Rebuilding Old House Second Floor - Need Advice

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted (edited)
As one who has lived in South Florida for 31 years, been thru several huricanes and seen the damage. I would build ANYTHING out of blocks and cement before I would wood. This includes a flat concrete roof, properly water proofed as to have very little resistance to the wind in stoms. I currently am building a 2 story boarding house with the plans drawn to add more floors later, so I have a heavier foundation. As for your 2nd story renovation, you can always add 2-4 filled cement block supports for any added weight you are not comfortable with.I have 11 men working now. Costs me 2300 a day. That is, 2,300 PESOS PER DAY! 2 masons and 7 experienced helpers. No power tools or machinery. No complaints and several men asking to be added to the work force..... I am one happy Kano!As for getting 'them' to do it your way (their way sounds better to me for your 2nd floor work) don't tell them they are wrong. Just tell them they are doing a gfreat job, but you want to do it a different way....See picture,, about 1 week ago. Much progress since then. post-404-0-04106400-1307285254_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-25694800-1307285270_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-61192300-1307285280_thumb.jpg
11 people for 2300p for all of them???? Where is that????? here at manila a mason is 500p/day the skilled labor 300p/day and a just labor 250p/day plus their lunch and snacks. i do have one mason and 3 sklilled and 1 labor, 1650p/day plus 200p/day for their food and snacks=1850p/day for 5 people. Bruce, be careful on this construction. I am not judging your decision for full cement (my house i made it full cement as well, but it made as such from the begining) or trying to be clever. From the 3 pictures you have posted on the first one it seems a 10meters long wall without not even a pilar. You should consider pilars at every 4 meters. They have started the walls without doing anything for the slab basement. these things they have to be connected and tighten the irons together so in an earthquake the one supports the other from the side movement. Unless these photos are the fence of the house, careful!!!! Edited by joeatmanila

Bruce
Posted
Posted
post-404-0-89321100-1307297503_thumb.jpg
As one who has lived in South Florida for 31 years, been thru several huricanes and seen the damage. I would build ANYTHING out of blocks and cement before I would wood. This includes a flat concrete roof, properly water proofed as to have very little resistance to the wind in stoms. I currently am building a 2 story boarding house with the plans drawn to add more floors later, so I have a heavier foundation. As for your 2nd story renovation, you can always add 2-4 filled cement block supports for any added weight you are not comfortable with.I have 11 men working now. Costs me 2300 a day. That is, 2,300 PESOS PER DAY! 2 masons and 7 experienced helpers. No power tools or machinery. No complaints and several men asking to be added to the work force..... I am one happy Kano!As for getting 'them' to do it your way (their way sounds better to me for your 2nd floor work) don't tell them they are wrong. Just tell them they are doing a gfreat job, but you want to do it a different way....See picture,, about 1 week ago. Much progress since then. post-404-0-04106400-1307285254_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-25694800-1307285270_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-61192300-1307285280_thumb.jpg
11 people for 2300p for all of them???? Where is that????? here at manila a mason is 500p/day the skilled labor 300p/day and a just labor 250p/day plus their lunch and snacks. i do have one mason and 3 sklilled and 1 labor, 1650p/day plus 200p/day for their food and snacks=1850p/day for 5 people. Bruce, be careful on this construction. I am not judging your decision for full cement (my house i made it full cement as well, but it made as such from the begining) or trying to be clever. From the 3 pictures you have posted on the first one it seems a 10meters long wall without not even a pilar. You should consider pilars at every 4 meters. They have started the walls without doing anything for the slab basement. these things they have to be connected and tighten the irons together so in an earthquake the one supports the other from the side movement. Unless these photos are the fence of the house, careful!!!!
You are right! The wall you see is a fence wall and not the actual house. The construction is on Samar, town of Catbalogan. I do pay for some 'snacks', whatever that means. I also offered to pay for lunch but the woman who runs things for me said no, that they would expect it! But the labor costs in pesos is 2300 a day + 'snack'...... And in keeping with construction delays... no work was done yesterday (Sunday) as one of the laborers had a birthday and they 'killed a dog' (for eating) and all got drunk........ Some days it just does not pay to be a dog..... The house is being built off of plans made by a well known local guy who does all the commercal buildings. I told him what I wanted and how much I can spend and we worked out a building. Once I have a finished shell, I will finish off the inside in stages. I am also an air con contractor in the US so I have some plumbing and electric experience. Each room for rent will have it's own electric meter. I have a large well on the property so I am adding an exterior water tank and a small pump to fill it fron the well and this will be hooked into all toilets so I am not buying city water to flush the toilets. post-404-0-05381400-1307297486_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-44286600-1307297493_thumb.jpg post-404-0-89321100-1307297503_thumb.jpg

bigfil
Posted
Posted

Hi all My first post here I recently attended conex in Manila and saw some interesting products for building a floor . Question is what are the rules on posting here. I dont want to be accussed of advertising i have a info sheet of the product that i can scan and post CheersPhil

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi all My first post here I recently attended conex in Manila and saw some interesting products for building a floor . Question is what are the rules on posting here. I dont want to be accussed of advertising i have a info sheet of the product that i can scan and post CheersPhil
Welcome to the forum. Hard question for me to answer with just what you posted, so here is a broad answer. As a new member, unless you are a paying member, then you cannot advertise or post links or advertising material. The reason is, that because you are a new member we know little about you, so therefore do not know if you have a business interest in the product you are posting about.So if you have no business interest in the product, then let us get to know you by your posting other helpful info and posts for a while. Possibly introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself to our Members section so that we know a little more about you and what your interests are both in the forum and the Philippines.So if it is your intent to advertise, then please become a paying member by looking HERE, or by earning the right to advertise by posting for a while and helping members with information needed and requested by them until you move up to a higher category than just full member or later on pm the owner of this forum and ask his permission with more details about what you wish to post and why.

bigfil
Posted
Posted
Welcome to the forum. Hard question for me to answer with just what you posted, so here is a broad answer. As a new member, unless you are a paying member, then you cannot advertise or post links or advertising material. The reason is, that because you are a new member we know little about you, so therefore do not know if you have a business interest in the product you are posting about.So if you have no business interest in the product, then let us get to know you by your posting other helpful info and posts for a while. Possibly introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself to our Members section so that we know a little more about you and what your interests are both in the forum and the Philippines.So if it is your intent to advertise, then please become a paying member by looking HERE, or by earning the right to advertise by posting for a while and helping members with information needed and requested by them until you move up to a higher category than just full member or later on pm the owner of this forum and ask his permission with more details about what you wish to post and why.
Ok i joined a while ago and did indeed introduce myself in the proper section I currently live in Singapore and am involved in the construction and fabrication industry hence my attendance of the construction exhibition last month. The product i have in mind was something i saw there that may solve the OP's problems and i am in no way commercially involved with the product.If i can still find the bronchus ill photo shop out the potential offending infoCheers