Another Example Of A Foreigner Getting A Bad Rap

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Of course we all know the news here suck, so what the true story is, we do not know, but now foreigners are getting charged for uttering obscene words. Now while I do not condone cursing in front of children, when will all this end, maybe when we all leave, and the economy here collapses. I hope they wake up before they chase us all away, and stop people from wanting to visit. It is only going to get worse. Be careful guys.An American national faces a child abuse case and two other cases for allegedly uttering obscene words and for threatening two minors and their mother.Prosecutor Alexander Acosta of the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office has recommended a P24,000-bail for American national Michael Kevin Verble.Verble was brought before the prosecutor’s office last March 4, 2011 where he executed a waiver of detention but on the said date he has not submitted any counter-affidavit to refute the charges against him.Aside from violation of Republic Act 7610 or the Child Abuse Law, Verble was also charged for qualified tresspassing, direct assault and grave oral defamation filed by the minor victims. However, in a joint resolution, Acosta dismissed the grave oral defamation charge considering that the compliant for violation of RA 7610 was basically anchored on the defamatory remarks made and uttered by the respondent.The mother of the two minors stated that last March 3, 2011 at around 7:00 in the evening, while she and her two children were watching television, Verble entered their house without her permission.Verble cursed the mother and her children and uttered the four-letter word and shouted at them asking who put writings on his tarot cards.The two children trembled in fear and ran to their room and shut the door.The complete story HERE

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

th_thholysheep.gifMy, oh my, oh my! What a temper, just over some taro cards that someone wrote on, barging in on the accused suspect's home uninvited, shouting at the mother and blaming her two defenseless minor children! So, all you cranky old Kanos and others out there, better remember Republic Act 7610 of the Philippines! "No Cussing" in public or in people's homes, it's illegal!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

i am sure at some time we do get angry or very frustrated. what has worked for me,I just use reverse verbal psychology. instead of the "bad words" i call them "Rocket scientists" opposite of being stupid. "Beverly hillbillies" or other such phases. many times most locals dont mean to upset us BUT their actions does. What they did by defacing his " personal property" was wrong but under their eyes they probably didnt care.. BUT what is so queer( as in weird) had it been aLOCAL who did this ..WOULD WE EVEN HAD A NEWS ARTICLE on this incident.. :yes:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
"No Cussing" in public or in people's homes, it's illegal!
You have to wonder what they consider cussing. For example, I purchased a glucometer in Mercury Drugs for the sole reason that the employee told me they stock test strips for that unit. 2 weeks later I went back to stock up. The clerks told me they had no test strips in stock but I could buy another unit as it comes with test strips.I lost it. I don't swear at them but I do go red in the face, get loud, speak aggressively and demand a supervisor, (who sold me the test strips from a new unit and told the employee to order more to replace them). So could I get charged with some crime?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
You have to wonder what they consider cussing. For example, I purchased a glucometer in Mercury Drugs for the sole reason that the employee told me they stock test strips for that unit. 2 weeks later I went back to stock up. The clerks told me they had no test strips in stock but I could buy another unit as it comes with test strips.I lost it. I don't swear at them but I do go red in the face, get loud, speak aggressively and demand a supervisor, (who sold me the test strips from a new unit and told the employee to order more to replace them). So could I get charged with some crime?
th_thholysheep.gifJust keep showing your anger or load out burst in a fit of rage in public often enough, you may one day soon get your wish! Who would know that, but yourself or the security guard with his finger in the trigger guard?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The short answer is probably. It seems they can charge us anytime they feel like it with many charges, one of which is Unjust Vexation which is a catch all term that has been used when foreigners have raised their voices to Filipinos. In your case, it was due to a business problem, so I doubt that they would attempt to charge anyone since it would be bad business for them to do so. As foreigners in a country where we have little rights, we will need to walk on eggshells for a while, and from what I have been told, it is only going to get worse for a while until things cool back down. One child being killed has changed the minds of a lot of the people who are in powers to thinking many of us are bad, and many of the upper class Filipinos did not like us to start with, and they are most often the ones in power. All I can say is walk softly until things cool down, or some of you may find yourself on the wrong end of the stick. I know I would have a hard time proving where I have been at all times, and at what times I have been there, so I now walk in front of the cameras in our condo building whenever I come in or go out, so at least I have that part covered. Who among you keeps a diary of dates and times, I know that I do not, but maybe I better start. 89.gif23_11_62[1].gif

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Who among you keeps a diary of dates and times, I know that I do not, but maybe I better start. 89.gif23_11_62[1].gif
Interesting that you mention that. My wife keeps such an accurate diary that it is amazing. I don't know what started her doing it but she has been doing it for many many years and spends at least half an hour every evening writing the entries by hand. I am impressed by her diligence even though I don't understand what drives a person to keep that intricate a diary. I have no idea what she plans to do with all those years of diaries but I doubt any court would accept a diary as proof of your whereabouts.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

An example of one having a temper, I know of a neighbor of ours, a Filipino guy, was in Tagaytay having lunch with his family and after lunch, they were all outside and the guy was passing out flyers. An off duty security guard told the guy that it was not allowed to pass flyers in town! Words were exchanged! Later, the off duty security guard with 3 of his other off duty security guard friends returned and words were again exchanged and a gun went off shooting the guy in the stomach, him dying in his wife's arms moments later! Was the brief heated exchange of words between him and the off duty security guards worth it? So here's a few words of wisdom, if anyone has a temper, keep it in check, it maybe detrimental to your health depending with whom you may bump in to, because it can happen to anyone, anywhere and at any time and the other guy may have a chip on his shoulder or a temper worst than yourself and may have a concealed gun or a knife! SugarwareZ-034.gif

Edited by Art2ro

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Disrepecting Filipinos is illegal and will get you deported. Regardless of the words you use.It onl;y requires a report from the barangay capatain to the bureau of immigration.So ,treat all Filipinos with respect all of the time. Regardless of your own personal thoughts on any given situation, just grin and bear it.If you can't do that, it is time for you to leave the Philippines.Regards; Jim

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

I say keep calm and learn to speek the language. in my travels ive had heated arguments with pinoys in english. then i would switch to tagalog and they always back down, and are amazed that i can speak their language. and relate to them. duhh.......i was born and raised there. but they dont know that. a smirk and a few nice words always gets things done. if not .....there is always ...Tanks ej.:)