Has Anyone Ever Thought About Owning Their Own Forum?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I know that before I found out how much work it is to run a forum, that I thought about owning my own, and I even had been offered one by a friend who was willing to front all the cash, but I declined. So I was just wondering if anyone ever thought about owning their own forum, and if so what type of forum would it be? What might be the topic that people would think might be a winner? Heck maybe Boss Man can set one up for you, if you are truly interested.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I know that before I found out how much work it is to run a forum, that I thought about owning my own, and I even had been offered one by a friend who was willing to front all the cash, but I declined. So I was just wondering if anyone ever thought about owning their own forum, and if so what type of forum would it be? What might be the topic that people would think might be a winner? Heck maybe Boss Man can set one up for you, if you are truly interested.
NO!th_banned1.gif

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

What cash?I can install a forum for $30.I have a few and work can be zero if you let a Moderator help you.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifNo! I don't have the patience or mentality for it! I enjoy my peace of mind as a content retiree!AddEmoticons04230.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What cash?I can install a forum for $30.I have a few and work can be zero if you let a Moderator help you.
Yes anyone can install a free software forum but dont forget to pay for the hosting. When you use paid software like this you first buy the software and then pay an ongoing licencee fee for support and upgrades and each feature such as blog and gallery are an added cost.Then comes purchase of skins unless you want to have the same boring standard skin, as there are often upgrades to the software often skins need to be changed or updated and sometimes a new purchase.And some other hooks as there called here are purchased as not are all free so I congratulate you on your free forum software and if the work load is zero for you then another bonus.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifNo! I don't have the patience or mentality for it! I enjoy my peace of mind as a content retiree!AddEmoticons04230.gif
I do not blame you Art, I do not wish to own one either, but it is just that over the years a number of people had contacted me and said they wanted to own a forum, so it got me wondering if other forum users would also want to own a forum. They have free software out there such as the other forum which I met you on, and then there is this type which is much better IMO since I have played with them both, but this one is much more complicated.I guess I was wondering what ideas members might think is good for forums, sort of trying to see what interests different people. I think that the internet is already full of forums and they do take lots of time to get going, but who knows, there is always room for another one if the topic where something of interest to many. Always thinking to just keep my old brain going. As for Wallaby's comment, since you have a few, how are they going for you?

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Why? this forum is doing just fine :)

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
As for Wallaby's comment, since you have a few, how are they going for you?
If you wonder about getting revenue from Forum, I say forget it, it's not that easy and there are many better alternatives but they each require time, dedication and skills, particularly SEO skills otherwise with the competition of these days your work may be a waste of time.The main one I have is just about Italians wanting to go abroad so given my experience I help them and I'm passionate about it so I'm happy with it but haven't had yet time to market it well and as I said without the efforts I mentioned, if they already are not searching for you, it's hard to get a big community.However, if you have a passion, like for blogging, you can always start one and if content is good, visitors will come. They need a reason to get you like for this forum, I googled "expats Philippines" and I got here.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
Yes anyone can install a free software forum but dont forget to pay for the hosting. When you use paid software like this you first buy the software and then pay an ongoing licencee fee for support and upgrades and each feature such as blog and gallery are an added cost.Then comes purchase of skins unless you want to have the same boring standard skin, as there are often upgrades to the software often skins need to be changed or updated and sometimes a new purchase. And some other hooks as there called here are purchased as not are all free so I congratulate you on your free forum software and if the work load is zero for you then another bonus.
well since I already need hosting as I host many sites, unless you need dedicated hosting, that's not an issue.....it all depends from traffic, but yes if you want to be on your own hosting that's at least $60 per year/US hosting. And you can always start with free hosting which isn't a good option if you need reliability 24/7 but at least you see how you go without spending much.In regards to free vs paid forum software, I don't know this one you are using here so I can't comment pro and cons but I know some free ones are just as good. My favourite one is MYBBLots of free skins too.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Why? this forum is doing just fine :as-if:
No! :) I should think it would take some time, effort, money etc etc etc. Not to mention the devotion and aggravation at times more than likely. Also I have noticed as Lee said there are many many of them out there, but quite often they are not used daily. In fact for some of them they appear to not have had any traffic in months. Alternatively the ones that have a multitude of traffic daily are all about Sex...., there are lots of them, and I believe there is so much more to the Philippines than naked women and what they do. Also at least for the women members on this forum, they appear to have just as much to say, and just as valid as the men, Foreigner or Filipino!Besides there seems to be a good group on this forum, :grouphugg:Topics? I'll think of a few that will get reactions from the members without it being politics or sex. I'll leave the moderating to someone wiser than I.No I will leave it in the capable hands of Boss Man, besides, I don't have the 30$ to set up my own. :SugarwareZ-034:Carl