Living on $800

Bundy
Posted
Posted

i think its best to start of like this but also having savings behind you for the just in case and the £500 will not include rent

This is exactly what we are doing.

Around AUD$800 a month and we do have backup if needed. To answer the other question, no we could not do it if we were also paying rent, even with our very modest lifestyle to pay 5 or 10 thousand pesos out of the monthly budget for rent would be stretching things too far.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

We do it for around $1100.00 per month US including rent ..... but we don't smoke .... drink ... party or entertain and eat out more than once a week ..... I also don't crave much in the way of foreign foods which as some will tell you jacks the price up a whole bunch .... IMHO ..... you better have something in reserve for healthcare and emergencies ..... to only have $800 with nothing to fall back on is again IMHO cutting it way to close now days ..... especially with the exchange rates being what they are .... we loose almost p5000 per month because of the lousy exchange rate ...... and it could get worst ..... don't cut yourself short .... it's a long lonely trip back to where you came from ..... if you can go back that is .... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

According to the link earthdome posted in an other topic http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

the Philippine government expect retired foreigners to manage to live at such level :)

To get a type of VISA they need to have 10 000 USD in deposit

plus

Show proof of monthly pension remitted to the Philippines (US$800.00 for single applicant and US$1,000.00 for married couples)

:)

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

According to the link earthdome posted in an other topic http://www.pra.gov.p..._program?page=1

the Philippine government expect retired foreigners to manage to live at such level :)

plus

Show proof of monthly pension remitted to the Philippines (US$800.00 for single applicant and US$1,000.00 for married couples)

So you have to pay them $800 dollars a month? From my understanding and the research I've done that's not the case. I think it's badly worded or the meaning of "remitted" has changed since I went to school.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

According to the link earthdome posted in an other topic http://www.pra.gov.p..._program?page=1

plus

So you have to pay them $800 dollars a month? From my understanding and the research I've done that's not the case. I think it's badly worded or the meaning of "remitted" has changed since I went to school.

You have to deposit $10,000 USD in a special account (you earn some interest and can use the money to purchase a condo) and then prove to the Philippine Retirement Authority that you have sufficient pension to live in Philippines.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
According to the link earthdome posted in an other topic the Philippine government expect retired foreigners to manage to live at such level

Are you sure? It suggests that they are willing to let you try to live on that much so they can collect a bunch of fees but you need to have the US$10,000 so you can get out of the country when you find out you can't do it :hystery:

In all seriousness, I could probably do it if I absolutely had to survive and there was no wife and kid, but just this week for example I had to spend 20,000 pesos because my 2 month old baby came down with pneumonia and needed to be treated in hospital. (He's fine now.) The amount is quite reasonable but it would still kill an 800 a month.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

again some good thought have gone into this , yes it can be done by so many and some just cant, if i had a family i could not i know that, but end of the day we all have a budget to live by no matter where you live, so far so good for me and Emma, we both are wanting to live and explore more of the phils, even though deep down Ems would love to be closer to her family she has chosen to live my dream for now, whether we stay around Bohol or travel the world while we can afford to do so she is by myside

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
According to the link earthdome posted in an other topic the Philippine government expect retired foreigners to manage to live at such level

Are you sure? It suggests that they are willing to let you try to live on that much so they can collect a bunch of fees but you need to have the US$10,000 so you can get out of the country when you find out you can't do it :hystery:

In all seriousness, I could probably do it if I absolutely had to survive and there was no wife and kid, but just this week for example I had to spend 20,000 pesos because my 2 month old baby came down with pneumonia and needed to be treated in hospital. (He's fine now.) The amount is quite reasonable but it would still kill an 800 a month.

Yes, but then you talk about MORE people. In the VISA text they say

/800 USD/month for one SINGLE foreigner

/1000 USD/month for one foreigner and wife.

In the VISA text they don't demand any higher regular income when it's more people than two, but they demand additional 15 000 USD in deposit per additional dependant person. I suppouse they count your baby as dependant of you :)

• Like 1