Retirement Visa Or Not?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
There is no simple answer to the question "which is the best visa". It depends on so many things and these we explore BEFORE giving any visa advice:-
  • How old are you? - pointless paying a lot of money for a "quota visa" if your life expectancy is less than 10 years.
  • How often do you travel out of the country? - not gonna give all the answers away but this is a major consideration, cost wise.
  • Do you want to work here?
  • Where is your income generated?
  • Do you have a pension?

the list of questions goes on and on. Getting the right visa for you is like buying a car - some will want an environmentally friendly Smart car while some will want a Hummer!My best general advice is to live here for a year or two as a tourist, then decide.

Yeah I think that is the answer, I will have social security maybe start some export business.. but don't quite know. No i don't necessarily need to travel.. I am 64 so retirement visa is okay but I think your point along with all the other guys' information tells me to wait...and the retirement visa doesn't seem like such a bargain after the other guys pointed out the costs versus tourist option. Thank to all for you infoEd
I believe the retirement visa allows you to work, the tourist visa does not, and a person caught working on a tourist visa will be deported and most likely black listed, so never able to return again, so if you intend to work, which is what you wrote above, then the retirement visa would be a better option as long as it allows you to work. One piece of advice I have that I think is important, when in the Philippines one must try to stay within the law in order to not possibly end up deported and blacklisted, since that seems to be the norm, and IMO if you are on a retirement visa, you will have less chance of being deported if you make a minor mistake. Why do I know this, a friend has one and he has been given so much slack at times, that I am almost positive that had he been a tourist, that he would have been long gone by now.
  • Like 1

The Eagle
Posted
Posted

Thanks Kuya, don't know about work yet... I need to do more homework... that is for sure after all your guys advice. Won't rush into anything( famous last words!):AddEmoticons04230:

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I believe the retirement visa allows you to work, the tourist visa does not ..........
It does but be aware you still need to get an AEP - Alien Employment Permit - as although a long term residents, people under this scheme do not have permanent resident status.
  • Like 1