Has Anyone Ever Thought About Owning Their Own Forum?

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
Why? this forum is doing just fine :as-if:
No! :) I should think it would take some time, effort, money etc etc etc. Not to mention the devotion and aggravation at times more than likely. Also I have noticed as Lee said there are many many of them out there, but quite often they are not used daily. In fact for some of them they appear to not have had any traffic in months. Alternatively the ones that have a multitude of traffic daily are all about Sex...., there are lots of them, and I believe there is so much more to the Philippines than naked women and what they do. Also at least for the women members on this forum, they appear to have just as much to say, and just as valid as the men, Foreigner or Filipino!Besides there seems to be a good group on this forum, :grouphugg:Topics? I'll think of a few that will get reactions from the members without it being politics or sex. I'll leave the moderating to someone wiser than I.No I will leave it in the capable hands of Boss Man, besides, I don't have the 30$ to set up my own. :SugarwareZ-034:Carl
FinanceCarsPropertyFashionFishingHealthPokeryou name it...

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Why? this forum is doing just fine :as-if:
No! :) I should think it would take some time, effort, money etc etc etc. Not to mention the devotion and aggravation at times more than likely. Also I have noticed as Lee said there are many many of them out there, but quite often they are not used daily. In fact for some of them they appear to not have had any traffic in months. Alternatively the ones that have a multitude of traffic daily are all about Sex...., there are lots of them, and I believe there is so much more to the Philippines than naked women and what they do. Also at least for the women members on this forum, they appear to have just as much to say, and just as valid as the men, Foreigner or Filipino!Besides there seems to be a good group on this forum, :grouphugg:Topics? I'll think of a few that will get reactions from the members without it being politics or sex. I'll leave the moderating to someone wiser than I.No I will leave it in the capable hands of Boss Man, besides, I don't have the 30$ to set up my own. :SugarwareZ-034:Carl
FinanceCarsPropertyFashionFishingHealthPokeryou name it...
S-X with one personS-X with two peopleS-X with groupsS-X with animalsS-X with yourselfS-X with people of the same s-XS-X with objectsS-X with Aliens!!!!And on and on and on!, yes there are many subjects to have on a forum, and many forums with lots of activity for a day or two, but look back in this forum, find a day that there weren't many entries and views. Compare that to most of the other forums about the Philippines or Cebu that ban S-X as a topc!!!No I think this forum has good support and participation consider what we are not allowed to talk about! And still there is lots to learn and share every day!!Well done guysKuya CarlGreat suggestion Wallaby for some topcs, now start the ball rolling!! Make a comment.Kuya Carl

Keg
Posted
Posted

thought about owning a motorcycle forum

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I have owned many yahoo groups previously. They cost nothing at all, except time. But they are so limiting as once a few days have gone by, information is forced to the back ground and replaced by the latest messages.Bossman must have though they are limiting too!First of all, there was a yahoo group called Philippine Dreams or something similar. Owned by Perry Gamsby. It was deleted for not meeting yahoo guidelines. To save the name, my friend Jim langlands started up another yahoo group with the same name. Perry wasn't thankfull at all and started another yahoo group called Phlippine Dreams 1. Jim Langlands was left with his Philippine Dream yahoo group and didn't know what to do with it. So he changed it to "Another Philippines Group", which Bossman joined.I had access to all of Jim's websites and groups as I was his web host and helped maintain his glass business website. After Jim langlands died, I decided I had no interest in "Another Philippines Group" and looked for a new owner. Bossman decided he would have a go and changed the name to "Welcome to the Philippines" Obviously a yahoo group was too limiting for Bossman so he stared a forum instead called " Welcome to the Philippines" which has since been changed to what we have today, "Philippines Expat Forum"I used to host a Cebu forum familiar to many of you, when I was in business with Paul Petrea. At the time, I paid for 180gb of downloads per month and 8gb of storage space. This was so people could download my videos. In comparison to the videos, the hosting of the forum took up nothing much at all.Regards; Jim

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have owned many yahoo groups previously. They cost nothing at all, except time. But they are so limiting as once a few days have gone by, information is forced to the back ground and replaced by the latest messages.Bossman must have though they are limiting too!First of all, there was a yahoo group called Philippine Dreams or something similar. Owned by Perry Gamsby. It was deleted for not meeting yahoo guidelines. To save the name, my friend Jim langlands started up another yahoo group with the same name. Perry wasn't thankfull at all and started another yahoo group called Phlippine Dreams 1. Jim Langlands was left with his Philippine Dream yahoo group and didn't know what to do with it. So he changed it to "Another Philippines Group", which Bossman joined.I had access to all of Jim's websites and groups as I was his web host and helped maintain his glass business website. After Jim langlands died, I decided I had no interest in "Another Philippines Group" and looked for a new owner. Bossman decided he would have a go and changed the name to "Welcome to the Philippines" Obviously a yahoo group was too limiting for Bossman so he stared a forum instead called " Welcome to the Philippines" which has since been changed to what we have today, "Philippines Expat Forum"I used to host a Cebu forum familiar to many of you, when I was in business with Paul Petrea. At the time, I paid for 180gb of downloads per month and 8gb of storage space. This was so people could download my videos. In comparison to the videos, the hosting of the forum took up nothing much at all.Regards; Jim
Ah history and memories of the old yahoo group. Welcome to the Philippines yahoo group would still be going today except someone hacked into it and changed me out of admin which meant I could not do anything or moderate posts anymore, yahoo support would not help me get back to admin and owner of the site which meant it was no good to me anymore. I did however start a new group but gave up as it was just to hard to get it moving.Memoriesssssssssssssss

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
You got me reminiscing Jim. I first got into Philippines online with Perry Gamsby’s Yahoo group. Perry was an outstanding writer truly gifted and very attuned to Filipino culture. I wish he had become successful living there.Tom’s forum is not the largest but IMO the best. Jim’s blog and video links are great too. I wish you would add more video even though YouTube has pushed it aside.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I bet cha, if anyone had a forum that specialized on the cheapest prices in town of anything for sale in any region of the Philippines for example like, gas prices, fresh food (nothing double dead), designer cloths(only brand labels misspelled sometimes), live stock, animal feed, buyers of livestock ready for slaughter, appliances, electronics, services for barter and etc and can post it on a daily basis and up to the minute! No, it's not like eBay Philippines, Craig's list or Sulit.com, similar but only locally where you have a paid staff of people who goes out into the field in every region of the Philippines updating the owner's forum where also the staff and the owner get a 3 to 5% cut of the action from the vendors or sellers who are registered with the forum site, just the stuff that would appeal to your average Filipinos or some foreigners! Is that legal? It's sort of like telemarketing ain't it? I don't know! It was just a dumb "light bulb moment"! crack-up.gifwt-hell.giflmao.gifSugarwareZ-037.gifmocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro