The Long Road To Subic Bay

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

I remember when traveling from Angeles City to Subic Bay was a nightmare. Between the two lane road filled with moon crater sized potholes, endless unfinished construction projects, detours, traffic accidents, and traffic; not to mention kids on bikes, livestock, dogs, cats, and an endless count of chickens on the road, the trip usually took at least 2 ½ to 3 hours!Now, thanks to the opening of the Subic-Clark expressway early in 2009, those days are gone and the trip takes only about 40 minutes. A far cry from the old days when one would be tired out upon arrival in Subic just from the stressful and tiring trip. post-1388-0-13621500-1300217330_thumb.jpSubic itself and the entire area around it is like a giant candy store. With endless places to go, places to eat, boating, diving, and even girl chasing. Actually, if the girls are running it’s because they are chasing you. Nice for a change hay guys? Why waste all that energy that could better be used in the evening when they come to you, or just follow you around like a lost puppy-waiting to go home with you.One of my favorite areas there is Blue Rock Resort. Its actually off base but still close by. It sits on the beach and has very nice accommodations with a full service restaurant, swimming pool, and even has a floating bar several yards out in the bay. Johan’s dive shop is right next door and does dive tours for those who want to see Subic bay from the bottom up. There are many world war II ship and aircraft wrecks waiting to be explored in this huge bay.Sailing and all types of boating is extremely popular in Subic and is the host for the yearly Hong Kong-Subic sailing regatta.Broadwater Marine is close by and is owned by a friend of mine, Rod Hegerty, one of the greatest guys you could ever want to meet. He carries all boating supplies from anchors to rope and all boat and engine repair on site. Stop in for a cold one when there. He always has a good sea story to tell. Just outside Subic base is Olongapo city. It’s a city with many stores and restaurants and fun places to see. Easy to get around by taking any yellow jeepney. They travel in a loop around town so its not easy to get lost.Subic Bay has to be one of my favorite places in the country and a must see for anyone traveling to or vacationing here. post-1388-0-11089500-1300217356_thumb.jpSubic also has a good supply of apartments and American style homes on base for anyone that might be thinking of moving to the Philippines. Be sure to check out Subic before you decide to “drop anchor” somewhere else in the Philippines…

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Married Kano,I was pleasantly surprised that my hometown of PO City stayed relatively clean and traffic discipline improved. There is a growing expat community north of the city with plenty of day and evening entertainment.Thanks for the memories -- Jake

softail
Posted
Posted

I was there 2 yrs ago. I was doing some scouting, looking for potential places to move. To my amazement on base was like any small town in the USA. Nice homes, streets laid out in an orderly fashion, traffic laws obeyed. If I wanted to enjoy the local lifestyle just crossed the bridge into Olongapo and then retreated back to Subic for a little break.Doug and Sally

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake, Thanks for the reply. Olongapo/Subic really is a great place.You’re right, the entire Subic base and also Onlongapo looks good. I volunteered my time several years ago in managing the Hungry Marlin restaurant on base for a friend of mine that use to own the place. Truly enjoyable being there-especially Olongapo City itself. People are always friendly there in town and I miss taking the jeepneys around. Do you ever get to come home and spend time here? I can’t imaging ever leaving the Philippines to return to the states or live anywhere else. Gene

Hello Married Kano,I was pleasantly surprised that my hometown of PO City stayed relatively clean and traffic discipline improved. There is a growing expat community north of the city with plenty of day and evening entertainment.Thanks for the memories -- Jake

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

Hi Doug and Sally, Were you able to locate housing when you were here? Usually it takes a bit longer to find what you are looking for that just a trip or vacation. As I told Jake in another post here, I stayed in Subic for a time while helping a friend with his business that use to be there.I found good temporary housing up at Crown Peak on base. Many apartments available up there above the Cuby Point airport. The only drawback there is they do not allow any real cooking in the units. But from what I saw many there use a microwave and or a hot plate to be able to do a little cooking. That would be a good place to stay short term while house hunting in the area. Gene

I was there 2 yrs ago. I was doing some scouting, looking for potential places to move. To my amazement on base was like any small town in the USA. Nice homes, streets laid out in an orderly fashion, traffic laws obeyed. If I wanted to enjoy the local lifestyle just crossed the bridge into Olongapo and then retreated back to Subic for a little break.Doug and Sally

Jake
Posted
Posted

The last time I was there was back in 1997 during my "first retirement". Because I was too Americanized,I left my native land after 7 years of frustration. I'm willing to return again but this time, with a little morepatience and going with the flow, especially dealing with relatives. Hopefully around summer of 2012, whenI'm eligible to collect my SS benefits, along with my military pension, I should be OK there. But will definitelykeep a very low profile. Hungry Marlin Restaurant sounds very interesting!Respectfully -- Jake

