Island Power Plants Run Out Of Fuel

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Depends where you live. Leyte has a geothermal power plant which will not run out any time soon. Cebu uses this power too but also has diesel generators.Regards; Jim

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

just

Depends where you live. Leyte has a geothermal power plant which will not run out any time soon. Cebu uses this power too but also has diesel generators.Regards; Jim
That's nice to hear. A few weeks ago the brownouts were daily. Something was broken somewhere. Now it's back to just once or twice a week apparently.... I know nothing on the subject, but is powering generators with used cooking oil - like they do with cars - possible?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I know nothing on the subject, but is powering generators with used cooking oil - like they do with cars - possible?
From my readings it seems to be easy enough to do provided you have a diesel powered generator system. The problem seems to stem from needing a heck of a lot of used cooking oil to make it work. So you can make your own biodiesel from coconut oil, or grow soy beans or canola to make it. Now the problem is that it may be more efficient to sell your produce and buy diesel fuel rather than going through the trouble of making your own biodiesel.If you want to be totally self sufficient you can read about biodiesel here and how to make biodiesel here. It would make a fascinating hobby.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife says politicians will often withhold to punish or motivate.We all know because of the volatility in the Middle East now supply will dwindle and cost rise. The Filipino environmentalist’s action groups are fighting the coal fired power plants. Not sure if it’s because of pollution or “someone” is making protester payments. Anyone have a take on what’s up with that?

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
I know nothing on the subject, but is powering generators with used cooking oil - like they do with cars - possible?
From my readings it seems to be easy enough to do provided you have a diesel powered generator system. The problem seems to stem from needing a heck of a lot of used cooking oil to make it work. So you can make your own biodiesel from coconut oil, or grow soy beans or canola to make it. Now the problem is that it may be more efficient to sell your produce and buy diesel fuel rather than going through the trouble of making your own biodiesel.If you want to be totally self sufficient you can read about biodiesel here and how to make biodiesel here. It would make a fascinating hobby.
My friend's father here in Taiwan told me last week about the Chinese government buying up a lot of land in Saskatchewan years ago to grow canola or something for biofuel. He recycles mineral waste or something, so does a lot of business with oil companies in Alberta and China. He mentioned something about southern Philippines being the richest place for mineral mining (or something like that) in Asia. I hope this ain't too far off topic.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Here is a post Ed Villas sent me, so I will post it for him.

sir here is an update to the recent posting,i tried to post but was not able. hope this can helphttp://www.mb.com.ph...306335/npc-trieFebruary 26, 2011, 12:34am MANILA, Philippines – The National Power Corporation (NPC) said it is working double-time to ensure that fuel supply does not run out for the small power plants being operated in far-flung islands and inland barangays by its missionary electrification arm, the Small Power Utilities Group. At the same time, NPC President Froilan A. Tampinco said the firm has successfully concluded negotiations with fuel suppliers like Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation, Petron Corporation, and Filpride Resources, Inc., and has convinced them to resume fuel deliveries to the SPUG areas. In exchange, NPC had committed to pay its obligations to these fuel suppliers once it receives some financial relief from the National Government. Tampinco also clarified that only four out of the 157 power plants being operated by SPUG actually experienced a fuel run-out. These were the Casiguran Diesel Power Plant in Aurora, the Cuyo Diesel Power Plant in Palawan, Power Barge 108 in Tawi Tawi and the Camotes Diesel Power Plant in Cebu. NPC data further showed that in the case of Camotes, the fuel problem lasted for only three days (from February 9 to 11), while PB 108 was out of diesel for only one day (February 3), as the delivery of its fuel supply was delayed due to bad weather. “Due to budget constraints, National Power has indeed been experiencing some problems with the fuel supply of the SPUG areas, but we wish to assure the public that we are already undertaking several mitigating measures to address the matter,” he said. He added that ‘we also wish to acknowledge the invaluable assistance given to us by the Local Government Units and the electric cooperatives who have agreed to advance the payment for the fuel requirements of the SPUG plants in their areas, as was the case in Cebu and Siquijor, and soon, in Palawan and Romblon.” Among other solutions, NPC is banking on the Department of Finance and the Department of Budget and Management to reimburse at least P2 billion, or half of the P4.367 billion that National Power had advanced for the preservation and maintenance of the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant. In separate letters to Budget Secretary Florencio V. Abad and Finance Secretary Cesar V. Purisima, Tampinco said the requested fund will be used to immediately settle National Power’s overdue fuel payables, which has run up to P1.3 billion. The rest of the requested P2 billion-reimbursement will be used pay for National Power’s ongoing fuel deliveries, as well as those that are scheduled until the middle of March 2011. Earlier this week, Energy Secretary Jose Rene D. Almendras endorsed NPC’s request letters to the DOF and DBM, boosting prospects that the reimbursement will be released soon.

No name
Posted
Posted
I'm sure this concerns everyone living in the Philippines! Fortunately living in Northern Central Luzon we seldom have power outages except during hurricane winds knocking down power lines! Does anyone know of a cheap way to power a quiet portable outdoor generator besides using gasoline or diesel fuel and what type and brands of generators are available, where and how to buy them? Solar and wind power technology in the Philippines is still quite an expensive proposition, so that's out of the question!Even drinking water is beginning to get expensive also and their cleanliness is also in question! What's our alternative? Our own home portable water filtering system? What types are available, 99.9% safe, where to buy them and at what cost? I'm sure there people out there in the know! I'm making this, one of my priorities to research for a practical and possible solution!
The town mentioned in the article, Aurora is in central eastern Luzon. Have had so many brownouts in Bogo recently, I would no longer recommend it as a place to live.