Social Security Disability And Getting Married

Mavrick
Posted
Posted (edited)

If someone is on social security disability.Can they marry a Fillipina?And live there with out doing all the paper work for her to become a US citzen?Also this Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage looks like you have to almost file with the US to start the process.

Edited by Mavrick

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

sure you can (TRY) to live on your SSI but you will lose out on some of the benefits. 1. MEDICARE. doesnt work here. 2.Prescriptions in the US may not available here, Coverage not effective here.3. the "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" is required by ALL to marry a native/local. YOU OBTAIN that here at the US embassy see the posted url. http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.htmldo you have an ideal of what your living costs are or will be? you dont want her to become a US CITIZEN or dont do the paperwork? yes the paperwork is expensivehttp://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.htmlif you havent been here yet. review this forum, to get a better view of the "true" living conditions here.also you must review your status with the Bureau of immigration www.immigration.gov.ph thats just the very basic . i am sure others will offer their info :lol:

Mavrick
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the InfoBut not doing the paper work to become a us citzenAlso looking here at what is been posted about cost of living.Thanks for the links as well.

Edited by Mavrick

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If some is on social security disability.Can they marry a Fillipina?And live there with out doing all the paper work for her to become a US citzen?Also this Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage looks like you have to almost file with the US to start the process.
Make sure to have more than just SS to live on. Have a reserve fund for medical issues and also have a possible exit plan and cash or credit in case of an emergency. Come here on a trial bases and then decide, since one has to experience life in a developing nation to make sure they can hack it, because many things here can be very frustrating and especially if you do not have someone local to help you and guide you when issues come about. The Philippines is a big country, try a few areas and then decide if they are for you. Some like the provinces, some like living native and others like myself like to live in a condo in the city, different strokes for different folks, but know that city life is much more expensive, yet we are close to anything we may need. Good luck with your plans and we are all here to try to help make a transition easier for members. Getting married will be pretty easy, finding a good woman who wants you for you may take a little more time. Slow and steady and do not rush into anything.

4thDan
Posted
Posted

to add my two centavos to this...which is twice what it is worth......living costs here, as in the States, are what you make them. We choose NOT to live in the City...we live simply don't go out much,,except for buying guitars from which we provide our own entertainment. Personally I bank about 1/3 of my SS check and we don't want for anything. I agree that having some cash stored in the States for back up and emergencies is a fantastic piece of advice that one would be doing well to take to heart. One thing to keep in ones mind....it is a matter of perspective....if you're trying to be a big fish in a smaller pond...then you are going to need to readjust your way of thinking. I have found that just laying back and blending instead of trying to make "here" conform to me has proven to be not only less stressful but also makes being here a much much better experience.LOL also...if you haven't already the skill...learn to bargain.....One last thing, a fatherly type of word here, Pinay's are way different than Western women. Maybe I'm just one of the fortunate ones who found a great woman, but get used to being important in her life. It's not Kansas Dorothy....it's the PhilippinesAll in all, it can be a great experience, a great life and makes one wish he had done this much much earlier in life. Come on in...LOL the water's warm....enjoy.

If some is on social security disability.Can they marry a Fillipina?And live there with out doing all the paper work for her to become a US citzen?Also this Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage looks like you have to almost file with the US to start the process.
Make sure to have more than just SS to live on. Have a reserve fund for medical issues and also have a possible exit plan and cash or credit in case of an emergency. Come here on a trial bases and then decide, since one has to experience life in a developing nation to make sure they can hack it, because many things here can be very frustrating and especially if you do not have someone local to help you and guide you when issues come about. The Philippines is a big country, try a few areas and then decide if they are for you. Some like the provinces, some like living native and others like myself like to live in a condo in the city, different strokes for different folks, but know that city life is much more expensive, yet we are close to anything we may need. Good luck with your plans and we are all here to try to help make a transition easier for members. Getting married will be pretty easy, finding a good woman who wants you for you may take a little more time. Slow and steady and do not rush into anything.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Mavrick,Here's also my 2 centavos worth of my opinion concerning your situation! You better have the adequate minimum source of income of at least $1,800 a month and a sizable nest egg just for emergencies like health care unless you already have an international health care plan and for your Plan B to return to the U.S. if all else fail here in your stay in the Philippines! Most important, know the Filipino culture concerning the extended family you are marrying into, it can make or break you and your relationship let alone financially and emotionally! Lastly and also important, the region where you and your wife will live and or with her family or not? There's many pros and cons living with the extended family, you'll only find that out once you live the life here with your extended family! If it works out fine with you, there's nothing to fix that ain't broke! Good luck if you ever make it to the Philippines!

Mavrick
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the infoStill would like to know do you have file that US citzen paper work?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the infoStill would like to know do you have file that US citzen paper work?
I think the reason you are not getting an answer is because there is no real question. You cannot claim a non resident alien or non citizen on your tax return without an ITIN number, and there is no such thing as citizen paperwork for a foreign wife who resides in another country, at least not until she has been a resident alien in the US for 3 years of having a green card. Please be more specific as to your question if that does not answer it.

Mavrick
Posted
Posted

I am sorry about thatDo I have to file a K3 visa?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am sorry about thatDo I have to file a K3 visa?
If you plan to take her back to the states, then yes if you plan to marry there, but your first question included living there as you put it, so I took that as living in the Philippines., so no if you live in the Philippines, you just marry her in the Philippines and hopefully live happily ever after.