Big Fire In Cebu, Seems Like Robinsons?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife and I walked by Robinson's Mall on our way back from prepaying our PLDT bill on Jones at PLDT and there was about 200 locals standing in line to try to get into the now closed Robinson's Mall, probably for their pay checks. There are now a lot of people out of work here in Cebu City and I am sure this is going to put a dent into the economy here for a while until the mall is repaired and opened again. Maybe they will move to the new Robinson's mall. We observed lots of broken windows and what appears to be the outside elevator windows of the Midtown Hotel, so I do not know if that was new construction or fire related. There were vendors bringing out merchandise onto the sidewalk out front and it all smelled badly from smoke, so I believe none of the merchandise will be good for sale without at least a washing, so I guess we can expect it all to be sold off in a different venue. Some photos below.post-40-0-90109100-1303194100_thumb.jpg post-40-0-00131500-1303194128_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-60758800-1303194151_thumb.jpg post-40-0-26356200-1303194174_thumb.jpg

Braddo
Posted
Posted

Hi Lee,Good Pics of the mall and Hotel, I would not expect Robinsons to be closed down for too long but would they rebuild or go elsewhere? My wife said she read that the fire was mainly downstairs in the mall area not affecting Midtown other than smoke and water damage, be interesting to see how bad the Mall area isCheers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee,Good Pics of the mall and Hotel, I would not expect Robinsons to be closed down for too long but would they rebuild or go elsewhere? My wife said she read that the fire was mainly downstairs in the mall area not affecting Midtown other than smoke and water damage, be interesting to see how bad the Mall area isCheers
They already have a new Robinson's across the street and on the other side of the circle, but it does not have that many store spots available for rent that I saw, but maybe there is part of the mall that I have not seen yet, such as a basement area that I so far do not believe is there, yet it could have one since we have to walk up stairs to get into the mall on one side, so I am guessing there is a basement like the other one has. :unsure: I will check it out next month when my wife and I get back to Cebu after our trip to Mindanao.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Mall fire raises many concerns“City Fire Marshall Aderson Comar said they will ask the government for more equipment such as breathing apparatus, aerial ladders, and a gadget that can draw out smoke.If there is more budget, Comar said, a helicopter will also be a big advantage in rescuing victims from high-rise buildings or in mountain areas where fire trucks and other vehicles cannot go.” “Meanwhile, Mayor Michael Rama yesterday announced that Cebu City has an allocation of P20 million for financial assistance to the Cebu City Fire Department, but Rama said he may not allow the amount to be used to purchase ladders and other firefighting equipment.” “Mayor” “Rama also wants owners of high-rise buildings in Cebu City to be required to have their own fire brigades to quickly respond to fire alarms in their establishments while waiting for the arrival of government firefighters.” After reading this article I’m perplexed. Is the reporting bad or are the Mayor and City Fire Marshall honestly that clueless? The Fire Marshall wants a helicopter but lacks basic equipment.The Mayor has budget for the fire department but “may not allow” instead wants larger building owners to provide their own fire brigades.Only in the Philippines!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Follow up, it could have been electrical wiring that caused the fire, and from what I have seen of electrical wiring here in the Philippines, I am surprised there are not more electrical fires. I wonder if they have electrical permits and inspectors for when new stores open, or for when new buildings are built or old buildings renovated? Anyone know?Comar allows Robinson's to resume operation

Roldan Ventura, stock clerk of Bench boutique, said he saw the electric wires spark at the boutique’s ceiling before the fire started.
So why the heck didn't he tell someone before it became a fire. Poorly trained employees is just one of many problems here, in the US the circuit breaker would have been shut off immediately.

Mavrick
Posted
Posted

I pray for those that need help due to this tragedy.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Follow up, it could have been electrical wiring that caused the fire, and from what I have seen of electrical wiring here in the Philippines, I am surprised there are not more electrical fires. I wonder if they have electrical permits and inspectors for when new stores open, or for when new buildings are built or old buildings renovated? Anyone know?Comar allows Robinson's to resume operation
Roldan Ventura, stock clerk of Bench boutique, said he saw the electric wires spark at the boutique’s ceiling before the fire started.
So why the heck didn't he tell someone before it became a fire. Poorly trained employees is just one of many problems here, in the US the circuit breaker would have been shut off immediately.
The circuit breaker may of switched off but if the wiring had already started to burn it would make no difference,wiring burning starts other things to burn.