Big Fire In Cebu, Seems Like Robinsons?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Anyone know what is burning? It is either Robinsons, or possibly Midtown Hotel. We were on our way there from Ayala but could not get near the place because of the smoke filling the walkover, and all the fire engines blocking the road, so anyone know what is burning, and I suspect it is now under control?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Anyone know what is burning? It is either Robinsons, or possibly Midtown Hotel. We were on our way there from Ayala but could not get near the place because of the smoke filling the walkover, and all the fire engines blocking the road, so anyone know what is burning, and I suspect it is now under control?
Probably the Silver Dollar again laugh.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Probably the Silver Dollar again laugh.gif
Nawh, I got my own answer searching the news. HERE Fire hits mall, hotel in Cebu- Several people were trapped inside a shopping center and a hotel in this city after a fire broke out at a boutique inside the mall Sunday afternoon. The fire started around 3 p.m. at Bench store, which is located at the second floor of the Robinson’s Mall. An explosion reportedly occurred, causing the fire. The ceiling of the boutique collapsed.The Cebu City Fire Department received the fire alarm past 3 p.m. It said the fire spread to the Midtown Hotel, which is located just beside the Robinson's Mall, near Fuente Osmena this city.Among those trapped were people who were inside the mall when the fire broke out, as well as those who were inside the elevator at the Midtown Hotel. Most of those trapped were employees of the department store. Rescue operation is ongoing as of this posting Sunday. As of 5:10 p.m., however, several guests at the Midtown Hotel, mostly foreigners, were already rescued. Some customers and employees of the Robinson’s Mall are now safe, radio reports said. Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, who went to the fire scene to monitor the situation, said he is helping equip the firefighters with needed equipment to put out the fire. The firefighters had difficulty penetrating the area due to narrow alleys and thick smoke, particularly at the mall’s third floor, he added. The fire is not yet under control, but the blaze is already confined at the mall. Firefighters have reportedly broken the windows to be able to get into the building. Authorities asked the people to stay away from the fire scene so the firefighters and rescuers can move quickly.(Sunnex) 221658_1679792363418_1495812944_31348664_8314958_n.jpg

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dang….what a mess. Thanks for the update and picture Lee. Wonder where the Transvestites and sexpats will hang out now?:buttkick:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Dang….what a mess. Thanks for the update and picture Lee. Wonder where the Transvestites and sexpats will hang out now?:buttkick:
Yes if that mall stays closed, then it could put a dent in that type of traffic. lolHERE is yet another update for anyone who wishes to follow it.CEBU, Philippines - Firefighters and volunteers were able to safely evacuate all people from a shopping mall and a hotel near Fuente Osmeña after a mid afternoon fire hit the establishment.There was no fire damage to the department store, said the fire officials, but there were goods that sustained water damage.

post-40-0-28254500-1303085420_thumb.jpg

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Follow up. Thank God no one died.20 in hospital after mall fire in Cebu

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

No sprinkler system.No fire alarm. No evacuation plan to notify hotel patrons in an emergency.No stairs to exit from the hotel only one elevator. Fire equipment ladder company only four stories capacity.Few or no Scott Air Packs... this is a very basic breathing item ALL firemen should have on hand always. Great wakeup call to Foreigners visiting Philippines when choosing a hotel, look for stairs in case of an emergency. We each must take resposibility for our own safety on one is going to do it for us.

Braddo
Posted
Posted

That Hotel is where my wife and I stayed for a couple of days in February Funny I never thought of looking for Emergency exits and stairs after this fire I will definitely be looking for another way out other than the LiftsHow complacent one becomes Cheers Braddo

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
That Hotel is where my wife and I stayed for a couple of days in February Funny I never thought of looking for Emergency exits and stairs after this fire I will definitely be looking for another way out other than the LiftsHow complacent one becomes Cheers Braddo
In the States, Oz and Canada we take so many things for granted. The wife and kids and I check out the stairs in hotels after we check-in. We often will walk down the stairs when we leave the hotel, too lazy to walk up em. Edited by Old55

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Apparently no fire alarm and no warning devices of any kind were present. Seems a lot of people must now be out of work, I am sure this will hurt the economy and people of Cebu City if they cannot get the mall back open soon.Mall's lack of cooperation disappoints fire victims