Island Power Plants Run Out Of Fuel

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This looks like things may get bad in the near future for many areas, and as fuel prices go up, things may only get worse. Any forum member have family affected by these shut downs of power?Several generation facilities under the National Power Corp.’s Small Power Utilities Group (SPUG) have ceased operations, plunging areas they serve into darkness for up to over a month now. More facilities will stop operations by end-March when they finally run out of fuel.Napocor documents obtained by the Inquirer showed that as early as January 17, the Casiguran diesel power plant in Aurora had run out of fuel and ceased operations. This meant areas served by the facility have been in darkness for more than a month now.Other SPUG plants have since followed suit. The Cuyo diesel power plant in Palawan has been out of fuel since January 28, the Calapan modular diesel-fired unit in Oriental Mindoro since February 2, the Tandubas diesel plant and Power Barge 108 in Tawi-Tawi since February 3, the Camotes diesel facility in Cebu since February 4, and the Guintarcan plant in Cebu and the Dinagat plant in Surigao del Norte since February 5.The Lubuagan facility in Kalinga, Mamburao modular in Occidental Mindoro, and Pilar plant in Cebu also ran out of fuel on February 6.These plants, together with many others, had to stop operating when they ran out of fuel and their suppliers refused to deliver any more petroleum to them. The suppliers’ refusal to deliver stemmed from Napocor-SPUG’s non-payment of their fuel purchases.The Complete Story HERE

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm sure this concerns everyone living in the Philippines! Fortunately living in Northern Central Luzon we seldom have power outages except during hurricane winds knocking down power lines! Does anyone know of a cheap way to power a quiet portable outdoor generator besides using gasoline or diesel fuel and what type and brands of generators are available, where and how to buy them? Solar and wind power technology in the Philippines is still quite an expensive proposition, so that's out of the question!Even drinking water is beginning to get expensive also and their cleanliness is also in question! What's our alternative? Our own home portable water filtering system? What types are available, 99.9% safe, where to buy them and at what cost? I'm sure there people out there in the know! I'm making this, one of my priorities to research for a practical and possible solution!

Jake
Posted
Posted
I'm sure this concerns everyone living in the Philippines! Fortunately living in Northern Central Luzon we seldom have power outages except during hurricane winds knocking down power lines! Does anyone know of a cheap way to power a quiet portable outdoor generator besides using gasoline or diesel fuel and what type and brands of generators are available, where and how to buy them? Solar and wind power technology in the Philippines is still quite an expensive proposition, so that's out of the question!Even drinking water is beginning to get expensive also and their cleanliness is also in question! What's our alternative? Our own home portable water filtering system? What types are available, 99.9% safe, where to buy them and at what cost? I'm sure there people out there in the know! I'm making this, one of my priorities to research for a practical and possible solution!
http://www.northernt...matchallpartialHey Art, the above link may get you started on electrical generators running on propane. And the link below iswater purification systems from Amazon:http://www.amazon.co...fication+systemHave a good one -- Jake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What's wrong with powering a generator from a good old fashioned water wheel? Assuming you are near a source of flowing water. Here is a pic of a modern oneHydro-Electric-Barrel-Generator.jpg

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave,th_thholysheep.gifIf the picture you posted didn't look so funny and primitive like in a Road Runner cartoon, I would take you and it seriously! And, we don't live near a flowing river either! How many expats do?

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave,th_thholysheep.gifIf the picture you posted didn't look so funny and primitive like in a cartoon, I would take you and it seriously! And, we don't live near a flowing river either! How many people do?
Floating hydro electric generatorHere is more info if you want to check it out. Unfortunately, most first world countries regulate the waterways so it is illegal to put a generator like this in the water but here in the Phils . . well it would likely work

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Dave,th_thholysheep.gifIf the picture you posted didn't look so funny and primitive like in a cartoon, I would take you and it seriously! And, we don't live near a flowing river either! How many people do?
Floating hydro electric generatorHere is more info if you want to check it out. Unfortunately, most first world countries regulate the waterways so it is illegal to put a generator like this in the water but here in the Phils . . well it would likely work
OK signnvm.gif it looks like you were serious since you provided a link, but still, how many expats do you know of who lives near a flowing river in their back yards?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
OK signnvm.gif it looks like you were serious since you provided a link, but still, how many expats do you know of who lives near a flowing river in their back yards?
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but my point of view is a bit different than many. I am from an area of Canada where the population density is small and we are used to finding solutions to whatever problems come up. My kind of solution is geared towards someone living in a rural area rather than in a city. My approach is to look for a fast flowing stream first and then consider buying the property. If you already have property then it is too late to look for a stream.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Dave,You're not a smart ass by any means! You're just into genuine old fashion ingenuity and simple solutions that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in this era of modern day technology! AddEmoticons04230.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://www.northernt...matchallpartialHey Art, the above link may get you started on electrical generators running on propane. And the link below iswater purification systems from Amazon:http://www.amazon.co...fication+systemHave a good one -- Jake
Looks like my previous reply is missing. The links you provided are all in the U.S. with 110Volt AC outputs and shipping would be costly to the Philippines.Amazon.com only refers to water filter systems and not desalinization types of systems.