Why Do Some Foreigners Seem To Over Build Homes?

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Cheryl knows of a 2 bedroom house for sale at 80,000no idea what its like, but the lands got to be worth that ?
It is worth finding out where it is, what is the size etc etc etc. as at that price I could always try and borrow the money. It would be a secure investment for Ellie and Chiya. Let me know what you find.Thanks
Hey, if we can talk them down to say P60000, you and I can go halves. laugh.gif
Sounds good to me, so long as you don't mind me being the permanent resident!!! Oh and Ellie and Chiya of course! Tell you what we will include a room ...., with a door.... and your name on it!!! Maybe the CR? Ha HaCarl
Besides Bass Man, I thought you were going to buy that Villa and let Ellie and I stay in one of the Guest Houses?????Carl
lol, I will be lucky to pay the hosting for this forum so no villas or cheap houses for me. SugarwareZ-034.gif
Hey Boss Man, glad no one noticed my misspell on the previous thread "Bass Man" not saying that you don't like fishing, but just don't like making mistakes, and don't want to offend anyone!Just a thought with the hosting costs, if we all pooled together with our answers in one thread at the same time, would it bring down the costs? Ha no I suppose not. As I use this forum with increasing frequency and get so much pleasure from doing so, I wish there was a way I could help with the costs. Wait, when my boat comes in, or when I win the lottery I will "Donate" as I am sure there are not many donations coming in to help with the costs.I for one am very grateful for this forum and when I can...., I will and that is a promise!!Papa Carl aka Kuya Carl

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

80000 what?

Jake
Posted
Posted
80000 what?
I believe Brock quoted the two bedroom as: 80000 Philippine pesos = 1752.84 Australian dollars. Sounds too good to be true but he's right, the property itself may be worth that alone. If you in the market, some of the things to consider can be found here: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=18642 Respectfully -- Jake

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
Cheryl knows of a 2 bedroom house for sale at 80,000no idea what its like, but the lands got to be worth that ?
Unless it's really really remote, sounds like it's on a government property. People actually do sell their houses for amounts like this and below. How long you're able to stay there, is another question. Could be two weeks, 25 years or more. Sell it to another foreigner just before the demolition executives arrive, telling him the same!

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think real estate in the P.I. is way over price.

Edited by oldutot

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Regarding property in the Phils, i came to the conclusion very early. Never spend more than you could afford to walk away from.You see it time and time again where a foreigner builds a massive western style house, then a few years later, circumstances change, things happen, and they need to sell. My wife saw this problem too and is quite happy for us to leave our money in Australia.Also, it's not my idea to be living in a huge fancy house there, if i really needed that, then i'd just stay where i am.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Im glad my parents overbuilt our fortress home 40 years ago, it still stands proud in olongapo. no holow blocks, all formed and poured concrete ,2 feet thick walls. built to last.:unsure: tanks EJ.post-1250-0-77383200-1305350051_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Futureretiree's post has been moved to HERE so it can be discussed in full without taking this topic in a different direction.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The best answer I got to this question was in an email, (some people still do not wish to post) as to why we tend to overbuild, because many of us are all trying to duplicate our lifestyle back home. And because many of us do not understand the Philippines when we first get here, so therefore sometimes listen to the advice of our wives or a builder who thinks we are very rich, so they build what they would like. The only problem with that is, here in the Philippines, fewer people have the money or the ability to borrow the money to buy higher end homes, so for those who build them, the only hopes of selling them would be to another foreigner, or to a rich Filipino, yet since there are so many for sale, those that can afford to buy them, will only buy them if the price is right for them, which would be way below replacement cost or market value.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Build a house of anything more than 2 million and chances are 99% you keep it forever, cannot re-sell it. At my subdivision which has a vast expansion over the 8 years it was created, now they build more and more low cost houses. I asked how comes, simply the cheapest sell like cookies.If you want to make money over housing projects build a bare unit of 25-40m2 for a cost of 200-250k and sell it for 400-500k. You made an ugly cheap worthless piece of crap but hey...you made 100% profit.

• Like 2