Expats With Pets In Cebu

Cyrus
Posted
Posted (edited)

Greetings everyone,I am planning on moving to Cebu, and I will have to come there with my cat ( little kitten who is growing up fast ! ), and I would like to know what challenges should I expect to deal with because of my cat.I have read on some other forums every imaginable suggestion and comment persuading one NOT to bring a pet to Cebu, however, I kind of do not have a choice, and have to be his father for now.I would like to make this forum a place where expats and locals who do live in Cebu and have pets living with them either in an apartment/condo or a house, to share their experiences, and also the daily challenges that they face for having pets, ( prices we pay for being kind to animals ! )Originally, before this little kitten had come into my life, I was looking to rent an apartment/condo in Cebu, but now I guess I have to rent a house so my cat can go in & out freely, and not miss out on his natural life and his right to feel the fresh air, sunshine, rain, and the beautiful nature in Cebu. I know some argue that cats should be kept inside at all times, but I just can not lock him up inside while he is already so used to and eager to go outside, he'd be miserable to look at the world from behind a window glass or from a balcony all his life, I just can not do that to him, would not be fair.I have had 4 cats and two dogs ( not all at the same time ! ) over years in my life, but after the last of them passed away a few years ago , I had promised myself not to have any more pets, because losing them was just so emotionally painful,...... until suddenly.... this little kitten shows up at my door and just walks into my life ! ..an unexpected and seemingly permanent guest ! ...so much for my promise.... just my luck ! .........." of all the gin joints in all the world, this kitten just had to walk into mine !! 1%20(103).gif .... " smile.gifWishing you all a great time out there in Cebu.peace !! e3364.gif

Edited by Mr. Lee
red in post removed

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I hope he is a fast kitten if you are letting him outside. The dogs that they call 'pets' here are almost feral. I've seen 'pet' dogs rip apart birds, frogs, rats, and even a kid goat. When I used to walk my dog he was attacked many times each walk by other 'pets' as we walked by houses where they did not keep the dogs leashed, penned, or fenced. The dogs tend to group in gangs of 3 or so and attack any male dog who is not part of their group.I tend to leave my pet at home when I walk now. I have been told that there are areas of Cebu you can walk your dog without this happening but I have not see those areas. Note that when I am walking without my pet then the dogs ignore me 99 times out of 100

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

First there will be the issue of bring pets into the Philippines, certain policies apply and the only one I had found online in the past was THIS ONE at the Embassy of the Hague but I am pretty sure it would be the same for all countries, contact your local Embassy and find out what is needed far in advance of your move because most things here take time to get accomplished. Next issue as Dave said, if you keep you cat inside then they should be OK but there is also rabies to deal with for an outside animal, so if you wish to let it out, then I would say it might not be a good idea to bring a cat here by what Dave said, and the rabies issue. Next is mice and rats, there are plenty of them here, and I have even seen some in restaurants running around, so I am sure people get them in homes as well, not to mention the huge roaches, but those would give your cat something to play with. lol So while our condo is free of all those, and I am sure most homes are as well, those items might be something to consider in either place you were thinking of moving to. Also I am told they eat cats in quite a few countries, so yet another reason to keep them inside wherever you move. So I would not tell you to not bring your cat, just be aware of some of the challenges in doing so and take the necessary precautions.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I hope he is a fast kitten if you are letting him outside. The dogs that they call 'pets' here are almost feral. I've seen 'pet' dogs rip apart birds, frogs, rats, and even a kid goat. When I used to walk my dog he was attacked many times each walk by other 'pets' as we walked by houses where they did not keep the dogs leashed, penned, or fenced. The dogs tend to group in gangs of 3 or so and attack any male dog who is not part of their group.I tend to leave my pet at home when I walk now. I have been told that there are areas of Cebu you can walk your dog without this happening but I have not see those areas. Note that when I am walking without my pet then the dogs ignore me 99 times out of 100
Had that pack attack happen many times with my 70 pound pitbull, when he was a puppy. I was the one taking care of business then, cracked a few heads with a nice thick stick...not the one between my legs as I tend to like that one without bruises, and after the pack leader was bleeding...they all fell in line.Now?...he protects me against anything this side of gunfire. :th_thsmilies-29057:

Inspector
Posted
Posted
People-ask-me-if-I-like-Kittens-I-say-to-them-I-love-Kittens-but-I-can-never-finnish-a-whole-one.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Dos-Equis

Cyrus
Posted
Posted (edited)

Please also see my other post titled " Forex Trading in Cebu " in the following category; to get a better picture of my situation :

Edited by Mr. Lee
remove bolding

Cyrus
Posted
Posted

Is there another city in the Philippines where my cat could be safe ? or is the situation with the wild dogs, cats, and rabies the same all over the Philippines ? Would I have to keep him indoors at all times if I do bring my cat with me to the Philippines ?How about Manila, or the greater Manila Metro Area cities ? would any of these places be more cat-friendly ?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Is there another city in the Philippines where my cat could be safe ? or is the situation with the wild dogs, cats, and rabies the same all over the Philippines ? Would I have to keep him indoors at all times if I do bring my cat with me to the Philippines ?How about Manila, or the greater Manila Metro Area cities ? would any of these places be more cat-friendly ?
The only place I can think of would be Makiati because it is very much like NYC, so in other words a concrete jungle. I of course have not been to every place in the Philippines and there is nothing saying your cat would not be safe in Cebu, if you take due caution and possibly live in a gated community where dogs do not run loose. Personally I feel that the trouble to bring the cat over may not be worth it all, but once you look into it, and then know all it will take to do it and about the probable quarantine time, then you can make an informed decision.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are lots of cat houses in Angeles city

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted (edited)
There are lots of cat houses in Angeles city
Why didn't you tell me that?Now I have to add that city to my list of "Must Visit" places. Edited by Kuya Lee
post placement