The Long Road To Subic Bay

Jake
Posted
Posted

Gene,Thank you for the encouragement about family life. I must admit that you have the adventurous spirit settling near the volcano. I had to look Google Earth Magalang, Pampanga which is about 40 miles NE of Mt Pinatubo. You are also pretty near Angeles City and all the modern facilities. I must also commend you sir for your community involvement with the local law enforcement.I'm sure with your background in the US Army, they value your advice and training. I will surely put your area as a possible placeto canvas for my permanent residence.Thank you once again -- Jake

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Married Kano, welcome to the forum and my hometown of olongapo.ive rode the old hwy.54 many times as we would go to fort bonifacio to partisipate in the motocross races back when jackie enrile ran the PMRA. and raced at the old castilejos track in zambales. but that was back in 1974, havent been home since then.my parents house in barangay kalaklan is mine now and so is the apartments we have.we used to have the navy off post housing contract back then . so i am planning on making some of them available to expats for short term rentals. if you know the area, im just 15 mins. from the barrio barretto beaches. not far from the kalaklan bridge and parolla lighthouse. nice residential area, and away from the flooding a few years ago.will be going home soon after so long ,after living in alaska and hawaii most of my life i might have to relearn the ways of relaxed life.as a retired marine once said. in the days of old we were GUNG HO, but in these dase of whoe we are just HO,:) well im leaving the land of the big px. next month and maybee will have a beer and balut when i get setteled in at home. tanks EJ.:(

Married Kano
Posted
Posted

Hi EJ, Thanks for the welcome, yea that use to be quite a road and when taking the bus that last few miles use to scare me pretty good going down that windy canyon road. You're gonna find a lot of changes after being gone so long. Many resorts down by subic. Most filled with girl chasing foreign idiots but still a nice area if ya dont have to mess with them. Farther down the road in Zambales there are may beach resorts that are mostly for the locals and thats my favorite place. My wife's employer had their outing there last year and one of those resorts and we really had fun! Hmmm- I don't know about eating balut. Never could get use to eating those things. My weakness is chocolate cookies and milk. Gene..

Married Kano, welcome to the forum and my hometown of olongapo.ive rode the old hwy.54 many times as we would go to fort bonifacio to partisipate in the motocross races back when jackie enrile ran the PMRA. and raced at the old castilejos track in zambales. but that was back in 1974, havent been home since then.my parents house in barangay kalaklan is mine now and so is the apartments we have.we used to have the navy off post housing contract back then . so i am planning on making some of them available to expats for short term rentals. if you know the area, im just 15 mins. from the barrio barretto beaches. not far from the kalaklan bridge and parolla lighthouse. nice residential area, and away from the flooding a few years ago.will be going home soon after so long ,after living in alaska and hawaii most of my life i might have to relearn the ways of relaxed life.as a retired marine once said. in the days of old we were GUNG HO, but in these dase of whoe we are just HO,:AddEmoticons04230: well im leaving the land of the big px. next month and maybee will have a beer and balut when i get setteled in at home. tanks EJ.:13_4_10[1]:

Married Kano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake, actually we are quite a long way from Mt. Pinatubo. Hopefully it will sleep a few hundred years again now. We are quite close though to Mt. Arayat. Another volcano thats been "sleeping" for roughly 800 years and hopefully will continue to sleep a lot longer! The police service here just seemed like a natural and I could not at the time find another way to really hepl our little town. For the most part its been really good and helped me make a lot of good friends. Have to watch my back some as we have put our share in jail and had to brake up weekend fights too. Really Jake, I learn far more from the people here than they do from me I'm sure. The PNP for the most part seems to have a bad reputation but the officers we have here have all been great to be around and work with. If the rest of the country had the type of officers that our mayor brings in here, most crimes in the country would just about be a thing of the past. If you are going to look for a place in this area to live, there are many small but nice housing developments around Angeles, Dau, and Mabalacat that are not expensive. I just chose a resettlement as I didnt want to be closed in with nothing but foreigners in a large complex. Seems like that would defeat the reasons of moving to a different country. Take care, Gene..

Gene,Thank you for the encouragement about family life. I must admit that you have the adventurous spirit settling near the volcano. I had to look Google Earth Magalang, Pampanga which is about 40 miles NE of Mt Pinatubo. You are also pretty near Angeles City and all the modern facilities. I must also commend you sir for your community involvement with the local law enforcement.I'm sure with your background in the US Army, they value your advice and training. I will surely put your area as a possible placeto canvas for my permanent residence.Thank you once again -- Jake
Edited by Mr. Lee
repair quote

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Home in the Philippines is where one puts their flip flops outside the door entrance, if it has a "welcome.gifMat" out on front porch or door steps! If not, look for the "Beware of Dog" sign! Me personally, I wear my flip flops in doors and socks & shoes out doors, because of wild vicious stray dogs so I can run faster, but I make sure that my socks don't smell funky if I have to take my shoes off! mocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro