and find out how you can get one for her. Explain she's not in the country if that is the case.Also call the IRS and explain the same.I'll go do some research on it.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I believe that she will need an ITIN in order for you to file as married. I would contact the US EMBASSY in Manila social security section and ask them how to obtain and ITIN while living here in the Philippines. Other than that you would have to do it online at the ITIN link I provided above and by reading HERE How to obtain an ITIM while abroad?Phone: (63) (2) 301-2000 Fax: (63) (2) 522-1514

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just happened to remember United Army aka Marko's posts here: http://www.philippin...t=0 at the very top of the page, posted 29 July 2010 - 5:00pm, concerning getting a U.S. Social Security number for your Filipina spouse for IRS tax purposes!

Edited by Fil/AmArt
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

JUST A REMINDER,,, if your living outside USA, make sure to check your credit report (at least once a year),as identify theft can happen at any time.also I think, not sure. you can put some type of block to prevent "instant" credit from being granted.. GUARD YOUR US SSN it is valuable like gold to those who do ID theft. ( let me also note I am NOT connected in any way to any credit bureau ):photo-109:

No name
Posted
Posted
JUST A REMINDER,,, if your living outside USA, make sure to check your credit report (at least once a year),as identify theft can happen at any time.also I think, not sure. you can put some type of block to prevent "instant" credit from being granted.. GUARD YOUR US SSN it is valuable like gold to those who do ID theft. ( let me also note I am NOT connected in any way to any credit bureau ):photo-109:
You know, that's a really good suggestion. Both of them. Since I do a lot of business online, I have a TIN or EIN so that I don't have to let my SSN get out.You can get a free credit report from each of the big three credit reporting agency at: https://int.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp?code=73618818527268873215535143630580If you split it up, you can get one every four months by getting it from a different agency. Such a great idea, I'm going to add it to my ebook. I've not requested mine for a while. I think I'll go do that now.Thanks for the reminder. :cheersty:
  • Like 1

No name
Posted
Posted

You want be able to use that link outside the USA unless you have a way of getting a US IP address. I wouldn't use a free proxy, most of those these days are setup to steal your ID.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Looky here! How to get a TIN for your wife!http://www.philippin...t=0 at the top of the page by the OP. Edited by Art2ro