Why Are Taxis In Cebu Soooooo Old?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Up until this vacation, I really did not realize just how old and junkie the taxis in Cebu are, when compared to other places. Cagayan de Oro, which should not hold a candle to the people who visit Cebu, has nothing but almost new taxis, so why the heck does Cebu have all the trash taxis?Does the area you visit have newer taxis, or older ones? I am curious because CDO is not booming as much as Cebu seems to be, so why can the taxi owners afford newer cars and those in Cebu keep that old trash on the road?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Up until this vacation, I really did not realize just how old and junkie the taxis in Cebu are, when compared to other places. Cagayan de Oro, which should not hold a candle to the people who visit Cebu, has nothing but almost new taxis, so why the heck does Cebu have all the trash taxis? Does the area you visit have newer taxis, or older ones? I am curious because CDO is not booming as much as Cebu seems to be, so why can the taxi owners afford newer cars and those in Cebu keep that old trash on the road?
Great question Lee. I'm curious to know too. The fact is many of the Cebu cabs are clearly unsafe even at modest speeds it seems to get worse very year we visit.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted (edited)

It surprises me to hear that there are taxi's in Cebu like in Manila! I have some horror stories from taking taxies in Pasig and Ortigas. One night going to work, the driver (who was wearing the bottoms of coke bottles for glasses) fell asleep! not only once but twice, and this was during a 10 minute drive!!I am arriving in Cebu on Friday, (first time) for several job interviews, and would like to know what to expect taking a taxi from the airport to AS Fortuna Street in Mandaue. Can anyone help?post-1425-0-65615200-1303918793_thumb.jp

Edited by Boss Man
fixed image,add to post

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It surprises me to hear that there are taxi's in Cebu like in Manila! I have some horror stories from taking taxies in Pasig and Ortigas. One night going to work, the driver (who was wearing the bottoms of coke bottles for glasses) fell asleep! not only once but twice, and this was during a 10 minute drive!!I am arriving in Cebu on Friday, (first time) for several job interviews, and would like to know what to expect taking a taxi from the airport to AS Fortuna Street in Mandaue. Can anyone help?
The yellow taxis at the airport will charge a slightly higher rate than the white taxis, so demand a new taxi for that rate, and if they refuse to give one to you, then walk left once outside to the end and then walk right up the ramp or stairs and go to the departure area and wait there for a nice clean white taxis who drops someone off, and then get in and say meter lang or metro lang and as long as he is willing to use the meter, then take one of those. My wife and I do it all the time and it saves us a bunch of money because those dropping off people, are happy to get another passenger. Just as a note, the yellow one usually costs us an extra p100 to our condo near the capital, so the yellow one would not end up costing you that much more than a white to where you are going, because it should be a lot shorter than our ride. I made a post HERE which is a little outdated, but the basics are still there on how to get a less expensive white taxi in Cebu and others added their comments and adjustments to my post. While the guards may try to stop them from picking you up, just find a place where there are no guards and hang out until you find a newer one, or give the guard p10 or p20 and be friendly.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Up until this vacation, I really did not realize just how old and junkie the taxis in Cebu are, when compared to other places. Cagayan de Oro, which should not hold a candle to the people who visit Cebu, has nothing but almost new taxis, so why the heck does Cebu have all the trash taxis? Does the area you visit have newer taxis, or older ones? I am curious because CDO is not booming as much as Cebu seems to be, so why can the taxi owners afford newer cars and those in Cebu keep that old trash on the road?
I find that each year that I visit there are more and more new taxis,I guess Cebu being a larger city which would have many more taxis than CDO so it may seem like it has more trash vehicles or just takes longer to replace them all.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice and links Lee, I am sure I will be OK. I am used to taking tricycles, jeepneys, buses and just about all the forms of travel in Manila and in Negros. It helps to know before you jump and I must admit I have some time on my hands after the appointments so will be looking around while I am there tomorrow.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the advice and links Lee, I am sure I will be OK. I am used to taking tricycles, jeepneys, buses and just about all the forms of travel in Manila and in Negros. It helps to know before you jump and I must admit I have some time on my hands after the appointments so will be looking around while I am there tomorrow.
Sorry we are not there to meet up with you because we are presently in Cagayan de Oro and will not be back to Cebu until Saturday afternoon, but if you are still there on Sunday then we could meet up if you want Kuya to Kuya :lol: and have some coffee and chat. Otherwise hope to meet up with you one day and good luck on the job interview, hope you get it, if it is what you seek. :unsure:

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Sorry we are not there to meet up with you because we are presently in Cagayan de Oro and will not be back to Cebu until Saturday afternoon, but if you are still there on Sunday then we could meet up if you want Kuya to Kuya :yes: and have some coffee and chat. Otherwise hope to meet up with you one day and good luck on the job interview, hope you get it, if it is what you seek. :lol:
Thanks Lee, only in Cebu for the day. Fly in around 1pm and out at around 11pm. But looking for to the Kuya to Kuya :unsure:next time maybe. It would be good to actually meet some of the people I am interacting with. This is my first forum that I signed up as a member and actually posted regularly. Still finding my way around what to look for and where and how to include images and information with my posts.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

We just arrived at Cebu Mactan airport yesterday and the info in this thread is still valid. Upon arrival my wife and I walked to the right exit of the domestic airport, and then walked up the stairs to the right (Markhams idea) and while the sign read yellow taxi stand with an arrow, the taxis there were white and using regular meters, so we got into one and the taxi stand guy handed me a slip of paper with the taxi number on it. The cost to our condo was less than p220 and while it used to cost a lot less with the old meter, the meter on the yellow cab last trip in February with all our 4 luggages plus 2 carry ons, my wifes large pocketbook, and my laptop case, so it was closer to around p300, since all that was too heavy to even try to carry up the stairs.

daisy
Posted
Posted

Newer taxies in CDO compared to any other cities in the Philippines is one of LTFRB-10's pride. Yes, there are negative and positve comments on this issue directed towards the LTFRB Regional Director, but in the end, it gives more benefit to the taxi riding public, therefore whatever "politics" inside LTFRB the general public is not concerned about it I guess! All I know that as a Kagay-anon I can choose the best "good looking taxi", good aircon and good music at the same price with the old ones! I'm back....