Living on $800

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As comparing:

Year 2006

35 % of the Filipins earned less than 1000 USD per YEAR.

Average Filipin MIDDLE class earned around 10 000 USD per year = 830 USD per month.

But is that one individual? Now there are 10 of them living together in one house sharing cost so its different than say one expat paying rent and everything on his own. I think.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

As comparing:

Year 2006

35 % of the Filipins earned less than 1000 USD per YEAR.

Average Filipin MIDDLE class earned around 10 000 USD per year = 830 USD per month.

But is that one individual? Now there are 10 of them living together in one house sharing cost so its different than say one expat paying rent and everything on his own. I think.

That page don't tell. Don't tell how they define "Middle class" either.

Some other comparing:

A law "Minimum salary" is around 7000 pesos per month (some different in different provinces) but many don't get that! (E g many of the maids, people only get temporary work, many small business owners...) Of course even with 7000 pesos it's very hard for a big family when only one earn money. But I know a family with 4 grown ups and 2 small children with 3 workers and one of the grown ups taking care of both children although they have different parents. They are some short of cash - but two of them think they afford rather many beer :) - they live rather OK in a small stone house, affording having an old computer, but it took some time before they afforded to repair it, when it broke.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

as someone has said before 800 or 1800 you will spend the lot if its there, its hard working the figures out in dollars for me its either pounds or pesos, in england i can live very well on a lot less, thats if you dont add the car, the insurance and household bills and the other bits and bobs, also when we are in the phils there will be only the two of us, renting will be the first thing we do so i am prepared to lose that money just to make sure i have done the right thing, then if its right well who knows what may happen, the plans change every month with me, lets have a cheap base then just tout the world, the small place will be near the sisters house so they could use it or rent it out, to me its all a dream for now, but also its down to me to make my dreams come true

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

I have just got back from my first trip to Cebu (November 2012). I consider myself to be a typical middle class American, and there is no way I could live there for $800/month and be happy. Sure, there are probably ways to skrimp and survive, but it would'nt be living.

From what I saw, Cebu has a distinct but fine line between filipino life style and western extragavince . And if you cross that line, there is drastic economic difference.

So my advice? If you think you can cross that line, make sure you try it first - because I thought I could before my last trip. And I now know I won't be able to live on $800/month there.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
But I have to hand it to the Aussies, they have learned to live with all manner of critters and it does not bother them in the least.

You have no idea of Australia other than the TV :hystery:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
But I have to hand it to the Aussies, they have learned to live with all manner of critters and it does not bother them in the least.

You have no idea of Australia other than the TV :hystery:

A dingo ate my TV! :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You have no idea of Australia other than the TV

Correct, no idea of Australia. Never been there. Its Australians I know, because they all come here. And I stand by my statement, the creatures here do not seem to bother them.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

So after reading this thread would it be safe to say that my 1700/month (AUD - slightly higher than USD) pension would be more than sufficient?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Short answer: Doable

Long answer: Sufficient is a variable word. Not sufficient for me but plenty sufficient for others.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Short answer: Doable

Long answer: Sufficient is a variable word. Not sufficient for me but plenty sufficient for others.

I'm not a guy that needs "stuff" so should be ok but I'll find out when I get there I reckon. I'm loath to tap into the income I earn from the unit/flat/condo (choose your national nomenclature) I own in Sydney, it's just about paid itself off and my escape plan.

• Like 3