Rebuilding Old House Second Floor - Need Advice

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Are there any Mobile homes in the PH like we have here in the US? (Just wondering)
I think the hardest part would be to be mobile with narrow roads and busy roads etc.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Are there any Mobile homes in the PH like we have here in the US? (Just wondering)
I think the hardest part would be to be mobile with narrow roads and busy roads etc.
Mobile homes are actually just manufactured homes, which are often transported in a couple of pieces if they are too wide, and some are only as wide as a car, and not very long, while others are double wide and yet others are very long and look just like real homes. 250px-67elcona.JPG220px-Mobilehome_transport.jpg170px-FEMA_-_33715_-_A_mobile_home_being_moved_in_California.jpg400px-Exterior_Sectional.jpg

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I can see why someone would want a mobile home. If you look at the layout of a newer one, I'll try to post it here in a sec, you will see that they have about 160 sq meters of floor space, 1,400 + sq ft), which compares to about 3 normal houses here. I think it would be hard to find a place to put one in an urban Philippine setting, assuming you could even move it.143500.jpg

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I can see why someone would want a mobile home. If you look at the layout of a newer one, I'll try to post it here in a sec, you will see that they have about 160 sq meters of floor space, 1,400 + sq ft), which compares to about 3 normal houses here. I think it would be hard to find a place to put one in an urban Philippine setting, assuming you could even move it.143500.jpg
Maybe stand it up on its side. :lol:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I stand corrected, they do have modular type homes in the Philippines. HERE is some listings for some in Baguio.TN_baguio-Swedish-Modular-Homes-123_1.jpgTN_baguio-Swedish-Modular-Homes-121_1.jpgTN_baguio-Swedish-Modular-Homes-83_1.jpg

Jake
Posted
Posted
In the Philippines, it's the norm to demolish everything and start from scratch! Ever consider using prefab construction materials instead of hollow blocks? Check this link out: http://www.sibonga.c...es_concrete.htm It would be more energy efficient, but would probably cost a little bit more!
Thank you Art for the link for lightweight panels that are available in the Philippines. You deserve anotherpitcher of MoJo!Respectfully -- Jake

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

With an extensive personal (even hands on) experience on building constructions in Philippines i can tell as such.The house is 50 years old. The pilars and beams are made to support a wooden structure above and not a heavy hollow block/cement house.Traditional building in Philippines are concrete the ground floor and wood the upper, there are reasons for it. Wooden second floor makes it lighter and withstands earthquakes better than a full concrete which is made my masons and workers and a mere engineer without any earthquake safety locks. Wood is cooler than cement and does not absorbs the heat from the sunlight as the concrete making it unbearable hot.Given these facts, pre-fab is your best option. Workers argue it because all they know is hollow block and concrete. Get a pre-fab contractor, hide all the foreign incomes, and it will be just fine.Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Willie
Posted
Posted
With an extensive personal (even hands on) experience on building constructions in Philippines i can tell as such.The house is 50 years old. The pilars and beams are made to support a wooden structure above and not a heavy hollow block/cement house.Traditional building in Philippines are concrete the ground floor and wood the upper, there are reasons for it. Wooden second floor makes it lighter and withstands earthquakes better than a full concrete which is made my masons and workers and a mere engineer without any earthquake safety locks. Wood is cooler than cement and does not absorbs the heat from the sunlight as the concrete making it unbearable hot.Given these facts, pre-fab is your best option. Workers argue it because all they know is hollow block and concrete. Get a pre-fab contractor, hide all the foreign incomes, and it will be just fine.Good luck
Thanks Joe, a day late and a dollar short. After asking the question and reading the first several posts, I decided to give in, shut up, and let the hard-heads do it their way. Everything you said backed up my argument, but the "carpenters" were going to do it their way no matter what (even if it was my money). As I see the weekly pics come in, I get upset at the trouble and extra expense they go to to pour a cement second floor and hollow block walls, even the interior bedroom walls. I would rather have paid for wood treatment and paint than see this type of construction. I have a feeling that when I retire I am going to build my own, one damn stick at a time! Thanks any way for making me feel that I was correct in the beginning.Willie (another Lee)

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
Thanks Joe, a day late and a dollar short. After asking the question and reading the first several posts, I decided to give in, shut up, and let the hard-heads do it their way. Everything you said backed up my argument, but the "carpenters" were going to do it their way no matter what (even if it was my money). As I see the weekly pics come in, I get upset at the trouble and extra expense they go to to pour a cement second floor and hollow block walls, even the interior bedroom walls. I would rather have paid for wood treatment and paint than see this type of construction. I have a feeling that when I retire I am going to build my own, one damn stick at a time! Thanks any way for making me feel that I was correct in the beginning.Willie (another Lee)
LOL!!!! Sorry for the laugh but it's the only way to face situations as such. i DO KNOW how you feel!!!!! I have been through so many frustrations with construction, you wouldn't imagine!!!! The worst part on it is our wives who do agree with the guy who cannot write his name just because he is telling her "he doesn't know he is foreigner, they do things other way there mom" and she comes nagging you they are right and you think "heck what about all my engineering universities, work and life that makes these huge incomes you all enjoy, they wouldn't pay me if i didn't know" and the frustration goes on and on. Take my advice, you'll feel better, bahala na is called here, live it because you cannot fight it back. Take a beer, have the asawa cook some inihaw na pusit and sit with the workers on the end of the day enjoy the squid, the beer and their stupid talk. You'll be better off like that since at least they will like you and perhaps not totaly rip you off.Welcome in the land of smiles!!!!!!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

As one who has lived in South Florida for 31 years, been thru several huricanes and seen the damage. I would build ANYTHING out of blocks and cement before I would wood. This includes a flat concrete roof, properly water proofed as to have very little resistance to the wind in stoms. I currently am building a 2 story boarding house with the plans drawn to add more floors later, so I have a heavier foundation. As for your 2nd story renovation, you can always add 2-4 filled cement block supports for any added weight you are not comfortable with.I have 11 men working now. Costs me 2300 a day. That is, 2,300 PESOS PER DAY! 2 masons and 7 experienced helpers. No power tools or machinery. No complaints and several men asking to be added to the work force..... I am one happy Kano! As for getting 'them' to do it your way (their way sounds better to me for your 2nd floor work) don't tell them they are wrong. Just tell them they are doing a gfreat job, but you want to do it a different way....See picture,, about 1 week ago. Much progress since then. post-404-0-04106400-1307285254_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-25694800-1307285270_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-61192300-1307285280_thumb.jpg