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

Jake,I know it gets frustrating here after being use to the life in or like in the states. Happens to me every day. But then I look at rush rush lifestyle that I left behind-not to mention all the endless bills and there is no way I would ever trade the wonderful life I have found here. Especially having a wonder wife and family it seems almost like heaven here.Family matters for most when moving here or like you, returning to live here can be difficult as most see you as a source of help. I think we each find a way to deal with it---without going broke eventually. Myself, I still have three more years till SS. Then will have a direct deposit into China Bank. Makes it good that was as my wife will be able to use the bank and or ATM even if I dont want to go along.Rather than live in a foreigner compound and be isolated we decided to make our home in a Mt. Pinatubo resettlement close to Magalang. Photos here:post-1388-0-77114100-1300260122_thumb.jp post-1388-0-18626300-1300260156_thumb.jp Best thing I've ever done. The people here although very poor, are wonderful to know and be around ever day. I've been in volunteer service with the Brgy Police with my wife and also the PNP/PDEA drug unit in our area for seven years. Great fun and a way to help our town and local area.Although removed from larger towns living here, we are just a 30 minute ride from the new Marquee mall by Angeles and its become our second home and my wife's favorite place for hand bags etc-hahaha. Photo of the new mall: post-1388-0-81505300-1300260388_thumb.jpI think you'll find lots of great changes in the area the next time you come home for a visit. The area is really growing up.Gene

The last time I was there was back in 1997 during my "first retirement". Because I was too Americanized,I left my native land after 7 years of frustration. I'm willing to return again but this time, with a little morepatience and going with the flow, especially dealing with relatives. Hopefully around summer of 2012, whenI'm eligible to collect my SS benefits, along with my military pension, I should be OK there. But will definitelykeep a very low profile. Hungry Marlin Restaurant sounds very interesting!Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gene, the Married Kano! Yeah, I know what you mean about the roads way back when. I haven't yet used the new highway to Subic, but maybe one of these days! I was stationed at Clark AB between '68 to '71, so I'm familiar with the area. We lived in Castillejos and then in West Tapinac area in Olongapo near SBMA just at the end of Magsaysay Ave's rotunda circle near the BI office for 2 yrs when we arrived in 1998! We didn't like the area, because of the floods, power outages, backed up sewer lines or open sewage channels and landslides with no way out, but now there's a way out at the back side of SBMA's new freeway. We now live in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, in a quiet, nice & clean modern suburb near Enchanted Kingdom, Laguna Techno Park and Paseo de Sta Rosa complex with all the shops, fast food joints, restaurants and local market which is just across the street from our home! Artthe Fil/Am fromSta Rosa, Laguna

Edited by Art2ro

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

Hi Art,I didnt know that Olongapo had flooding in the past as I never got to the Philippines during my army days. Your house ther must have been close to the public market. I didnt get to stay there for too long. The owner of the restaurant ended up selling about for or five months after he asked my help. Just as well really. Being married it was difficult being away from my family except for weekends and was glad to go home. Clark now is not as nice as Subic. Everything needed to make Clark as clean and up to date is available but I guess the government has other uses for the funds. One good thing at Clark now is the SM mall thats just inside the old main gate. Good shopping and the place really fills up with people. Gene...

Gene, the Married Kano!Yeah, I know what you mean about the roads way back when. I haven't yet used the new highway to Subic, but maybe one of these days! I was stationed at Clark AB between '68 to '71, so I'm familiar with the area. We lived in Castillejos and then in West Tapinac area in Olongapo near SBMA just at the end of Magsaysay Ave's rotunda circle near the BI office for 2 yrs when we arrived in 1998! We didn't like the area, because of the floods, power outages, backed up sewer lines or open sewage channels and landslides with no way out, but now there's a way out at the back side of SBMA's new freeway. We now live in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, in a quiet, nice & clean modern suburb near Enchanted Kingdom, Laguna Techno Park and Paseo de Sta Rosa complex with all the shops, fast food joints, restaurants and local market which is just across the street from our home! Artthe Fil/Am fromSta Rosa, Laguna

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Gene,Yeah, I remember it flooded in Olongapo in 2000, SBMA is just slightly above sea level and the whole town of Subic was flooded. We lived closer to the SBMA back gate in West Tapinac just the next street over from the BI office on 8th St. The apt we were we renting at the time used to belong to my grandmother which was converted to an apt complex by my 1st cousin back in late 80s. BTW, myself, Jake and EJ Barton aka Gapotwo, all three of us are Fil/Ams and we were all born in Olongapo a few yrs apart from one another, I'm the oldest, Jake 2nd and EJ, which he's the youngest, Jake I've already met in person last year, EJ not yet, but I'm sure we will when Jake makes it here to the Philippines! How odd is that us three on the same forum too, long story, but sort of short! SBMA is nicer than Clark, but Clark now has an SM, which I haven't seen yet, except for the one in San Fernando! What surprised me about SM San Fernando, was that they had a Jack in the Box there, but sadly, I heard it shut down! Jack in the Box in the U.S. is my favorite fast food joint, because of their 99cents tacos! I'm glad you like it here in the Philippines! Art