Ant Deterrent

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Ants, like all insects, breathe through openings on the sides of their bodies. Any substance that clogs the openings will kill them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

I just buy ant chalk, it has boric acid in it and if used regularly, the ants carry enough back to their nest to kill the entire colony.Cheap and effective, no muss, no fuss and very little in the way of a mess.

Have the tiniest of ants I've ever seen appearing frequently in different areas of the house.Spray them with insect killer but eventually more return. Can't seem to be able to locate the source because they are in different places at different times.Is the a deterrent to be bought any where?
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I am using both boric acid and diatomaceous earth, but with mixed success. I really appreciate Sir Lee's links and instructions for mixing the boric acid. A good thing when giving recipes is to use weights, whether in ounces or grams/milliliters, even small ones. Some things we think as universal like a cup is not. It varies by country. In this instance, exact amounts are probably not necessary, but since most of us have measuring spoons around the house, they make a good reference, even if measuring cups don't. Plus a handy converter (likely to be one in your cell phone) for weights and temperatures is nice too.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Then I bought a box of Ant Killer Liquid Bait for 450 pesos that looks to be similar to the ant rid.
That's the stuff! I been using it since my last post and its the answer if it is in your budget. 6 little plastic trays of some syrupy substance. Open one and place it where you see ants. For 24 hours they come and gorge themselves on it and then . . . gone. No mess, no fuss, no measuring, so convenient. Highly recommended for ease of use, effectiveness and convenience.BTW, I have tried the ant chalk and the problem I have with it is that someone keeps cleaning up around here and removing all the chalk.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
DavidandBless
Posted
Posted

I like using th chalk one, it seem to work pretty good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
jode
Posted
Posted
Then I bought a box of Ant Killer Liquid Bait for 450 pesos that looks to be similar to the ant rid.
That's the stuff! I been using it since my last post and its the answer if it is in your budget. 6 little plastic trays of some syrupy substance. Open one and place it where you see ants. For 24 hours they come and gorge themselves on it and then . . . gone. No mess, no fuss, no measuring, so convenient. Highly recommended for ease of use, effectiveness and convenience.BTW, I have tried the ant chalk and the problem I have with it is that someone keeps cleaning up around here and removing all the chalk.
the thick syrup inside the trays is terro ant killer and has been around forever. It is an arsenic based product and the later introduction of it in those plastic trays is a way to keep it from being lethal to pets or annoying asawas. It can be bought straight in a small bottle which is more cost effective. You put a small drop of it on a small piece of cardboard like a matchbook cover. Place the matchbook cover in a likely spot and ants will soon find it and swarm to it and slurp it up. They take some back to their nest to share with their buddies and the queen. in a few days not any ants left as it slowly kills them.I have bought the small bottle of it at the hardware store at Robinsons but at another time i looked for it, it wasn't in stock. It is not as quick a killer as the spray but more thorough and longer lasting and who wants to spray that poison around the kitchen?
  • Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is the URL as its a large post ,with various "tips" of how to get rid of those (guys)ants.Lemon juice.Cinnamon,Diatomaceous Earth,Baking Soda And Powdered Sugar,Cornmeal are some of the items that can get rid of them.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/28/how-to-get-rid-of-ants_n_1385182.html

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I bought one of these guys ....... now all I gotta do is figure out how to clean up all the ant poo ........post-11-0-82387500-1333247285_thumb.jpgBut seriously we use the caulk ...... works wonders ..... just put it around table and chair legs and they don't go past it ..... had to laugh the other day my asawa put it around the dinning table legs again and then forgot and put something that the ants had gotten into on top of the table ..... poor little critters were running all around the table top as they couldn't get down ....... it was funny to see them carrying small bits of stuff around and around as they were stuck there ...... by the way we only have those tinny tiny ones you can hardly see ...... ahhhhhh .... the trials and tribulations of being an ant ..... :cheers:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I used to let the lizards come in under the door as I thought they will eat the ants and mossies. Then I realised that the damn cockroaches were coming in the same way so had to block it off. When I see ants I spray them with a water/bleach mixture. I have killed several hundred at a time when they find food we have dropped and missed in the clean-up. But I am going to look for that liquid/gell which kills them in the nest I will win in the end mmmm or move to a top apartment in a new high rise block.Kevin

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I used to let the lizards come in under the door as I thought they will eat the ants and mossies. Then I realised that the damn cockroaches were coming in the same way so had to block it off. When I see ants I spray them with a water/bleach mixture. I have killed several hundred at a time when they find food we have dropped and missed in the clean-up. But I am going to look for that liquid/gell which kills them in the nest I will win in the end mmmm or move to a top apartment in a new high rise block.Kevin
Sorry Kevin but if Filipino ants are anything like Canadian ants, well.... I have had ants on the 18th floor! :cheersty:
  • Like 1